• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Euros

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
2nd in the rankings! makes no sense.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Great to see England win yesterday. Even if you start optimistic, it so often turns pear-shaped. I predicted the score, but didn't see things going the way they did. I may be wrong, but I think that's the first time England have won a match in the Euros or World Cup after falling behind for a long time. I think maybe Cameroon in 1990 and before that in the 1966 final. Hope it's an omen.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Writing this 30 mins into the Portugal Austria game. Some pretty calamitous stuff. The Kop would be in lynching mode if SWA performed similar!
National League all is forgiven (almost)!
That result today might kick-start Belgium. A team with that talent has to click eventually.
For the Irish, how things change. NI now top dogs not Republic?
As an aside, I didn't start the thread as an England bashing exercise. I was interested if others suffered the same "what would you rather" line of questioning - instigated by football 'followers' not 'supporters'. And we know that there are loads of followers who know sweet fa about 'their' teams.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A frustrating evening for England tonight. It is difficult to know what to make of the performances so far, dominating the opposition to such a great extent but unable to score. We have to hope that when we play more adventurous teams in the knockout stages there will be more space for Vardy, Sturridge and the rest to work in; the games will be less one-sided but that might actually suit us. I still think Hodgson made too many changes tonight, and with Rooney or Ali on from the start we might have won the game.

I am very disappointed to finish below Wales, but fair play to them on their achievement. I did not watch their match tonight, but apparently they were awesome. Strangely enough, we might still have the last laugh. Our opponent in the next round is likely to be either Hungary or Iceland (unless Portugal fail to win again), whereas Wales will almost certainly meet Croatia, a much tougher game. That said, if we reach the quarter finals we will play France.

drwhoman

I agree that Hodgson was too clever by half. He has a love affair with Wilshere who is a decent player but hardly fit. A bit more of the rub of the green for England and I might not be saying this. Ironic that Skrtel had such a good game and yet he was poor for Liverpool last season. Might mean they get a bit more for him in a sale! As regards the draw, you are right RLC. The better teams will give them more space but they really have to improve their finishing which has been very average.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Before the tournament we were worried about our defence, to be fair it's hardly been tested and I dont think anyone had any concerns up front. Kane has been off the pace and it's pretty much down to Sturridge and Vardy to get us the goals. I do agree the games will open up as we progress as there's been a lot of parking the bus in front of goal. Could happen again depending on the opposition in the next round but we need to find a way around the back. No Henderson please!

drwhoman

It surprises me that more use has not been made of Milner. He certainly offers more than Henderson who like Wilshire has not played much in recent months. James is not world class but he is whole hearted and can make things happen. Also I would have taken off Vardy rather than Sturridge. Vardy is better suited to an open game whereas Sturridge can wriggle a goal in a packed area as he did against Wales. Still. all history now.

Player
Manager
John King
Spain v Croatia tonight was the best game of the competition so far. Croatia were fantastic. Spain go into England's half of the draw and Wales now have a pretty easy path to the semi finals.......

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was a bit sceptical about the new format but it has been a great success. By extending the finals to 24 teams, Northern Ireland, Wales and the other small countries have realised they had a real chance of getting to France and been rewarded for their self-belief. Knowing only 8 teams are being eliminated after the leagues has led to fewer stalemates and a lot of exciting games. Whether the excitement continues into the knockout stages, I can't be sure, but I think this competition will go down as one of the most memorable. Having found a successful formula, it's a shame Euro 2020 will be different once again with games being staged in several countries.

M

Mal

Anyone watched the reaction of the Icelandic commentator? Reminded me of me when Malkin scored against Bolton....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Anyone watched the reaction of the Icelandic commentator? Reminded me of me when Malkin scored against Bolton....
A classic. I'm not sure even the Icelanders would understand what he's saying. A bit like we'd all be commentating on TRFC scoring a last minute winner in the FA Cup final!

Player
Manager
John King
Well, where do you find the words for what we witnessed tonight ? The most shameful, witless, gutless and inept performance by an international team I have ever seen. Just when you thought England performances could not get any worse, they surprise you. A new low.

Hodgson has rightly gone immediately, but those players should hang their heads in shame tonight. Individuals on £150,000 a week who can't pass a ball five yards. The second half was excrutiating, unbelievable. Yes, the tactics were inept but that has nothing to do with the basic lack of desire and character. The whole shower should donate their summer earnings to charity after that 'performance'. What a bunch of overpaid, overrated charlatans.

To put things in perspective, we have just lost to a team with the same resources and talent as Rotherham or Barnsley. Dover or Braintree would have given Iceland more of a game. At least they would have had basic organisation and desire.

In many ways it was a fitting end to an horrendous week.

Finally, well played Iceland. Their victory was well deserved.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Hear hear.
The England fans out there especially did not deserve to witness such dross. They always turn up in numbers, offer great support and get rewarded with that.
Pitiful.

drwhoman

Agree from afar. Losing to a supermarket! (LOL!). Very poor. You do wonder how such an experienced Manager could panic and end up with four strikers on the field. No place for a Milner or Lallana to give them some width. Some of the corners and free kicks were pitiful. Ironic that so soon after Brexit the football team were shown the door by Europe. Incidentally, I know why many people voted to leave but I very much doubt that their lot will improve now. Still, as always, time will tell.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Truly awful but sadly this will go on and on. The whole setup is wrong where as RLC says you have a bunch of overpaid charlatans wrapped in cotton wool. They think they are great and so do a lot of supporters but we just aren't that good.

Where was the desire and togetherness? This has gone on for years and years. And the answer? Nothing we can do now, we look forward to the next game/tournament. Sound familiar ?

Hodgson was clueless and seemed to have no plan whatsoever. Someone getting paid a ludicrous amount of money. I think my nan could have done better.

Pathetic, the lot of them.
Well done Iceland!

drwhoman

I agree and Wales are still there. At least they have a world class player in Bale.

Player
Manager
John King
There were a couple of rants on the internet last night, by Danny Baker and Chris Waddle, that are worth seeking out. Brutal and to the point.

Waddle said:

'all we ever do is build a team for something. Next time we will be building a team for Timbuktu.'.........'All these players are just headphones. They don't communicate on the pitch, they don't communicate off the pitch. You can't get anything out of them. That's why they are no good.'

drwhoman

I thought the BBC analysis team got it right. No settled team, structure, game plan. What was Roy doing for the large amount he was paid? Why did he keep going to Wilshire who was not fit? Was Barkley not worth a go at some stage? Why did he end up with four strikers on the field at the end? Just hoping for a magic moment? Kane taking the free kicks? The list is endless.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I thought the BBC analysis team got it right. No settled team, structure, game plan. What was Roy doing for the large amount he was paid? Why did he keep going to Wilshire who was not fit? Was Barkley not worth a go at some stage? Why did he end up with four strikers on the field at the end? Just hoping for a magic moment? Kane taking the free kicks? The list is endless.
The FA could do worse than hire Shearer. His analysis has been spot on. His passion is unquestionable. He knows the international game and has been to major tournaments. He is the right age. And he is available. Not necessarily manager, but he'd make a good coach and assistant.

drwhoman

I agree with your Shearer proposal BBTC. I am not sure that pundits make good Managers without some previous experience Gary Neville at Valencia is a case in point. However, I am sure there is a Manager out there who would value his contribution without feeling threatened. As you know, this is always something to be taken into account. One reason why Managers tend to travel around with a regular support team. They add value without being perceived as a personal threat who will be trying to dictate to the Manager.