• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Heswall vs Tranmere Select XI

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Ok guys what wa the score of our first outing this season? It's not on Sky's friendly fixtures list on Sky Sports News.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Havent been to the game but I believe we lost 2-1, with basically a youth team and A.Trialist, who nobody seemed to recognise. More details please anyone who went today...

S

Steve

Just got back from the game. The result was disappointing as we should have had the match sewn up before they scored. They also had a penalty saved by our keeper. The team was all kids including a Turkish centre-half on trial. He had a good solid game on the floor with good distribution, but was not too good in the air. Still worth another look though. Nice to see Acho there and chatting with the fans. He said he is training with the sqaud but waiting to see if there is any reaction, but says he's hopeful.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, the only noticable players were Steve Davies, Mike Jones and Olly James. The rest were made up of youth and a couple of trailists and a Morrocon defender I believe!

Here's the team:
Connolly, James, Fraughan, Johnston, Holmes, M. Jones, Curran, Henry (capt), Holden, Davies, Corrigan (Gornell 69).

I think Tues games at Lairds will include most of the seniors.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Well, I was there and it was a good game of football, when our lads actually got the ball on the floor and tried things. In the crowd Jason McAteer was his usual extraverted self, while Danny Harrison and Chris Greenacre kept themselves to themselves, signing a few autographs but mostly just chatting to one another. The team that played was effectively the youth team, and appropriately Shaun Garnett performed the role of manager, and unsurprisingly Les Parry (in shorts as always, and it was cold) as the physio. Ronnie Moore was there, but on Shaun's shoulder rather than barking orders.

Our keeper Kevin Connelly had an absolute stinker of a game, and although he did save one of the tamest penalties I've ever seen (clealry the Heswall lad bottled it), he really should have been sent off in the third minute and conceded a penalty when he upended their forward in the box and didn't even get close to the ball. Amazingly the referee waved away the penalty appeals, truthfully it looked a nailed-on penalty. In general he flapped at things and made a hatful of basic errors. I can't recall him taking a long goal-kick, always rolling them out to a full-back who then did the hoofing for him. Oh and their 2nd goal was entirely Connelly's fault, committing himself well outside the box and gifting them a goal.

Olly James looked a capable right back, Mike Jones did well towards the end as he clearly had the fitness and the belief to try things, and Paul Henry looks a real one for the future, being so young and already captain of the team. Those are the positives.

The trialist centre-back was very 'army' if you know what I mean (no, not a crew-cut, that was the rest of the kids) and although his passing was good I got the impression dawdling on the ball like he did would be punished in the league. And he definitely definitely was not match fit.

Steve Davies perked up a bit near the end, around the same time as Jones did and started giving him balls that he could use. Previously Davies had been being used as a target man, and that's just not his game - he can't judge the fall or bounce of the long ball and upper-body strength is not really something he posseses much of. So back-to-goal he was wasted. Definitely improved when the balls were being squirted wide and through the channels. Although there's probably a fair argument to be made that he improved when he started to relax and enjoy himself more. The smile only appeared after he fell over his own feet ten yards away from anyone else, landing in a crumpled heap sort of on his shoulders. Several fans saying "Get up Davo" or "Come on Davo, get up" one supporter shouted "GET UP YOU MONG!" and made everyone around fall about laughing... Davies obviously saw the funny side too and after that he really seemed to be involved more and play well.

An enjoyable afternoon trip, one I'm glad I made even though I didn't get to see any of the new signings play, apparently there were around 1,000 supporters there and I can believe that. The first teamers may well put in a showing in the next friendly, so I'm looking forwards to that one already, there's definitely a buzz and positive feeling about.

S

Steve

It was Olly James who shouted "GET UP YOU MONG" and it was Garnett who kept telling the keeper to throw the ball out quickly. You also said Davo likes the ball to feet or down the channels, so why would you want the keeper to punt it long when all he could do is flick it on. Garnett kept telling the players he wanted a quick tempo with the ball on the floor.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Really? It was James? Okay then, it doesn't matter who said it, it was still brilliantly funny.

I think Garnett was frustrated with the fact that the roll-outs just led to the full back having to hoof it, so kept asking them to do it again. There's no point in rolling it out to a full back just for them to kick it where the keeper would have. The idea to build up and play the ball on the floor was spot-on right, but the execution just wasn't there. What seemed really to be lacking was a central midfielder with the ability to play passing, link-up play. Henry played defensive midfield, and the other three were more attack minded, two wide men and then our number 8 (whose name escapes me) who quite simply looked lost and out of his depth.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Sounded like a good day out even though we lost and it will be interesting to see how the 1st teamers do on Tuesday. I was surprised there was no Santos... I thought he was playing... maybe he will get his trial game on Tuesday? Ronnie Moore didn't seem too impressed going by the official site.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Sounded like a good laugh, shame we got beat. I'm going on Tuesday and hopefully friday nights game where the first team will be playing. Cant wait to see the likes of Gareth Taylor, Chris Shucker and Robbie Stockdale in a TRFC shirt.