• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Classic quotes

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Been a little quiet on here recently, so thought I'd revive the threads a bit by injecting some classic quotes into the mix.

All of these were taken form the official site many years ago (when it was good).

Enjoy..

1. John King 1991/1992
"Aldridge is like a pair of shoes in a shop. You look at them over and over again and then you find you have enough money to buy them"

2. John King 1995/1996
"Always remember that football clubs are only as good as the people at the top"

3. John King 1993/1994
"Tranmere will never be able to compete with Liverpool and Everton. They're like big liners like the Queen Mary, but I see Tranmere as a deadly submarine"

4. John King 1991/1992
"I can't promise anyone success, but I can promise them a trip to the moon"

5. John King 1995/1996
"I told them beforehand I wanted to see them firing bullets and not blanks. I wanted us playing with live ammunition, and they went out and did that"

6. John King 1998/1999
"It will be a very sad day when I leave Tranmere and I am proud of what I have achieved here. Now I have to think towards the future. I am looking for a new ship"

7. Chairman Frank Corfe 1991/1992
"I would have thought that moving to an up-and-coming club like Tranmere would be a mouthwatering prospect for many a world-class player"

8. Secretary Norman Wilson 1993/1994
"We refuse to mark the referee because of his inept performance especially the penalty incident when Mark Bosnich brought down John Aldridge in a goal-scoring situation"

9. John King 1995/1996
"I made a vow with Peter Johnson that I would take Tranmere into the Premier. We all shook hands on it, only he jumped off"

10. John King 1993/1994
"It was a tears job today. I liken it to almost being almost like a death. When someone has died it's difficult to say the right thing and this was exactly the same with the boys in tears in there. It just goes to show how highly emotional this game can be"

11. John Deehan, then Norwich manager 1994/1995
"There are 600 managers and 400 centre halves who have tried to contain John Aldridge for the last 20 years. Why should I think I could?"

12. John Morrissey 1992/1993
"That would have been my first ever hat-trick. Although I've scored two and we've won having that goal disallowed has taken the edge off it. I'll have to nick one of Aldo's match balls, he has got plenty so he must have one to spare"

13. Bolton manager Phil Neal 1991/1992
"We lost today due to tired legs but we finished five points ahead of Tranmere and level on points with a team that was automatically promoted"

14. John King 1993/1994
"Tranmere will never be able to compete with Liverpool and Everton. They're like big liners like the Queen Mary, but I see Tranmere as a deadly submarine"

With no.7 being my all time favourite.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Well spotted! haha :razz: but if memory serves, Kingy definitely said it more than once, so you have to let Ian off there! :wink:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, you're right there Coops!