• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

John Clayton - anyone see him play?

frome_white

Player
John Aldridge
Hi All
New to the forum. Left Bebington in 1982 now living in Frome, Somerset.
Usually get to see the whites in Bristol, Yeovil and Swindle.
My youngest is at Bristol City academy. The Academy Manager is John Clayton who I see from wikipedia was football league topscorer for Tranmere in 84/85.
Anyone remember him or see him play. Interested to know what type of player he was. Thanks

O

OneNightInGayParis

He looked fantastic that season - goalpoacher extraordinaire! However, the main man was really Colin Clarke who, though scoring (slightly) less, made the space for Clayts. It was 2 players being fortunate enough to hit it off supremely and, if we had had any kind of defence, we would have gone up that season! The fact we didn't meant that they both moved on - Clarkey onwards and upwards, but Clayts never had the same impact again. A mixture of a fun and frustrating season as I remember - bags of goals!

frome_white

Player
John Aldridge
Of course - Colin Clarke, he went on to Saints and did well there too.
Clayts seems a decent bloke - I guess if I mention him being remembered fondly as a goalpoacher extraordinaire he should take it as a compliment? I'm sure he'll remember the crowd pleasers from outside the box more though! (did he score any of them?) Cheers.

drwhoman

CLAYTON

Quite co-incidental that both Clayton and Clarke ended up on the south coast. Clayton went to Plymouth before going to Holland. We certainly missed them - only stayed in the League after beating Exeter (yes - that connection again!) at the end of the 86-87 season. Ironically we went from strength to strength after that winning Cups and being promoted to Div Two (now the Championship) where we stayed for around ten years. Now with little money, Div One is about as good as it gets! There again that or Div Two has been our 'home' for most of our history!