• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Crewe v Rovers - Pizza Trophy

Crewe v Rovers - Pizza Trophy
Posted by Ian
Alexandra Stadium
Tuesday, October 18, 2022 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 18, 2022 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think this game falls into the category of 'one for the masochist'.

I would imagine Micky will make as many changes as the rules permit. Ideally, I think we should rest both strikers, but Nevitt might have to partner Burton up front to enable us to put out a vaguely balanced team. It will be good for McAlear, Hughes and others to get minutes, and hopefully players like Byrne, Jameson and Nolan will put in more convincing performances than they did against Leeds.

If we progress we make a bit of money and a Wembley trip is always welcome. However, given the size of the squad I doubt Mellon will be too concerned if we don't make the knockout stage.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree, RLC. This season, this competition is at worst a risk of injury to key players and at best a chance to allow the bench warmers to prove that the squad is not as thin as most of us are saying.

Even a win tomorrow won’t guarantee progress, so why allow this competition to halt our momentum in the league?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Agree with both posts above, no injuries and some game time for squad members and that's it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with the above sentiments. It might be worth giving Hockenhull game time maybe in a back three, assuming Tom Davies nowhere near playing yet. The most interesting question will concern which of the regulars are used to satisfy the line-up rules. Given the injuries to Lewis and possibly Hemmings, my inclination would be to have Nevitt nowhere near the starting xi

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If both teams win replays Wrexham v Chester

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, Carlisle is actually a good away trip. But a home fixture against non-league opposition would have been better.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky true to his word and sends a fairly inexperienced line up to Crewe. The only first team starter is JDC. Will be interesting though Crewe likely to be picking a lot of squad players too.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is probably the weakest team Micky could have put out that is within the rules. He is using possibly his last chance to assess his fringe players before the transfer window. He is also minimising risk of injury to first teamers, who would have had to play three games in nine days. An interesting choice as captain - is JDC being tried out for the role?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We won!! Looking at the stats we were second best on virtually everything, but I'll take a win any time. Reassuring that the fringe players held their own until the cavalry arrived. We will finish second if Leeds youngsters fail to beat Crewe in the final match, which seems unlikely.

Last edited:

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
well loads of credit to Nevitt if we can get Hemmings scoring, we will be scary also young Sam did well he can only get better the lads will be bouncing at weekend

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn’t watch the Ifollow coverage tonight as thought it would be a dead rubber. Sounds like a few of the youngsters; Lomax and Taylor played well, while as we kept a clean sheet, perhaps Hockenhull isn’t as bad as his previous lack of first team action might suggest?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I watched it in parts but I thought we actually played OK. I thought we improved when Nevitt came on.

Player
Manager
John King
I went tonight and thought it was a pretty disjointed performance for sixty minutes to be honest. There was a dramatic improvement after the substitutions, which emphasises where we are in terms of squad depth at the moment. However, another victory is great for confidence and I am delighted that Nevitt is now scoring consistently. He has scored six now this season and will easily reach double figures.

Of the squad players, I thought Hockenhull had a good game and McAlear was good in the first half. Nolan was poor for the first hour but improved significantly in the quarter back role after the substitutions when he had better players around him. Byrne worries me. He was unconvincing tonight even against weak opposition and I just don't think he is good enough. The two youngsters up front did a lot of game running but showed their naivety, and the ball did not stick up front until Nevitt came on.

Seven wins in eight games now in all competitions.