• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Gills 2 - 0 Tranmere

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh dear, we let ourselves down badly in that first half. It was awful. Yes, we were unlucky in the second half to have hit the post three times, but hitting the post doesn't count. Need to start getting these on target.

More points dropped, and down to 8th. #-o

A

AndyRoo16

On the local news the score came through saying 2-0 Tranmere, well that was wrong. It was always going to be a tough game, just dissappointed really.
Feel sorry for those whomade the 6 hour journey on the coach, they will still be on there way back now! (1.24 am)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like a reverse of the recent trend, poor in the first half, played well in the second?

I honestly think that unless we get a result at Oldham next week, our chances of making the play-offs are slim.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Well we should all stop kidding ourselves that promotion could become a reality. The performances of late have simply not been good enough. Yes Ronnie has improved us from last season but the great start we had to the season is gonna count for absolutely nothing as performances and results of late have been very poor.

Was a little embarassed sat in a Mancunian pub watching the game with all the sodding mancs laughing at our misery. The first half was a complete shambles. Although we got better second half and were unlucky to hit the post 3 times, the last 15 mins, when u expect a decent side to put the pressure on being behind - it was all Gillingham bar a couple of tame long range efforts.

Just really gutted, think we will make midtable obscurity and nothing better.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ronnies comments after the game:

He said: "The first half was an absolute shambles. I'm totally embarrassed that a side of mine could crumble like that. There was no heart and no commitment. We had the opportunity to go fifth and threw it away.

"For the second half you can give them a pat on the back for the way we came out but we've been soft centred down the middle. We can't defend like that. Our defending in the first half was like a pub team at times. As the manager of the club I expect better.

"We've got a tough game coming up and we've got a week to put it right. They'll be working morning and afternoon. We've got a great opportunity to get out of the division but with performances like that we'll stay in it.

"Even in the second half we were soft centred. We hit the post twice and the keeper made a couple of good saves but we weren't on the front foot and didn't have the killer instinct."

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Part of the problem is down to Ronnie though. There were no subs introduced at half-time and an element of complacency in that certain players, no matter how badly they perform are untouchable so far as RM is concerned. Think McLaren, Mullin and Taylor in particular.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, but to be fair, the second half was a decent performance. The squad didn't need changing at half time, they just needed a kick up the backside because they showed what they could do in the second half. Shuker didn't get a touch in the first half yet was dangerous in the second. Ronnie needs to make sure they play for 90 minutes, not 45!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Ronnie needs to make sure they play for 90 minutes, not 45!

Indeed we never can put a full performance together. I kinda agree with Boz though. We had a 20-25min spell of pressure at the start of the second half when we hit the post 3 times, after that nothing, yet Zola wasn't introduced til 82nd min! If it was me in the gaffer's seat (maybe a good thing i'm not but...) I would have taken off a full back and put Zola on when we were on top and really go for it, we needed 2 goals ffs!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
First half was embarrasing. I was watching round a mates who is a Leyton Orient fan and he is much more confident they will beat us in February now. We need to improve quickly and i've nearly given up on promotion. Like has been said by other posters we need to play for 90 minutes... not 45! We haven't really played well for 70-75 minutes consistently this season.