• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cherries 2 Rovers 1

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Risk worse than what we currently have??? 1 win in 14 is what we currently have. As for missing aldo or muir would struggle to get goals in this system and tactics. The lone striker roll is a thankless task as usually when you get the ball there are no players within 10 yards of you and you have to hold off 2 defenders whilst waiting for support.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
1 win in 14 tells its own story. What other club would put up with this sort of statistic and where does the line get drawn at 1 win in 20? This is relegation form our next few games are thus:

Hudderfield (h)
Wycombe (a)
Preston (h)
Carlisle (a)
Charlton (h)
Oldham (a)
Chesterfield (a)
Notts county (h)

Cant see anything but a defeat against Huddersfield. We SHOULD get at least a point away at Wycombe (providing they dont score first) we should get at least a point at home to Preston, Carlisle away and Charlton at home I would expect defeats. Oldham could turn into a real 6 pointer with them sitting just above us albeit with a game in hand. Chesterfield again will be tough and Martin Allen will simply outthink Les and snatch all 3 points again.
We could be right in the relegation dogfight by the end of this little run. What concerns me most is that there will be no changes to anything. Les will still be in charge, we will continue to force square pegs into round holes when it comes to team selection and we will continue to play Les's unique brand of Football.
Someone said earlier that 451 can work, and your spot on. Its how you play while in that formation that is important. We set ourselves out to defend first and attack second. The defence is told to clear their lines at all cost which see's us hoofing the ball up toward the loan striker all the time. The 5 we have in midfield gets completely bypassed and have little influence on the game. Often they spend most of the game trying to win the ball back rather than using the ball themselves. This is the reason creative players such as Devaney, Robbo and Baxter have had very little influence on games, they simply dont get the ball in the right areas.

Player
Liam Palmer
I think it was about this time last season when we were all making predictions about which games we'd win or lose and how many points we'd end up with.We picked up a whole load of unexpected points and lost to teams we were confident in beating. So on that basis, I reckon we'll beat Huddersfield and lose heavily at Wycombe. This is Tranmere Rovers after all!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Couple of good points in last couple of posts TT. Big Mart says Aldo would struggle to score goals in this side. However, you make the point earlier that chances are created and spurned - so despite the less than aesthetic football chances are created and contrary to Big Mart I think Aldo would score...although hypothetical.

To be honest I would like to see McGurk more central either in the hole (with a run of games) or even up top in 4-4-2. Midfield might be weaker, but with two up top it might make their back 4 hoof it under pressure. At the mo they can walk it out in their own time with Tiryaki trundling alone along the line to challenge them.

It is all about players and whatever system I don't think they are good enough for this league...maybe with a full squad to chose from, but looking at the 11 normally turning out it will be difficult to say the least.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree with Higgy in that on paper anyway, I think we have a squad that should be doing better.

But as we know games aren't won on paper and Les is fast failing to get the best out of a half decent squad at this level.

Obviously the players should look at themselves, but the buck always stops with the manager. Simple as that.

At present Les is responsible for motivation, tactics - and everything else. And it clearly isnt working.

I am not at the 'Les Out!' stage yet but I am not that far off.

I reckon he has 2 more games. Hudds at home everyone will expect us to lose so Les has nothing to lose there - although if say we get tonked, the crowd will be baying for blood.

The Wycombe game is much more important and lose that and I think he'll go.

Although from hearing him, it doesnt sound like he would ever resign so PJ would have to make him walk before its too late.

I think moving say McGurk up front is a great idea - but if Les hasnt done it by now he will never do it coz he is so stubborn.

Player
Liam Palmer
We have used lots of players in lots of positions this season, often due to injuries, so it wouldn't be true to say Les has stuck with the same team all season, just the formation seldom changes.

Having said that..... I wasn't at Bournemouth, but listening to Les' post-match interview he said that he withdrew Pan at half-time so he could bring Lucas on and "play the extra striker". So it would seem we went 442 second half (with Weir out wide right). Is this what happened? And if it did, why did it not make a difference? Lots of people on this board are calling for Les to be less stubborn and change formation. Did he actually do this on Saturday and nobody noticed?

Player
Goodison
Surely Lateef is a striker - I thought that was why Parry signed him?! Oh wait he's actually got a goal scoring record, we couldn't possibly play him upfront ](*,)

Akins will never improve any situation, even at sunday league level. Also why is Parry so averse to playing a right winger (Devaney) on the right side? Weir is awful out wide.

Les Parry - Tranmere's worse ever manager. Since the last one.

Player
Liam Palmer
I was just trying to get an explanation or some points of view. Sorry if my post caused some sort of coronary attack. I agree Pan is a striker, that's why I found the comment odd.

We've had a lot worse in charge of Rovers, you better believe it!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Have to agree that if the changes at half time at Bournemouth were tactical, I don't understand the decision to take Lateef off and stick Akins up front. Surely it would have made more sense to remove Weir (who was very poor by all accounts anyway) and play both Akins and Lateef in their preferred positions ?

