• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Franchise 1 Rovers 0

DIW

Player
Goodison
Well I didn't go and don't really know a great deal about the game, but if we go down this year, the lack of goals will be a major contributing factor because that's 4 without scoring I think now.
I suppose we couldn't really expect to win away at Franchise, a draw was our best hope, so I'm not too gutted about the result, but although Les seems to have tightened the defence up so we are not leaking at the same rate as under Barnes, we need to start scoring.
The problem comes both from the midfield not really giving a supply and the strikers being not particularly good at finishing. We need a couple more loan signings in the transfer window I feel, a proven goalscorer at this level is unlikely to be found I would have thought so I reckon a loan deal for a young and hungry lad at a premiership club may be the best way forward, plus someone, anyone who has the ability to unlock a defence.

All this depends on finance though and our chairman so I'm not holding out too much hope.
Every game is a must pick up points game now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hardly a surprise result and it doesn't sound much of a game from the reports & stats. The problem with the current side is the defence/midfield seem unable to chip in with a goal or two, heaping pressure on the strikers. Playing a Shuker/Barnett in midfield could help us.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
It was quite frustrating coming out of todays game having lose 1-0 because we generally played ok. Dons came out of the blocks quickly and if we could have survived the opening 10 minutes we definetly could have got something out of the game as there wasn't a lot in it really.

After they scored I don't think they had another shot on target in the first half. As the half wore on we became more dominant and both Welsh and Bakayogo came close with long range efforts. Moore wasted a good half chance on the volley. We wasted a few oppertunities to play in a good final ball, story of the game actually. After the break Dons came out quickly again but the match again came back into our favour once we got our foot on the ball. Shuker made an impact from the bench, coming on for Gareth "Mr. Invisible" Edds as we changed to a 4-4-2. Goodison put in a classic performance, easily MOTM, while Curran, Welsh, Taylor and Bakayogo also had a good game. Daniels made a few superb stops too. Logan struggled against Townsend (Spurs loanee, remember him terrorising Shotton at PP towards the end of the season with Yeovil?). Gornell and Moore also played very poorly. Mclaren did nowt.

Both teams defended really well basically so it turned into a bit of a stalemate.

The midfield is absolutely screaming out for a creative player. We'd create a lot more chances if we had someone who could play some sort of killer ball. We had a few oppertunities to play in the strikers today and the quality wasn't there. Welsh, Edds and Mclaren all basically do the same thing - I think Parry would be well advised to sacrifice one of them for Mahon/Barnett.

Was well impressed with their stadium and facilities. And their fans were better than ours which was a bit pathetic.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I heard Les on the radio on Friday night and he gave the impression to me that they didnt expect to get anything from the game whatsoever. He kept saying the important game is the Yeovil one, which is obviously more winnable - but personally I felt his comments were a little negative and wondered whether the players think whats the point when the gaffa expects us to lose - lets just concentrate on Tuesday night instead.

But if we win tomorrow all will be good. Sounds like once again we couldnt but the ball in the next - and I agree with most that an attacking midfielder is needed, i.e. Shukes/Barnett but he wont play one of them away from home, and hasnt at home unless as a sub