• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

James Vaughan Leaving?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Anyone else seen this? If true won't have helped this window...

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well he didn't last long
Yep and if it is true and he is starting on Monday as the article suggests then that suggests he handed his resignation in a month ago at least so have to wonder how involved/ motivated he was during the last few weeks.
Not good either way whther you think his recruitment as DOF was a good idea or not for him to be off so early. I can see why he wanted to go to a PL club if he has long term managerial intentions but wonder was it frustration with MP so why he wanted out so early?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yep and if it is true and he is starting on Monday as the article suggests then that suggests he handed his resignation in a month ago at least so have to wonder how involved/ motivated he was during the last few weeks.
Not good either way whther you think his recruitment as DOF was a good idea or not for him to be off so early. I can see why he wanted to go to a PL club if he has long term managerial intentions but wonder was it frustration with MP so why he wanted out so early?
Hes going to a cushy number in basically a made up job on lot more money no doubt that's likely be the reason

Vaughan’s aspirations were always going to be way higher than L2, so it’s probably a tribute to him (and, just maybe, us too) that he’s got such a move so soon.

Big thing for me is what we do next. Assuming Palios still sees the Sporting Director model as the way to go, he’ll get a replacement. But, if he changes the model again, it’d raise quite a few questions.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
On the face of it Vaughan's appointment in the role seemed an odd one at the time. It came very soon after his retirement and he had no (obvious) experience within that sphere. I'm not saying that he couldn't or didn't do a good job (clearly he did, otherwise EFC wouldn't be poaching him), just that there must have been many more people more qualified to do it. I'd be very surprised if we didn't retain the role (or a similar one), since it supports MP's ethos to sustain/grow the Club.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Does anyone else see the irony? He is given the job of finding people we can develop and move on to bigger clubs. The first person to develop and move on upwards is ...... James Vaughan! ;)

Seriously, I'm pleased for him. I think he probably worked his socks off to make the role work and has been spotted by Everton as a rising talent. The proof will be if he is replaced by someone doing a similar role.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
He was never going to turn down a role at his boyhood club so good luck to him.

As for us, I was always interested in whether the change in policy and formation etc was more the view of Palios and Vaughan, and Micky has gone along with it. We weren’t far away last season and this new approach of young players and a lack of experience in some areas was partly down to Vaughan I’m guessing. Interesting that he is now gone and Micky probably thinking he’s been left to pick up the pieces!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would imagine the youth development strategy will continue, regardless of who replaces Vaughan. It is Palios who determines the strategy and club employees simply implement it.

I don't blame Vaughan for taking the role, nor is the club to blame for his early departure. It is one of those things.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Do you mean the first team cos there ain't any other team, no youth, no academy, no reserves, no u23s, no future!

drwhoman

Maybe JV will put one or two decent loan players our way! In al seriousness the new job does seem to be a more involved one than his role at Rovers. What did his Job Description really say other than find us good players willing to play at L2 level?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Maybe JV will put one or two decent loan players our way! In al seriousness the new job does seem to be a more involved one than his role at Rovers. What did his Job Description really say other than find us good players willing to play at L2 level?
That’s a bit unfair. As we have seen, even just finding good players is not easy. This season’s recruitment seems to have been much more successful than previous years. Most new players have already made a significant impact. Only a couple look a bit suspect for ability, although there are three with poor injury history. The budget has been tight, so his job must have been tough.

I’m sure there’s more to the job description. Has he a role in their development, contract negotiations etc. ? Maybe it’s a question for the next Palios q&a.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still too early to judge this years recruitment although the likes of mcalear and Bristow have impressed as have turnbull and Byrne.

Ultimately they can only be judged on results. We finished very close to the top 7 last season and whether we finish that close again remains to be seen. A long way to go

drwhoman

That’s a bit unfair. As we have seen, even just finding good players is not easy. This season’s recruitment seems to have been much more successful than previous years. Most new players have already made a significant impact. Only a couple look a bit suspect for ability, although there are three with poor injury history. The budget has been tight, so his job must have been tough.

I’m sure there’s more to the job description. Has he a role in their development, contract negotiations etc. ? Maybe it’s a question for the next Palios q&a.
Thanks BBTC. Sorry is my comments were unclear. I was not criticising what he has done but merely that I suspect that his new role might be more wide ranging.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
at the end of the day did we really need him doing that job, we are an LG2 team and they want to cut costs on the quality of food and drink oh well now saving his wage too

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
at the end of the day did we really need him doing that job, we are an LG2 team and they want to cut costs on the quality of food and drink oh well now saving his wage too
AM, do you not agree that our recruitment in recent years has been generally pretty poor? You yourself have moaned about the likes of Mani and Maguire. MP is trying to improve that but also to bring in untried youngsters released by Premier League and Championship clubs who we can develop and maybe sell on for profit. We have signed a few this summer. Although most are not yet ready for even League Two football, we have seen Rhys Hughes play a part already. Brentford have been doing this successfully for years. If the plan works, JV may have paid for his wages many times over before much longer.

Last edited:

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yes I do Agree to guess Like most of us I'm just frustrated we were promised to attacking football and it just has not happened . all we can do it keep looking forward and see how it goes