• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Cherries 2 Rovers 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Where do we go from here!?

Will be interesting to hear from anyone mad enough to go how we did.

Bring on Udders!!

DIW

Player
Goodison
I wasn't there and I'm not going to go down the Parry out route as it simply isn't that straightforward.

Take these seven games in the league

Notts County A
Charlton A
Scunthorpe A
Sheff Wed H
Brentford H
Yeovil A
Bournemouth A

We have taken the lead in these seven games and have failed to win away of them. Only two have we drawn, so out of a potential 21 points there we have taken 2. As an addition to that we have never under Parry won a game from being behind.

I happen to think that Les has done a reasonable job of getting a squad together under difficult financial circumstances and keeping us up the last two season especially given the horrendously imbalanced mess that Barnes left. However, to keep repeatedly surrendering leads suggests to me something seriously wrong with the mentality of the team, the backbone and the ability to dig in. At half time some one posted something like 'How is Les going to lift them now?' and the only answer I could think of was 'He won't' and he didn't. I'm sick of hearing how we don't get what we deserve and that we need to put chances away and that the ball doesn't drop for us. Well sometimes you have to make it happen and we never do.

Am I saying Parry out? Not at the moment who the hell would come in? Les has done well, and got some decent players, but i refuse to believe there isn't a manager out there who could motivate and fire the team up a hell of a lot more and Les needs to find a way to do it and do it fast because we are on our way to League 2.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just echoing DIW's comments, I think we are basically agreeing that Les struggles to (or is unwilling to) make a positive impact during games through changes in tactics or personnel. Whether this is down to tactical naivety or stubbornness on his part, or both, I can't say. I don't think you can put our failure to come from behind in games down to the attitude of the players, as there has been a strong work ethic and battling spirit for most of his time in charge.

I agree that his after-match comments are becoming a tad tedious now. I am not sure we can blame a sequence of 1 win in 14 games on 'luck', unless the laws of probability have changed in the last two months. Nor, despite what has been suggested recently, can that run be put down entirely to absentees, as we were losing games well before the recent spate of injuries and illness.

Perhaps the time has come for Summerfield and McMahon to have a greater input, and give Parry the benefit of their considerable experience. I certainly don't think our current approach of bumbling along without any major reassessment of our approach is going to bring results.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Les simply doesn't have an answer to this ongoing problem. Playing the luck card can only carry you so far. If he doesn't pull this around soon, he'll have the supporters on his back and a very precarious league position to deal with.

Regarding today's game, I watched the highlights before. Devaney took his goal well. Slightly unlucky for their first as it took a deflection, but there can be no excuses for their second. Short corner which nobody picked up at all, eventually ended up in the back of the net.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think Les helped himself with some ill-advised remarks after the Rochdale game; I hadn't seen the Parry out banner two years ago and despite the injuries we had in that game, the team could still have been set up more positively. Remarks after losing today that the difference between sides are as thin as a single hair are questionable.

It sounds from what I've read and heard of the game that while Rovers might be considered a tad unlucky, we certainly didn't pull out all the stops once falling behind. Even possession and 12:9 in terms of goal attempts. Perhaps TRFCJason can give us an account of what went right and wrong, also was the new loanee Wallace any good?

I was a bit surprised that Cole Stockton not on the bench after his encouraging debut and expected Akins to start ahead of Devaney because he's more willing to track back. Given Martin scored, that looked like the right call though. In watching the lowlights of the Rochdale game again, did note that our first two chances in that were both set up by Ash Taylor, the first being an aerial challenge setting up Akins. Given Ash has also scored more than Goodi, maybe he should have been deployed up front when he came on as sub.

We'll almost certainly get beat by Udders next weekend. A pivotal match the following weekend against a Wycombe side, who were comfortably beaten at PP by a below-par Rovers. Wycombe ran out 3-0 winners against Rochdale, who we failed to beat, so I wouldn't be hopeful about getting anything at Adams Park. Lose both of the next two and the manager's position will be precarious.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I went today and at first I was quite impressed they seemed to be passing the ball well and the number 25 took his goal well, after that it all changed, the Cherries never looked that great the whole game and there first goal was a lucky deflection, however there second was a corner and from what I could see it looked like an own goal, but the angle wasn't good, the second half they were better but still lacked the abillity to finish, the new lad put a good shift in, but I didn't rate Weir much ( kept giving the ball away) the chicken striker guy we've got looks a bit lazy, but after the game some of the bournemouth fan's I know said he was good, so what do I know, for me Parry needed to change things earlier but sadly he didn't, Goodison looked like he was injured and then later in the second half he went up front, for me Danny Homes was the man of the match, mainly for the second half were he didn't put a foot wrong.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Is Goodys contrat due up in the summer? If so, Im wondering if he would be offered the manager post at end of season, esp if we do go down?

darrens8761

darrens8761
Player
ITM
ok so my parry out post was a bit silly. but its so frustrating how naive les parry is.

i didnt go bournmouth but have a season ticket and go to every home game and this season has been poor. the rochdale game for me should have got the chairman thinking of removing parry from his post. 0-0 against a really poor side and getting booed off at the end.

we have poor gates so less revenue. people will not watch a poor side

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think Goody will be hanging up his boots at the end of the season never to be seen again. Jamaica here I come!

