• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Edwards gone

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Contract to the end of the season makes sense, after all we can't guarantee we won't be struggling in a few months time. We don't want to drop out the league and I'm sure MA won't either. As long as we stay put, I think he can then do a real good job of rebuilding the side.

drwhoman

Interesting that MP says that Dave Jones was going to be Edwards mentor not his replacement. Quite a lateral thought and one that Rob might have given more consideration to perhaps. It might have helped him to get it right tactically while trading off Jones' extensive contacts. Still there we are. See how MA goes.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting that MP says that Dave Jones was going to be Edwards mentor not his replacement. Quite a lateral thought and one that Rob might have given more consideration to perhaps. It might have helped him to get it right tactically while trading off Jones' extensive contacts. Still there we are. See how MA goes.
That explains a lot. I thought it was strange for Dave Jones to be seen at PP with Mark Palios. It obviously raised speculation about Rob's future and wasn't the sort of conduct I'd have expect from Mark. On the other hand, being experienced in business and football, Mark's idea of having Dave Jones act as a mentor is novel but makes sense. The problem Rob had was a lack of managerial experience at any level by anyone in this backroom team. John McMahon was the last "old head" we had. I'd have liked to have seen the mentoring in action as Dave must have a lot to offer in terms of tactics, man management and contacts, all of which Rob seemed short on.

Last edited:

drwhoman

Can only agree BBTC. Clearly RE saw it as interference. Pride perhaps. Still -where else will he get a Manager's job now other than the Conference or below? Should have reflected on it a bit more. Still - there we are.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Now Butlers gone, no doubt for appointing a hopeless manager, and Russell too, no doubt for being appointed by a hopeless manager. Well done to the Palios' ...no messing about there then. And Adams makes his first appointment seeing Chris Shuker return to the coaching staff. Now all we need is 3 points tomorrow and "the ship is moving forward again".

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh, it's all happening today. And MA has made his first signing, albeit a loan one. Striker from Chesterfield, Gnanduillet. Big lad, 6'4 nearly 14 stone. He could be a lad with a good run in the side who can actually get a few goals.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
MA and the Palioses don't let the grass grow under their feet! Good news about Chris Shuker - a good player for us before injury slowed him up and someone MA knows well. Not so sure about the big Ivorean striker. He's no great pedigree having scored just 8 times in 51 games. However, at least MA has seen him play (earlier this season against Port Vale). I just hope he stays long enough for us to learn how to pronounce his name (or even spell it)!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Despite Rob's problems at TRFC it is pleasing to see he has got back into football relatively quickly as new assistant manager at Cheltenham.

I hope it goes well for him (apart from against us obviously).

drwhoman

I agree. He may be better as a number two than a number one. I see Andy Robinson is taking time out from Shrewsbury. Continued issues with his knee and also his private life apparently. Being a professional footballer at the end of your career cannot be much fun unless you have a clear idea as to what you want to do next. Never a top class player but pretty decent in his time was Andy.