• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Do you back a wage cap in football?

FSF

Player
McAteer
The Football Supporters' Federation are conducting a quick straw-poll of fans up and down the country. There's only two questions, and it will only take a minute to fill in. We'd be much obliged if you could. Just follow the link below

http://tinyurl.com/3ad6lau

For your troubles, everyone who fills it in gets entered into a free draw to win a copy of Football Manager 2011, just because we're that nice.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
wage expenditure:turnover cap yeah

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
lol

you must be joking. why on earth not?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
no im not joking i dont see why there should be a wage cap, it happens in other sports and doesnt really work.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
jesus christ, mate, what rock are you living under? football (especially in the c'ship) is close to financial meltdown in this country, clubs are being pressured into spending money on wages that they don't even have. there needs to be a salary cap (turnover:wages) asap.

it works fine in loads of other sports. (and in league 2, if you weren't aware that a cap existed there)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
a cap exists in our league as well as league 2.

rugby league have a salary cap but its the same teams all the time that get to the grand final & teams have over spent the salry cap resulting in the odd points dedectuion or small fine.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
i'm almost certain that there isn't any salary cap in league 1. got a link or anything for me?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As far as I am aware there is no compulsory salary cap in Leagues One or Two. I think a voluntary cap was introduced in League Two a few years ago but I am not sure if this is still in place ?

A wage cap is essential for the future survival of the lower division clubs, including ourselves, and the cap should cover all clubs from the Premier League downwards. The ludicrous wages being paid in the Premier League cause wage inflation at all levels of the game, with a knock-on effect for admission prices, with the result that the majority of lower division clubs are financially on their a**es, with attendances now falling at our level of the game after increases for the best part of three decades.