• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Grimsby Town (1) v Rovers (2)

Match result

• Grimsby

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Grimsby Town (1) v Rovers (2)
Posted by Ian
Blundell Park
Saturday, January 27, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 27, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A trip to Cleethorpes up next to take on the Mariners, now managed by Dave Artell, ex-Crewe boss and linked with our vacancy at one stage. Things haven't entirely gone smoothly under the new manager, but there have been a couple of high scoring games. Blundell Park hasn't been one of our happier hunting grounds, though perhaps unusually, I have seen Rovers win away here.

Don't know if there are any fresh injuries or whether O'Connor is fit to return at right-back, but the week without a game may help with some of our more jaded players like Walker and Jennings getting a needed breather. I would expect a similar line-up to Milton Keynes, even if Dennis is fit, would probably start Jolley but with the prospect of Kristian coming off the bench. Hopefully the tactics are very different though. With some tricky games coming up in February, we need to get something out of this one to avoid falling into a losing rut.

Important game. Despite what the table says at the moment, it’s hard to imagine Cotterill, Cowley or Robinson taking a team down into non league, so things could get very interesting down at the bottom quite quickly, and we’re not entirely out of the woods yet.

But I reckon Grimsby might be the one to get really sucked into it - they ship a lot of goals, I’m not convinced by their manager, and what relatively little bounce they’ve had under him is about as much bounce as they have in them, imho.

I think we’re the better team, can impose our game on them and have the players to exploit their defensive frailties. 3-1 win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They are a bit hit and miss as we are and I'm still not convinced with our away form, so I'm going for a draw.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
We are pleased to confirm Dan Pike, Jean Belehouan, Joe Starbuck, Conor Robson and Luis Lacey have all signed new contracts with Rovers until the end of the 2023/24 season.

Except Pike not sure this will make much difference, bit surprised Starbuck is kept RB No3?? Who is Lacey?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are pleased to confirm Dan Pike, Jean Belehouan, Joe Starbuck, Conor Robson and Luis Lacey have all signed new contracts with Rovers until the end of the 2023/24 season.

Except Pike not sure this will make much difference, bit surprised Starbuck is kept RB No3?? Who is Lacey?
Lacey is a young full back been on loan in Wales, agree that besides pike I wouldn't kept the rest as just a waste of money even though they likelatr on low wages

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Lacey is a young full back been on loan in Wales, agree that besides pike I wouldn't kept the rest as just a waste of money even though they likelatr on low wages
Ah, back from loan it appears. All a bit odd. That's how you get 31 by having players who will never play?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not convinced that any of them are good enough in the long term. I thought Pike was really poor against MK Dons, although I agree it is worth keeping him in the short term as he covers both full back positions.

Adkins has spoken quite favourably about the Sheffield players in interviews, so probably wants to have a longer look at them before making a final decision.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it is a significant game, as it will tell us whether the last two defeats were blips against strong opposition, or something more significant. If we can recapture the form of November / December we should surely be able to despatch a pretty poor Grimsby side.

We have not looked as threatening up front without Saunders, so it will be interesting to see who Adkins selects in the striking positions. Dennis is probably due a return to the side after a couple of unconvincing displays from Jolley, but there would be a lack of mobility away from home without Charlie.

The break of a couple of weeks should have revitalised us, but we shall see.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Important game - losing today would be concerning. Hopefully Apter will be fully reintergrated in the squad and will have been "calmed down" from his display last time out when he was definitely over eager after coming back and had a poor game. O'Connor will be back in as fit according to adkins which helps.
Suspect Saunders will play - I would really like to see Taylor getting game time but he doesn't seem to be in Adkins thoughts so I realise that is very unlikely - he surely will be one of the players we are trying to get out on loan - though personally I just don't see Jolley as a long term solution.
Going for a 1-1 draw.

ADD

Player
Norwood

32 players and we extend 4 players none of whom are likely good enough?! Actually to be fair to Robson I have no idea as not sure he has played much/ at all. Belehouan is out injured for around another month so surprising we felt the need to extend but as RLC says maybe Adkins saw enough in training before his injury and is looking at him as a potential recruit for next season.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Its the cheap option and don't think we will see anyone else come in next week. Hoping for a win as long as we don't lose

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
32 players and we extend 4 players none of whom are likely good enough?! Actually to be fair to Robson I have no idea as not sure he has played much/ at all. Belehouan is out injured for around another month so surprising we felt the need to extend but as RLC says maybe Adkins saw enough in training before his injury and is looking at him as a potential recruit for next season.
Well they are either long term of cover for injuries, 4th string CD is one injury off the bench. The False 3 is a novel idea, McGee gets injured then Joe does in a match so Robson comes on then we get an emergency loan for the next match. That is pretty extreme.
You'd have Merrie would get someone with a view to signing him. Hockenhull, where is he, will remain a curiosity for eternity

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like Saunders will be available, which is good, given how much he was missed for the MK game. I agree with ADD that Taylor should get more opportunity and would like to see on the bench most games.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
LOC back in. Jennings and Jolley up top. Otherwise as you’d expect

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we need to see good performances from Morris and Apter. If we can get them into the game and they get space, we might have some joy. Not convinced with the front pairing of Jennings and Jolley.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Personally with the injuries we have I’d like to have seen Hawkes alongside Jennings as we know Josh can finish. Jolley will be better at holding the ball up but Hawkes can bring goals