• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Colchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Oops, sorry folks, had a bit of problems with the domain for the last few days.

Right, onto tomorrows game, it's going to be a tough one.

Unbeaten Colchester expect Marc Tierney to be available for the visit of Tranmere. The left-back was forced off during the first half of last weekend's goalless draw at Southampton after picking up a hip injury but returned to training on Tuesday and has declared himself fit.

Centre-half Pat Baldwin will be checked over after suffering an ankle injury at St Mary's, with Paul Reid standing by to replace him. Right-back Brian Wilson (ankle) missed the trip to the south coast and is also being monitored.

Striker Steven Gillespie is pushing to be involved for the first time this season after recovering from ankle trouble but midfielder John-Joe O'Toole and defender Morten Knudsen (both knee) remain long-term absentees.

Tranmere boss Les Parry will assess the fitness of several players. Liam Darville, Paul McLaren, Ian Thomas-Moore and Adam McGurk are all nursing injuries and will be monitored closely.

Parry said: "We were hoping Liam Darville, Paul McLaren and Ian Thomas-Moore may be available. "Adam McGurk is the biggest question mark. The other three may be available if we need them.''

The size of Rovers' casualty list could have an impact on whether or not loan players Jermaine Grandison and Arnaud Mendy remain at Prenton Park beyond the middle of next week. Parry added: "I'd like to keep both of them but I can't afford to be keeping players we don't need."

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
ITM is likely to go straight back into the team now fit. Hopefully at the expense of Morrow. Otherwise expect the same side as turned out against Charlton.

Colchester have had a decent start to the season and will be tough opponents. It will be interesting how Andy Bond, who they signed from Barrow after offering him a better deal than Rovers performs against us. I'd be pleased if we got anything out of this one.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, a draw would be decent. Obviously Les really rates Bond, so let's hope our boys keep him quiet. Last few games, it's taken us a while to get going. Let's try playing from the whistle and giving them a good game.

O

OneNightInGayParis

If we perform like last week, but perhaps getting out of first gear a little more quickly, it should be a competitive game. Not sure how Colchester play, but we could struggle if they have pace coming in from the flanks. I would be pleased if our only change was ITM for Morrow. Any which way you look at it, a draw would be an excellent result.

Thought I was going to make this game having successfully (and remarkably) pursuaded Mrs ONIGP that Colchester would be the perfect place for a romantic anniversary weekend. However, logistics (and childcare and probably common sense) have won the day and it will be one night in gay Conwy instead.

Anyway, I have bad memories of Colchester (Layer Road in those days). It must have been the 84-85 season and a night match because I evacuated a lecture to get Audrey's club coach after emptying the Quality Street coppers jar. We struggled to find the ground (nobody in Colchester even seemed aware that they had a football team), were soundly beaten, Seamus Heath came on as sub and was promptly sent off again, and the bus broke down twice on the way back North resulting in my return to Bromborough at 7 o' clock the next morning. Having spent 9 hours with only the nourishment of ready salted crisps and Benson & Hedges, I can still remember the desperation to find a toothbrush as I walked through the front door. Having a pint and a chat with Colin Clarke after the game provided some solace, but the whole experience still makes me shudder ...

I sincerely wish anybody who is travelling to the match a victorious and significantly more pleasant excursion.

Status
Not open for further replies.