• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Exeter 2-1 Tranmere

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Sounds like a closeish game, more effort than in previous weeks perhaps, but at the end of the day, losing 2-1 away to Exeter isn't good enough.

Barnes obviously reads this forum. Mahon and Shuker dropped in a predictably unsuccessful midfield shakeup, though sounds like Logan did well on the right. I still wonder what Barnett has to do to get a game.

Cue discussion of Barnes out, PJ out, our great club has fallen, players underperforming, Prenton Park is going to be sold and become Disneyland Birkenhead etc etc

DIW

Player
Goodison
Not sure what anyone else can say that hasn't already been said about Barnes. I've tried to stay positive, tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he has to go sooner before we have NO chance of turning this round.

The question as to why Barnett cannot get on the pitch is one I would like an answer to as well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The question as to why Barnett cannot get on the pitch is one I would like an answer to as well.
Me too!
SonkORLY? I think it was Sherlock Holmes who said when all other options have been eliminated, that which remains, however implausible, is the truth.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can we keep this thread for pure post match comments please. Events that transpired within the 90 minutes otherwise we end up repeating ourselves in 3 different threads.. Barnes out, repurcussions etc etc can go here -> http://whitereview.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=27080#post27080

Cheers folks!

And on a more positive note, we scored away from home!! Surely this is a positive step :shock:
I was really surprised Daniels wasn't fit. Must have been some gash on his leg!

Was glad that Mahon and Shuker weren't on the wing, although playing Mahon in the centre and Shuker on the bench would have been my preferred positions. Playing Edds and Logan on the right side was certainly different as its a known fact Shuker and Logan cannot work together down the side.

Any reports on Carole? Did he play well down the left side? It also sounded like the usual problems in defence again, with Goodison caught well out of position for the first goal.

Shame Bain didnt get a bit more time as we know so little of him, giving him 10 minutes isnt bound to make a great deal of difference.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Only listened to the match so will wait for those who went to the game to be able to comment further.

Sounds like we did ok, but 2 main areas we lack badly. Defence and attack! We concede too many soft goals and sounds like we defended poorly yet again today. And we don't score enough, we created a few chances today for a change and scored 1. Not good enough.

Very disheartened and I can't see Barnes stopping the rot. We just needed not to lose to give us something to build on, it's a sinking ship I'm afraid unless someone can save us.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Can we keep this thread for pure post match comments please. Events that transpired within the 90 minutes otherwise we end up repeating ourselves in 3 different threads.. Barnes out, repurcussions etc etc can go here -> http://whitereview.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=27080#post27080

Ian,

I know what you are saying, but does your comment mean that if you were not at the game to see the 90 minutes you can't comment?

I wasn't there but my following of it, coupled with rceent events led me to comment that my personal time for barnes is up.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
So, post-match Barnes pins quite a hefty share of blame on our 17 year old sub-keeper. I've seen the goals, the first one was his fault but it wasn't a terrible error or anything. The second goal however was quite simply Goodisons fault - awful defending. No idea why Barnes sees that Goodi is void of criticism. Collister did well to save the initial effort but it rebounded off Broomes and left their player with a tap in.

Ricketts' goal was a well directed header following a big throw in from Logan, and I think a flick on somewhere inbetween.

I'm interesting in hearing if RTID etc are satisfied with Barnes decision to drop Mahon and Shuker, and if they would like to see Edds and Carole continue at their expense over the coming weeks? I'd certainly throw Mahon back in for the next match.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm only going on reports and wasn't a strong advocate of the drop Mahon and Shuker school of thought... Personally would like to see Mahon in the centre, but this was yet another game where Welsh + McLaren were largely anonymous but lasted the full 90. I can't find any indication that Carole made much impact defensively, which was the main reason for playing him. It sounded like Logan replacing Shuker, with Edds full-back worked better. Finally, as well as being tactically inept, Barnes' singling out a young player for blame again illustrates how clueless he is at man management, made worse as SonkORLY? points out by the fact it was actually Goodison's error

DIW

Player
Goodison
I haven't heard the comments - did he really publicly criticise the young keeper?
Surely no-one in management at any level would be that stupid.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I haven't heard the comments - did he really publicly criticise the young keeper?
Surely no-one in management at any level would be that stupid.

He basically said that individual errors cost us yesterdays game, and that they were made by Collister. I'm quite sure our young keeper didn't need publically reminding that he could have caught the cross that lead to the first goal, but the oddest thing was that Barnes seemed to blame him for the second goal too when it wasn't actually his fault.

Our manager does have a history of this though. He's mentioned a few times that Ash Taylor hasn't upkept the high standards he set himself in the early friendlies, and has singled him out for criticism a few times post-match this season. It's not just young players though, he made a villain out of Mahon for his mistake after the Walsall game. This should all stay in the dressing room IMO.

Whilst I appreciate that Barnes can't take personal responsibility for individual errors, I think that he needs to protect his players instead of hiding behind them if he wants to see results. And to think he wonders why they don't "believe in themselves"...very questionable man-management.

Player
Goodison
I'm interesting in hearing if RTID etc are satisfied with Barnes decision to drop Mahon and Shuker, and if they would like to see Edds and Carole continue at their expense over the coming weeks? I'd certainly throw Mahon back in for the next match.

