• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Latics 0, Rovers 1

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A hard-fought but deserved win, according to what I've heard. Even better was the fact that no-one else in the top six won, so we are five points ahead again. Pleased for Adam McGurk, as it will do his confidence no harm. How good was Fonners' save at the end? Look forward to the reports from the SWA attending.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes another good away win 6 now so far this season and a nice little gap at the top, worryingly another injury this time to Holmes we seem to be getting more than our fair share of injuries at the moment.

DIW

Player
Goodison
I was at the game today so here is a report.

First of all we really have some tossers in our away crowd. After getting into the ground I moved once to get away from that incessant bloody drumming only to find the little ****s with the drum were following me around. Really irritating. Added top which the irony of some of the chants. 'Danny Holmes is a white, he hates Wrexham' was immediately followed by 'Wales Number 1'! Odd.

Having said that the support from the SWA was really impressive, very loud and must have helped the team. Oldham is grim by the way.

Onto the game. We started well and although the first half was mostly even we had three good chances right at the end of the half, the last of which saw Cassidy clean through on the keeper and should have done better. Holmes went off injured after about 15 minutes and was replaced by Kay. he did ok but reminded us all why Holmes is first choice. Some of his clearances were poor indeed - straight down the middle.

In the second half, when I had moved away from thw bloody drum, we started ok and then got the goal with a cracking volleyed finish from Adam McGurk - well done to the lad who generally had a decent game. After that we tended to start to sit back and then sit back some more. This invited them on and we soaked up alot of pressure causing thw last 10 minutes to be somewhat tense. However we defended stoutly and Fonners made a couple of good saves. Where the hell the ref got the injury time from I do not know and he even seemed to add a couple of extra minutes on on top.

So an excellent three points and you could tell what it meant to the lads and Ronnies. Best sight of the day was Fonners sprinting the length of the field to celebrate in front of the SWA. And other results went for us.

17 games in and still top.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Agree with most of DIW's comments. Today's performance was all about guts and determination, against a dogged Oldham side that is a mirror image of its manager. We did play some good stuff at times, particularly in the first half an hour, but were never at our fluent best: we can't lose key players from the side week after week without it having some impact on our performance.

Although the match was even in terms of possession, there was a difference in class in the final third, as Rovers had four or five clear cut chances whereas Fonners only really had two saves to make in the whole game; the one in injury time looked spectacular, but was a save you would expect him to make. I thought both centre halves were excellent, while Wallace and Cassidy in particular also worked extremely hard.

I would agree that we missed Holmes' presence at the back, particularly in the final twenty minutes. Danny always seems to find a sensible pass to a midfielder or wide player whereas Kay did punt it long too often, with the result that we turned over possession and invited more pressure.

There seems to be a pattern developing of opposition teams attempting to put one of our players on crutches in the opening ten minutes of games. I would certainly like to see the tackle on Holmes again, as it looked like a possible straight red offence to me.

This was the kind of game we would never have won with a depleted team in previous seasons, and our away record is incredible: 6 wins, 2 draws 1 defeat. Roll on Braintree on Tuesday.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I was at the game today so here is a report.

First of all we really have some tossers in our away crowd. After getting into the ground I moved once to get away from that incessant bloody drumming only to find the little ****s with the drum were following me around. Really irritating. Added top which the irony of some of the chants. 'Danny Holmes is a white, he hates Wrexham' was immediately followed by 'Wales Number 1'! Odd.

We need more kids with drums and the irony is more self-aware than you give credit for imo.

Kay is a conference player, we need Holmes back asap.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This was the kind of game we would never have won with a depleted team in previous seasons, and our away record is incredible: 6 wins, 2 draws 1 defeat. Roll on Braintree on Tuesday.
Depleted team or not, we would never have won that in previous seasons as we had no cutting edge. That would have ended 0-0.

Big difference this season is that we can score goals.

Brilliant result.

Derek was saying Taylor and Gibson were immense at the back.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Depleted team or not, we would never have won that in previous seasons as we had no cutting edge. That would have ended 0-0.

Big difference this season is that we can score goals.

Brilliant result.

Derek was saying Taylor and Gibson were immense at the back.

great win but ... poor finishing in first half :-k

Fans in fancy dress...mexicans and scousers,drumers.

Glad to see fans enjoying the good times...

Even great pies?

Oldham makes Birkenhead look like marbella..!
:cold:

Player
Manager
John King
We need more kids with drums and the irony is more self-aware than you give credit for imo.

I thought our fans were great yesterday, good humoured and gave terrific support to the team throughout the ninety minutes. I have noticed on the Oldham websites that some of their fans have commented to the same effect.

DIW

Player
Goodison
As i said, the support was excellent. So loud in fact that you could hear nothing from the home end.
I had a steak and kidney pie and was a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good result and by his post-match comments, meant a lot to Ronnie after all the flak he took off Oldham fans for hoof-ball.

What's the news on Danny Holmes' injury? While I don't think Kay is a terrible player, he sometimes seems to be more inclined to try and get rid of the ball rather than making use of it.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Good result and by his post-match comments, meant a lot to Ronnie after all the flak he took off Oldham fans for hoof-ball.

What's the news on Danny Holmes' injury? While I don't think Kay is a terrible player, he sometimes seems to be more inclined to try and get rid of the ball rather than making use of it.

What about the tranmere fans who thought we played hoof ball...?
:smile:

Player
Manager
John King
Some interesting comments from Ronnie today regarding Adam McGurk. RM feels the negativity of our home fans towards him (for example booing him off at the Preston game) is adversely affecting his performances at PP, whereas he has played well consistently away from home (he is right, he has).

Food for thought for some of our supporters.

He was certainly one of our better players on Saturday, and created all but one of the goals in the wins over Scunthorpe and Yeovil, but many of our fans seem, unfairly, to have it in for him. Whether this is due to his association with Les or his past injury record I am not sure, but I think he has generally done well when deputising for Robbo this season.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Some interesting comments from Ronnie today regarding Adam McGurk. RM feels the negativity of our home fans towards him (for example booing him off at the Preston game) is adversely affecting his performances at PP, whereas he has played well consistently away from home (he is right, he has).

He was certainly one of our better players on Saturday, and created all but one of the goals in the wins over Scunthorpe and Yeovil, but many of our fans seem, unfairly, to have it in for him. Whether this is due to his association with Les or his past injury record I am not sure, but I think he has generally done well when deputising for Robbo this season.

Where have we had this problem before ?....err his name escapes me! [-X

DIW

Player
Goodison

I agree with this in general. There is a player in McGurk definitely, whether we see it enough is another question. He was getting some stick in the away end on Sat in the first half - couple of lads screaming 'I ****ing hate him' when he lost possession. He probably feels under more pressure at home. It's totally non-productive to boo your own players, unless of course they are not putting the effort in, which I don't think could be aimed at Adam. Hopefully his goal on Saturday will push him onto greater consistency.

Anyone booing should have a long look at themselves. You could say teh same about 'Atkins' as well. Whilst there is some disagreement on here about how good a player he was e.g. Amplesou thinks he is brilliant, no-one else does (;-))you couldn't fault his effort, even if you only went to 8 games last season. :-D