• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

England Squad

Player
Morrisey
Provisional squad:
Robinson (Tottenham), James (Manchester City), Green (Norwich); G Neville (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Carragher (Liverpool), Bridge (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Downing (Middlesbrough), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal). Standby:
Carson (Liverpool), Young (Charlton), Reo-Coker (West Ham), Defoe (Tottenham), Johnson (Crystal Palace).

what do we all think?

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
mite be good though i am surprised at walcott. no one has seen him really so it mite be a big surprise

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Glad to see Lennon in it I think he is a great player.

Risky about Walcott, if you would choose him have him on standby cos thereis plenty more exprienced strikers there liek Johnson and Defoe even Harewood of West Ham and Darren Bent who cluld be in the squad but I bet being picked for this World Cup didnt even eneter theo's head.

But of a mistake but you never know what could happen. Just bring that cup home!

B

Banana Army

Crap Crap Crap! If i wasnt worried when rooney was injured ia m now.

What formation we playing?

A 3 - 6- 1?

With 3 fully fit defenders, 2 fully fit strikers i dont see the logic to taking 9 midfielders especially jenas. And Wheres SWP, cant use that old excuse of he hasnt played much as hes played hours more footie than walcott and hasnt actually looked bad.

Glad to see Lennon in, should have picked extra defender instead of hargreaves who is obviously in as auxillary RB cover. If King aint fit then neither is rooney, owen, or Young so no logic again. Walcott is an interesting selection but should be lined up as rooneys replacement rather than ahead of good proven players suchas defoe, bent etc. I would personally have taken ashton as the fourth striker instead of crouch. Sush a good player can play either the shearer or sheringham role perfectly should at least be on standby and way ahead of AJ.

Baines should go instead of Bridge who is obviously still injured, and it aint a good idea taking a player who has played one game after a lengthy time out, and one who i nowhere near fitness.

Appart from those small quibbles its a brilliant squad!!! .... hmmmmm

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I think with the centre forward position up for grabs due to Rooney's injury it's madness that he's not taking Bent. Proven goalscorer in the league is qualification enough for me.

No way that Walcott or Hargreaves should be the squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Walcoot has potential, but Hargreaves. WTF? Playing with one up front is a disaster. I dont think it's going to work, unless the five in midfield really push foward.. Still looking forward to the World Cup but I dont think we have a chance.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I don't know why but I have a really good feeling about Walcott. Are any defenders going to know anything about him? No. Are they going to be able to find anything out about him? No. This works in our favour and as Ian said he has potential. Wenger wouldn't have paid £5million rising to £12million if he wasn't any good. Yes he is young but sometimes young players play without any fear and if he does this he could just shock the world!?!

On the rest of the squad... I think Lennon and Downing will both give us an extra dimension and I was just disappointed that there wasn't a space found for Darren Bent. We could have had Bent instead of Hargreaves... look at our midfielders... there is no way Hargreaves should get in ahead of any of them, so why is he there when we could have a proven goalscorer in instead.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The big problem with Walcott and not Walcoot as I mentioned earlier (sorry) is his alarming lack of competitive games. I mean everyone is worried about Owen's lack of games but Walcott hasn't even played in the Premiership this season! However I think he's only going to be used in extreme cases, so the fuss is probably over nothing. If he plays Hargreaves, then all I can say is I'm glad Sven is going. Alarming inclusion in the squad.

B

Banana Army

Hmmm... Ok then the opposition wont know much about Walcott, but neither will his teamates.

And as for Hargreaves, he has outshone Ballack many a time this year, so i say his inclusion is a good one.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
He will be training with his team mates for near on a month before the world cup and also more than likely playing with them in some of the warm up games so I think his team mates will get to know him. The difference between Walcott and Owen is that Owen has been out injured and so doesn't have match fitness whereas Walcott will be match fit but just not at Premiership level. I wouldn't hold not getting into the Arsenal 1st 11 against him though. I mean no player would push Henry out of a team. I still believe Walcott could suprise everyone at the World Cup.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Why take walcott? why is darrren bent the leading english premiership goalscorer not been picked.?

Player
Morrisey
It's because it is Sven's last comp. in charge of England and he wants to win, but he knows that he can take big gambles because he has nothing to loose. I think it will work well with Walcott. He will grab 3 or 4 goals in the tournament.