• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Exeter (postponed)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pitch inspected today, final decision in the morning. The team are already there and by the time the decision is made, travelling supporters will have already set off. For that reason, I really hope the game is on.

Joss banned, Cathalina and Broomes definitely out, Enoch a major doubt. Mendy has gone back to Derby, so a bit thin in midfield. If it does go ahead, I'd expect us to line up something like this;

Nielsen
Darville Wootton Goodison Cresswell
Blanchard Mantom Fraughan
ITM Akins McGurk

Prediction another 3-1 away defeat.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Welsh is also back from suspension tomorrow and Jennings is available, but yes, we are still light in some key areas. I wouldn't be surprised if Enoch is risked as he is so crucial to the shape of the side.

In my opinion the game should already have been called off as asking supporters to set off in the vague hope that the match will go ahead is unacceptable. With the state of the roads in much of the country there are also other safety issues to consider, and the risk of fans getting stranded half way.

Having said that, with nine games postponed, even a point tomorrow would give us the chance to steal a march on some of our rivals.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
How could I have forgotten Jennings:oops:. He'd be up front instead of McGurk. Welsh instead of Fraughan.

Exeter are on form at present and I would prefer a near full-strength side taking them on rather than the weakened one we would be fielding tomorrow.

Player
Manager
John King
No worries Boz, in a few weeks Jennings could be a distant memory anyway ! :cry:

It is going to be tough in midfield with Labadie missing again. Blanchard could be moved there as you suggest, but that leaves us looking pretty inexperienced at the back.

The general lack of fitness in the squad after so many days without full training also has to be a worry.

I wouldn't be surprised if Enoch is risked as he is so crucial to the shape of the side.

In my opinion the game should already have been called off as asking supporters to set off in the vague hope that the match will go ahead is unacceptable. With the state of the roads in much of the country there are also other safety issues to consider, and the risk of fans getting stranded half way.

Yeah, Les has already confirmed that Enoch would start. In addition to the issue regarding fans I think it is strange that a pitch inspection was carried out this morning and deemed unplayable, however based on the local forecast the likelihood is a thaw will occur overnight. Quite possible, however, we're the team having to travel earlier today and stay overnight! Maybe they've heard we've still got six and a half players missing and want the game to go ahead at all costs!:cry:

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Looks like the game is going ahead as I've not heard any news to the contrary. The team travelled down yesterday so I guess they want to play, plus it is one of the games for Joss' suspension and we could do with him back over the busy Christmas period (should the weather be OK).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Was called off around 10.30. Think anyone travelling won't be impressed and agree with RLC, it should have been postponed yesterday.

Just hope Dale is still with us by the time it's rescheduled[-o<

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can understand them inspecting the pitch this morning if there were expecting milder weather and some rain, there may have been a chance of it going ahead. But if you are going to do that, make the inspection at 9am or as early as possible. Announcement wasn't made until 10:30 like Boz mentioned above.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the League need to change the rules regarding postponements, as today's events were a total farce to be honest. I think when there is a serious doubt over the pitch 24 hours prior to a game, the match should automatically be called off, certainly when a team is travelling more than, say, 100 miles.

It's not as if today was a one-off, as exactly the same happened at Brentford last season and Colchester the one before.

Apparently Exeter have been forced to reimburse the team's travel costs, which is something I suppose.

Going off topic, did anybody else hear Les's interview on Radio Merseyside last night ? From what he said, it seems as though Jennings is certain to go in January, with several unofficial approaches to the club already having been made. Les has apparently discussed the situation with PJ, and from what I could gather it seems they have virtually agreed the kind of offer they would be willing to accept.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I heard an interview earlier on in the week with les regarding dale and he says a number of clubs have asked to be kept informed if we are willing to sell him but as yet there has been no bids.

There have been no indication that he is certain to be sold in January alhough les has mentioned there s a chance but les would prefer to keep him longer than that.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I heard an interview earlier on in the week with les regarding dale and he says a number of clubs have asked to be kept informed if we are willing to sell him but as yet there has been no bids.

There have been no indication that he is certain to be sold in January alhough les has mentioned there s a chance but les would prefer to keep him longer than that.

The modern day football fan !
no chance of a demonstration to stop the club selling him then !
just lie down and in this case actively incourage it!
that goes back to the 1930,s when tranmere directors where willing pertisapents in the clubs long journey into lower division life, forever it seems as they willingly courted sales that went into there own back pockets!
Things are different now are they well, i can be sure they where then as well?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
mate, we need the money

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We'd probably get more money by keeping him until the end of the season and showing his good form in a handful of games isn't just a flash in the pan. Also the goals and assists he is likely to get us could mean the difference between L1 and L2.

But But But....

Sonko,

"We" may need the money but we're not going to get any. Johnson is, and its all going in his back pocket. And we lose Jennings into the bargain.
Still he did say recently that he'd accept a million and be prepared to walk away.
Now he can.
Its not too difficult to put the club in a supporters trust and take it from there.

How much are you prepared to wager that the greedy grasping git takes the money, stays, and then at the end of the season tells us how much the club still owe him.

M

Mal

I'm sorry Bootle Rover but without Johnson we would never have had the Aldridge days and we wouldn't have a shedload of supporters who think it is our divine right to be higher than League 1 (well Division 3 really). I don't blame him for wanting some of his millions back - wouldn't you want your investment back? I also can't blame him for the lack of support - even when we were in playoffs to get to the top tier, the crowds were poor, considering. I don't have any answers to our plight other than the miracle of a billionaire investment or a 'Blackpoolian' effort. Maybe the enforced bedding in of youngsters this season will help us next season. We've tried years of 'past it, injury-prone journeymen' without success.

Mal,
I appreciate your points there but have to say that Johnson has had back all his money and more.
A balance sheet over the Johnson period would be so interesting but despite requests for a breakdown none has been forthcoming.
Now if we regard his input as an "investment" surely there is a chance you lose money and sometimes you make money. So if its an investment and you are prepared to take the risk and you lose, then tough **** - isnt that how a businessman would look at it?
Johnson is a leech and will continue to draw out as much as possible, irrespective of what he might say, even if he runs the club into the ground.
Do you, as a supporter put your money in [at the turnstile] as an investment? No, and neither do all the real fans.
I am sure your'e right about the kids and it gives us hope for the future. And I also agree that we have seen a little too much of the over the hill mob but getting the balance right in providing some guiding experience for the youth to thrive alongside is difficult but I trust Les to have a decent go at it.
Poor old Johnson, perhaps we should pass round a collection bucket for him so he can have his Christmas turkey.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Poor old Johnson, perhaps we should pass round a collection bucket for him so he can have his Christmas turkey.
No need. You get a lovely plump one in those wonderful hampers he flaunts every year.

Regarding the Jennings situation, I'd be very disappointed not to see him till the end of the season. And let's not talk silly money. It never happens. He'll go for buttons as he's being sold from a division 1 club. Maybe a few hampers chucked in will seal the deal.