I'm happy to see both of them dropped, but I would want Logan to play at right back allowing Carole/Barnett onto the right wing in place of Shuker. Edds should take Welsh's place in central midfield possibly with Ash Taylor alongside at the expense of McLaren.

Mahon has added nothing so far this season and I would quite like Fraughan to be given a chance - although I would quite like Barnes to realise he is the worst manager in the club's history and resign as soon as possible but I'm not convinced that's going to happen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think its wrong to write Mahon off, when he hasn't been given a game in his correct position of central midfield yet. Goodison looked mediocre when Little kept playing him at left-back. Given Welsh/McLaren seemingly cannot be dropped, why not play one of them wide left, they couldn't be any more clueless than they are now. Finally Logan wide-right seems one of the few positives from the Exeter match, so we should stick with it.

Player
Goodison
I'm not casting off Mahon it's just that he is clearly unfit. He needs to get in the gym early and get himself fit because he is clearly carrying extra weight.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I've missed the past two home games but I've not thought Mahon looks particulaly unfit. In fact, I don't think he's been particulaly awful - yes he's underperformed and we expected a lot of him, but I'd hardly describe him as a real liability. I think the wingers are the casualties in Barnes' system (lol, ironic). They often have to drop deep to get the ball off Mclaren and Welsh and also have to take a back-seat when the fullbacks push on. We've seen a few glimpses of Mahons quality, especially pre-season, but I agree with Boz that his creative potential might be better realised in a more central position. This will never happen whilst Barnes is in charge, though. His 'philosophy' is such that we must play two deep-lying and defence-orientated central midfielders.

Edds has looked quite good at right back this season (it takes a lot for me to say this) but I'd much rather have Welsh or Mclaren in the middle than him. Logan did well at the weekend but he's also performed well at right-back so I guess this is a headache we'd rather have than not. If Barnes is to perservere with his 'philosophy' then I would expect to see Logan play in defence more often than not. Edds doesn't offer much in an attacking sense and that's apparently what our manager is looking for from his full-backs.

Grecian

Exeter fan here. My view of the game.

I actually feel sorry for your fans that travelled down to see the game. They were really let down my their team. Tranmere were one of the worst teams i have seen at St James Park since the dark dark days of non-league. The only player that looked any good was your number 2 (Small coloured guy) who was very good but the rest of the team let him down.

1st half and Tranmere didn't really look like they could careless. You went to play out for the 0-0 draw straight from the whilst. Your defenders looked dodgy and there was no understanding from them or your goalie which helped with our 1st goal.

At half-time Barnes sent your team out 6 minutes before the 2nd half to chat between their-selves while he sat in the dugout. I have never seen a team come out so early and do nothing but wait. Very strange.

2nd half was more of the same and Exeter went 2-0 up. 5 minutes after that Exeter let Tranmere come back into it more but no clear cut chances were created until the most useless player on the pitch actually put his 1st bit of effort into the game and he jumped up to score to make it 2-1.

Then the game got heated up. Exeter player went down injured while Exeter still had the ball. Exeter kicked the ball out for the player to recieve treatment. After he was subbed off Tranmere took the throw in and instead of passing it back to the Exeter goalie they went on a desperate attack down the wing and taking an effort on goal while all the Exeter players and fans except Rovers to give the ball back to them in a sportsmenship way. BUT NO. Cheating number 23(Short guy on right wing) went for a chance. This IMO is really unfair play.

Earlier in the game our midfielder Alex Russell passed the ball bk to ur goalie when one of your players got injured and you had the ball and you fans clapped us for being sporting in that way. Is this the way you normally play or is this Barne's last ditch attempt?

Highlight of the game for you lot was the You don't know what your doing chant" from your fans which was the only noise you made all game other than when you scored. And the "Sacked in the morning chant" from our fans.

So to conclude overall, Tranmere were very poor and Exeter didn't punish you which a team like Leeds or Chalton could have scored 6 or 7 past you. Thats been are problem all season, not taking our chances.

Well done to all your fans that tavelled down and good luck for rest of season excpet when we play you at urs :)

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We're one of the worst teams you've seen since moving up to the football league? Bit of a shame that you only managed to beat us 2-1 then :(

After he was subbed off Tranmere took the throw in and instead of passing it back to the Exeter goalie they went on a desperate attack down the wing...cheating number 23(Short guy on right wing) went for a chance. This IMO is really unfair play.

LOL - see this is why we should play Shukes. What a maverick.

See you at somewhere near the foot of the table at the end of the season sir.

Player
Goodison
23=shuker=idiot he's a fool dont read much into that. Having Shuker attack you is usually a blessing in 2ft disguise!

Sounds like a typical Barnes Tranmere performance. He has to go before the damage is terminal.

Player
Goodison
His 'philosophy' is such that we must play two deep-lying and defence-orientated central midfielders.

The irony is McLaren is suited to a more forward role whilst Welsh seems to be a spectator.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
The irony is McLaren is suited to a more forward role whilst Welsh seems to be a spectator.

I think Barnes sees Mclaren as our Alonso, spraying beautiful 50 yard passes accross the pitch whilst Welsh is intended to fulfill the Mascherano role of running round and fouling people. Alonso and Mascherano were employed together in the same deep central-midfield role for Liverpool, but they both have distinctivley different qualities. Of course, this comparison is only illustrative of the point that different types of players can perform in the same position - I don't really think Paul Mclaren is Xabi Alonso (even if he does).