I generally agree with the sentiments expressed by Boz and TT that a change is not wise at the moment. However, I think we are close to a tipping point, with even the more level headed supporters rapidly losing patience. I would still contend that Tiryaki (or even McGurk for that matter) would score more goals if played in a formation that suited them, and Les must become more open minded tactically if he is to survive.

Player
Dave Challinor
It's a yes from me

I tend to agree with all the statements so far.

Kind of boring i know, the main issue is that we do not carry a threat, les fails to commit players forward. He gives the players no confidence in passing, we have got some decent lads with ability but have some balls Parry :oops:
..................Oh
Can anyone explain to me why we leave no-one up front at corners?? :evil:
Seriously starting to wind me up. So much so i am posting rather than just reading comments.

I think this says everything about Parry - it is basic - gives us an outlet - stops the ball coming back easily and occupies 2 defenders ](*,)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Aside from the Cheltenham game, we have generally created a decent number of chances this season, it's more a failure to put them away that has been our downfall. While flexibility in formation is useful, it is not a cure-all and there have been times when switching to a 442 has made things worse.

I think you can question who the majority of those chances have fallen to, however. With the exception of a couple of shots from distance at Yeovil, I can't remember Tiryaki having many efforts on goal in recent weeks. The majority of the sitters we have missed have fallen to midfielders, as with the system we play (or at least how we play it), the lone striker spends the majority of his time 30 or 40 yards from goal facing our own defence.

Playing two up front, or at least moving the whole team ten or fifteen yards up the pitch to allow the striker to get into the box, would at least increase the number of opportunities created for our forward(s). After all, it is our strikers who are at least notionally employed with the main objective of scoring goals.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
After all, it is our strikers who are at least notionally employed with the main objective of scoring goals.
Christ, I'd forgotten that's what they were there for! :lol:

Seriously though, Parry has to start thinking about mixing things up here. Someone mentioned a few pages back that maybe the opposition has sussed us out. Parry decided to play a rigid system from the beginning and made it clear to everyone he had no intention of changing tactics for home/away games etc..

Might be time for some humble pie because if we continue to play like we are, we aren't going to pick up many points. Something has to change.

I don't think fan's would mind if he tried something different, but his stubbornness to embrace change might be his ultimate downfall.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think you can question who the majority of those chances have fallen to, however. With the exception of a couple of shots from distance at Yeovil, I can't remember Tiryaki having many efforts on goal in recent weeks. The majority of the sitters we have missed have fallen to midfielders, as with the system we play (or at least how we play it), the lone striker spends the majority of his time 30 or 40 yards from goal facing our own defence.

Playing two up front, or at least moving the whole team ten or fifteen yards up the pitch to allow the striker to get into the box, would at least increase the number of opportunities created for our forward(s). After all, it is our strikers who are at least notionally employed with the main objective of scoring goals.

There is some truth in this, particularly away from PP. In the last 4 games he played Tiryaki had 6 goal attempts, half of which came in the Brentford game. However as previously talked about on here, when Mustafa is given a decent ball into the box, he doesn't always attack it.

I'm more attracted by the two strikers option than playing further forward. Simply because none of our defenders have any pace, giving an attacker who gets behind the line a clear run on goal.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm going to join the debate about what's wrong and what is now needed by saying that I believe our squad is by and large up to League One standard. Of course, a prolific striker would help, but don't you think Les has spent a lot of time on finding one? Difficult on our budget.

Our system was OK earlier in the season and even recently we have only lost by the odd goal. Yes, maybe we should mix it up a bit and Les has shown in recent games he is willing to change system and personnel much earlier in the game.

I think the main problem now is confidence. I don't know if the bad run has caused it or vice versa, but despite trying very hard, how many of the team look confident in front of goal? Bringing in new players doesn't seem to have made much difference. All else seems to be failing, so maybe Les should bring in a sports psychologist. They have worked wonders elsewhere in the past. Laugh if you like, but it must be worth a try.

On the question of replacing Les, we are between a rock and a hard place. If he gets the sack, he will need a payoff. As will Summerfield and McMahon, as I don't believe either are manager material and probably would not be retained by a new manager. That would blow the season's budget, leaving no more money for new players - even loanees.

Getting replacement manager of any calibre and experience would be a real challenge. I notice that the excellent John Coleman, who would make a great candidate, has left Accrington for Rochdale. Rochdale!! And I heard he turned down Rovers when Barnes got sacked! Ironically, Coleman has been very complimentary about Les, as has Karl Robinson, another of the better League One managers. I think we can still come good this season, but even if things don't improve, I'd be very doubtful if we could find anyone else who could perform the necessary miracle.

Player
Liam Palmer
A sensible post by BBCS, I agree with it all really. You cannot underestimate the importance of confidence in a football team. Why do teams go on unbeaten runs - confidence - then the same players go ages without a win - loss of confidence.

One other thing: players need to do their jobs. The defending for Bournemouth's winner was criminal. Basically someone wasn't doing their job. How can a manager take the blame for that?

I think the players should be in the spotlight as much as the manager and the system he chooses. To me, quite a few of them are letting the club down with sub-standard performances.

M

Mal

Agree - look at Leyton Orient - tranmere's results in reverse. That is, first 15 games for LO = roughly last 15 games for Rovers, give or take