• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Guiseley v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha. Norwood scores. Come on Rovers!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes Cookie!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Slightly strange subs, Dunn for Jennings and Stockton for Cook.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lincoln with another brace of late goals to almost secure top spot.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great win in the end. Lincoln, unbelievable again..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Strangely, Southport's last three games are against the top three sides. Believe it or not, Maidstone United final fixtures have the same three opponents.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Great fightback by rovers against awkward opposition. Pity about Lincoln.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
good to get back to winning ways and good that Norwood scored as I have a feeling he could be crucial for us in the play offs, I would hope we keep the same team more or less against southport but for the Maidstone game would give a few other players a run out to rest a few for the play offs the following midweek

Player
Manager
John King
An excellent result. In many ways this was our most impressive three points of the season, as we really had to fight for the win against opposition desperate for a result, in a game that was ultimately pretty meaningless to us. Guiseley were ultra physical and competitive throughout and you could see why they have been one of the form teams in the second half of the season.

The first half was poor. We had a lot of possession, but very little cutting edge and we were poor off the ball. The midfield was a problem again, with Wallace treading water, and the absence of Maynard and Harris made life particularly difficult against opposition that scrapped for everything. Up front, Cookie looked rusty early on and did not really hold the ball up, and we could not get many decent moves going. There were very few chances to either side in the first period, with Guiseley's opener a rocket from twenty five yards, and there were signs of real mental fatigue in the Rovers display, after so many big matches recently.

At half time Mellon clearly gave the players a rollicking, and we came out a different side. For fifteen to twenty minutes we penned Guiseley in, constructed some good moves, and our greater quality finally told. You have to give immense credit to the players for battling their way back into the match, when it would have been easy to let the game peter out. The character we showed gives me greater confidence going into the play-offs, and Micky's obvious desire to win the game shows that he thinks form and momentum are key at this stage.

After we took the lead Guiseley, to their credit, threw everything at us, and the last twenty minutes of the game were basically a rearguard action. There was not a great deal of football played, although we did threaten on the break several times, but we battled and defended extremely well to see the game out.

Individually, Cook started slowly but gradually got into the game before scoring his customary goal. Wallace still looks off the pace physically, but showed some nice touches. Jeff Hughes had a better game than some of his recent displays. McNulty and Ihiekwe were outstanding, and Scott Davies' handling was good against a big, physical team. However, my man of the match was James Norwood, whose workate was outstanding in addition to his goal.

Just a pity that news of the Lincoln turnaround made the victory feel a bit like a defeat.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we are frightened by Southport we might as well jack it in now.
Teams often play better once a relegation is confirmed and the pressure is off. Southport managed to do something we couldn't last week namely score against Forest Green. Frightened of them, no. Treat them with respect, most definitely.

Player
Manager
John King
Teams often play better once a relegation is confirmed and the pressure is off. Southport managed to do something we couldn't last week namely score against Forest Green. Frightened of them, no. Treat them with respect, most definitely.

We should still be capable of getting the point we need to secure second place.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks for the report, RLC. It cheered me up.

I believe we need two points for second place. If we draw one and lose one, while FGR win two, they will likely overtake us on goal difference or goals scored. But it won't be easy for FGR as they play York City on the final day, with the latter probably needing a win to stay up. My money's on Rovers, but we can't be complacent.

My worry is that if Aldershot pip Dover to the final spot, we will go into the play-offs without a league win against any of our opponents.

Player
Manager
John King
I know FGR could better our goal difference, but I think we will beat Southport anyway.

My preference would be to play Dover, but it is difficult to predict how we would fare over two legs against any of our potential opponents. Play-off games have a different dynamic to ordinary league matches.

I just think it is important we go into the games on the back of a winning run and with Maynard fully up to speed. Lois has a calf injury apparently and the club don't know how serious it is yet.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nice to pick up 3 points after the FGR/Aldershot games. As RLC says the priority now is going into the play offs with some momentum and confidence. Hopefully Nors will start scoring more now and with him and Cook both scoring, surely a reminder to Micky that they are our best front 2, even though Cole has done well of late.

Good to see Dunn back so he needs as much match practice at the moment to get match fit - although how he would fit into our current 5-3-2 I am unsure. A good option from the bench though if needed and more likely to offer something than Mekki in my view, as long as he is fit enough.

I'd also prefer to play Dover if we can. Overall given the injuries we have a strong defence, goalie & attack. The midfield 2 are the concern as we only realistically have Hughes, Wallace & Maynard available for 2 places. The latter looked out of sorts understandably against Aldershot and has picked up another injury albeit hopefully not serious. Hughes has looked jaded and Wallace is a risk and still looks too heavy and immobile for my liking.

If we come against Aldershot with their midfield pace and movement that's where I think we could struggle. Although as I said at the time, both of their goals were from long balls we didn't defend properly.

Lets see where the next 2 games take us and take it from there.