• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Club vs. Country 2

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
what do you guys think about makalele having to play for france when he wants to retire or he will be banned for two chelsea matches for every one france game that he misses. as its makalele not many people will mind but if it was someone who the footballing community liked then it would be a disgrace. this sanction is imposed on any situation like this.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Claude Makalele has retired from International Football and what is happening is the French Coach is refusing to accept his retirment.

And who all of a sudden has given the French FA the right to get involved in anything to do with the English FA?

Could you imagine when Roy Keane retired from International Football, and Brian Kerr saying 'Well actually Roy if you don't turn up for the next game, I'm calling the English FA and having a ban put on you for your next 2 Man U games. There'd be skin and hair flying in all directions.

I think you'll find this will disappear and we won't hear anything about it again!

DixieDean

Nomur, i'm pretty sure it's a FIFA ruling that anyone called up for their country MUST make themselves available or face a 2 match domestic ban. I don't think it has anything to do with the individual country's FAs. :???:

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I understand that Dix, But this guy has actually announced his retirement from International Football, he can't be forced to play, and surely his country should respect his decision. That's what I'd expect.

If was still playing, was called up and didn't show, then I think that's grounds for domestic suspension.

In fact does anyone know if this has ever happened before? Has anyone been suspended domestically for reasons of an International nature?

"Answers on a postcard or a sealed down envelope!!!"

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
yeah a certain nicolas anelka did it. as far as i know there have been no other cases

Griff

Apparently this is more to do with the French manager.

He claims that he did not know that makalele had retired so was including him in this plans.

In this case, as the manager thought he was availible for selection, if he doesnt not turn up when selected, he will be banned as per FIFA rules.

I doubt he will actually recieve any ban however, as he did send a letter detailing his retirement to the French F.A. several days before the squad was announced and Chelsea have already raised this.

The sad part is that even if this was a big mix up and the French manager didnt know (which I doubt) its still terrible that he wont except his retirement. The guy is getting on and its 2 years until the next competition.

This doesnt happen much as retirements are generally excepted. Its a crap rule anyway as anyone should be able to refuse call-up on any grounds they like, its the clubs they work for, not the national team.