Player
Goodison
Parry's hoof ball, negative tactics have been found out - and he's too stubborn to change them. In November teams worked out how to play against us and our team is not allowed to play any other way.

I think the fact that Parry has refused to undertake any kind of managerial qualifications as part of his role is been shown up here as he doesn't have a clue what to do. I'm not saying that you neccasarilly need qualifications to be a manager, but a lot of players say how much more of the game they understand after taking qualifications whilst playing - Parry would surely benefit from this.

Unforunately Parry is an arrogant, stubborn manager who lets his pride blind himself from problems. Parry should have returned to his physio role after keeping us up and allowed someone else to build a team - it was always going to end in tears otherswise. Over the past two seasons there has been very little progress and the style of play is much the same - 4-5-1 whoever were playing.

I know some people here will say that 4-5-1 can work, yes it can, but with the right players and the right style of play. Rather bizzarely, hoof ball is better with two upfront as your more likely to retain the ball, 4-5-1 is a formation which teams who like to keep the ball prefer to play.

Parry's 4-5-1 consists of 2 centre backs who are told to hit long balls down the channels, 2 full backs who aren't allowed over the half way line, 3 central midfielders whose job it is to work hard and hoof it, 2 wide players who are actually strikers but just play there because there vaguely quick and a big man upfront, because he's big.

One of the main arguments put forward to defend this "style" of play is the budget. However we've still managed to end up with 3 right backs (Raven, Kay, Holmes) and currently 6 strikers (Showunmi, Tiriyaki, McGurk, Akins, Lateef, Stockton). Parry not only has a small budget - but he wastes it on the wrong type of player. This squad is crying out for 2 wingers to provide some width - with Devaney and Zoom also available. Without players who will strech the defence we are always going to struggle to score goals.

Playing a defensive 4-5-1 at home to Rochdale, who lost 3-0 to Wycombe yesterday is the final nail in the coffin for me. Parry has no plan B, his plan A is rubbish, his style of football is absymal and his post match comments are increasingly desperate. Time to go physio.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A good post.

We have also brought in 3 loan players from the premier league the last two when we were told we had to move players out yet none have gone out so maybe the budget isnt the be all and end all as lots seem to think.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
RTID's argument is quite compelling tbh

darrens8761

darrens8761
Player
ITM
to take over from barnes and keep us up was an absolute miracle. last season was ok i guess given the rebuilding that had to take place. so for that les has done a great job against the odds and kept us in league 1.

however this season is his team, and we are heading towards a relegation scrap.he said play offs all season long and at the start we looked decent enough to be top 10 all season. ok we have small budget etc.. but so do other teams who are above us in the league.

les has made some very poor signings. enoch has never been fully fit as long as we have had him. robbo as good as he is has never been fully fit nor has devaney. all 3 have got to be top earners at the club. their injury record being poor not their ability.

les is a decent bloke and a tranmere legend given all his service to the club but now is the time to put sentiment aside and do what is best for the club and get somebody in now who could turn it around before it is too late and we end up in league 2.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
les is a decent bloke and a tranmere legend given all his service to the club but now is the time to put sentiment aside and do what is best for the club and get somebody in now who could turn it around before it is too late and we end up in league 2.
very tricky situation. got to agree, parry really is struggling to get us out of this downward spiral but what miracle worker is going to come and turn things around? don't forget, we spent months looking for a manager and ended up with our physio. i think that says a lot about the calibre of manager.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is difficult to know what is best at this stage. As Ian points out, there weren't a queue of potential bosses eager to take over when Barnes was axed, so will it be any better this time round, if Les was removed?

Aside from the Cheltenham game, we have generally created a decent number of chances this season, it's more a failure to put them away that has been our downfall. Compare with last season where it was not unusual for us to only muster the odd goal attempt throughout the game. I don't think hoof-ball has been nearly as prevalent this season either and the quality of the football is generally an improvement on last season. While flexibility in formation is useful, it is not a cure-all and there have been times when switching to a 442 has made things worse.

I do think that Les has not learned from the mistakes of his predecessors, who were also fond of deploying fastish strikers as wingers; think Little with Hume and Dagnall and Ronnie with Greenacre. However given we are creating chances, it doesn't seem that the absence of a winger is fatal. What we need is a striker who is savvy at this level and the manager's failure to address that at the start of the season or by loaning during the window may prove fatal regardless of who is in charge.

Player
Liam Palmer
Les has said his priority is bringing in a striker. If we could get someone - anyone - in who could convert just some of the chances we are making then we would start winning again. It's not as easy as it seems. There aren't that many out there and available. Most likely we'll be signing a young kid from a Premier club on loan.

I don't think there's that much wrong with the squad, except the lack of a goalscorer.

Each game is tight. The odd mistake or missed chance and we are losing games. Get rid of Les and we risk something worse than we have now. I don't think it's worth the risk at this stage.