• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Hartlepool 1-0 Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, according to reports, the lads put in a really good performance, but sadly it wasn't to be. I think poor finishing yet again let us down.

When we are fighting for points, you've got to try and take every opportunity. It may have been a decent performance overall, but they've come away with nothing and that's bitterly disappointing.

We are now second from bottom as another win for Southampton sees them climb ahead of us.

Curran, Gornell and Thomas-Moore need to be scoring more and we need a better return from these guys, but I honestly don't think the quality is there.

At least the performances have improved if not necessarily the results.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like we put in another decent performance today, but with no end product. Goodison came closest to a Rovers goal, says it all really. A McLaren error set up their goal, shame he was passed fit to play. Barnett sent off, we must be in danger of getting a fine for poor disciplinary record.

Grateful to Exeter for a late equaliser, otherwise we'd be bottom.

Even if we beat Swindle next weekend(by no means certain) that would only be 6pts in October, whereas we need around 7 a month to achieve safety. Still a fair way to go, but the new boss is going to have to hit the ground running. I'm starting to feel that it will be L2 next season.#-o

yozzer31

Player
Aldo
Yet again there to see a frustrating display where we had plenty of pressure but created no clear opportunities. Becoming really disappointed with Barnett; can't honestly understand why people wanted him to be given the chance to play because, for me, he hasn't contributed anything when he has been on. Only thing I can recall him doing yesterday was going in two-footed for a 50-50 ball and ends up being sent off.

Just hope that come Saturday on our big day, we get a massive support and the lads take some encouragement from all the old greats that will be there. Still believe that we are too good to go down and am keeping the faith that things turn round soon.

Come on Rovers !!!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Regardless who we bring in as manager i still fear we are likely to go down.

I cant see how anyone thinks we are too good to go down we are 2nd bottom for a reason, we have a terrible defensive record and we dont score many goals which is asking for trouble.

Player
Liam Palmer
I wasn't at the game, so maybe a little unfair to comment, but at least we've seemed to have stabilised things at the back a bit. Three goals in three conceded - two pens and a corner.

At the other end things are getting desperate. We simply have to find a way to score more goals.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
At the moment, the way things are going, we certainly aren't too good to go down. But if we can get a half decent manager (if), then we can stay up. We've stopped shipping goals by the bucket load but we need to find which combination of strikers can score some goals. Since the Gillingham game, 14 matches ago, our forwards have managed just three goals between them.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Even last season we were not great goal scorers in terms of having a 20 goal a season striker. But the goals were shared around and we didn't even need to score many as our defence was so solid.
But having lost Shots, Chorley, Taylor, Coyne - its no wonder we're leaking more goals.

I agree with most about Curran, Moore etc - all work hard but none IMO will get 20 goals a season but its sometimes not necessary if midfield etc are chipping in, e.g. like Kay last season, but without that and a leaky defence, we rely too much on the forwards who just are clinical enough in front of goal.

Reminds me a bit of Stuart Barlow in some respects - works hard, but his ratio of converting chances that came into goals was poor.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Becoming really disappointed with Barnett; can't honestly understand why people wanted him to be given the chance to play because, for me, he hasn't contributed anything when he has been on. Only thing I can recall him doing yesterday was going in two-footed for a 50-50 ball and ends up being sent off.

Barnett had a decent second half of last season and looked fairly bright pre-season, but was then injured. When fit again, Dumb and Dumber weren't willing to even give him a few moments from the bench in the league, preferring to stick with maestros like McLaren and Shuker, so it's little wonder the lad's frustrated. He didn't make much impact when coming on v Brighton and I think he was too desparate to make an impression, so ends up making a reckless challenge and gets a 3 match ban. For me, while the jury's still out on Charlie, perhaps too early to write him off yet.

Since Les has taken over, we've actually been creating a lot more chances compared to the Barnes days. While I keep hoping our current strikers'll find their shooting boots, perhaps Bain does deserve a start now to see whether he can deliver.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
This was a game we could have won three time over with the chances we had. It's a massive problem that we're not converting them. I really like Curran but there has to be a time when you say yes you work hard, yes you're a threat with your pace, but you GOTTA start scoring!

We've been creating lots of good chances since JB left the club, we just not scoring though. If you look at the side Les is picking, its the same players, a different formation, but a totally different attitude and commitment.

If they carry on to play like they did on Saturday, it won't be long before we start moving up the league. But we simply have to pick up points and quick, else we'll be left behind with Southampton and co winning now. If you keep playing well and still losing, heads are going to drop, no matter what, so we need a win next Saturday and beyond!