• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League 1 this season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While it's too early at this stage to predict league placings, what do people make of the relative strengths/weaknesses of the sides coming into this league?

Relegated from the Championship

Scunthorpe and Colchester both seemed to be punching above their weight at that level, Scunny losing the strikers who'd got them there. Colchester do have a new ground, but I can't see either getting above mid-table.
Leicester are an enigma due to their Chairman. I was surprised he got rid of Holloway after letting him bring a number of players in and so-called big teams often initially struggle at this level.
I'd say these are collectively weaker than those who have gone up, both in playing staff and finances

Promoted from League 2

Peterborough and MK both have money, but the changes in management at Franchise FC means that the Posh are more likely to make an impact. Hereford have an experienced manager and should stay up, but Stockport may struggle, though Peter Thompson will be an asset if that deal goes through.
None of the relegated sides had much going for them, so by my reckoning the promoted sides have strengthened this league.

Those that remain

There doesn't seem to have been a great deal of investment anywhere, maybe the credit crunch is biting? Leeds, without any points penalties this year look the strongest placed.
Overall, would reckon that this league appears slightly weaker than last season,but at this point in time would assert the same about the Rovers squad too.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good analysis, Boz. If you're right, Tranmere will finish in mid-table or just below, which feels about right given the comings and goings.

Red Devil

Player
Moore, or Less
Rovers had so much potential then lost it. Can I ask, if anyone is in the know, what is Rovers scouting system like? There used to be some excellent teams on the Wirral.