• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Carlisle v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
So a trip to Cumbria, for a tough-looking fixture v Carlisle. Pity we haven't got a bit longer to bask in the weekend win and try and get Aaron fit.

Given we're without an established left-back, presumably Blanchard will fill in; I think the only other fit player who had played there is Goodison and we don't want to go there again. That does leave a big gap for a defensive midfielder, thankfully McLaren still out (though OS makes ominous noises about him being fit for Saturday](*,)) Presumably Fraughan or Mendy if he's still around to fit into midfield.

Craig Curran will have a point to prove, though he seems to have been playing in a similar role this season to the one he performed for us, rather than out and out striker. He hasn't been prolific, but odds are will get on the scoresheet here. Can't see us getting anything out of this one.

Tomorrow

I'd personally keep Blanchard protecting our back four, I don't see anyone else capable of doing that job, especially away from home. I know this causes a headache defensively but now that Cathalina has proved himself, along with the return of Broomes and Grandison maybe we can arrange an alternative solution for one match?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think we can get a 1 1 draw with curran scoring for them and enoch for us

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd personally keep Blanchard protecting our back four, I don't see anyone else capable of doing that job, especially away from home. I know this causes a headache defensively but now that Cathalina has proved himself, along with the return of Broomes and Grandison maybe we can arrange an alternative solution for one match?

Les doesn't do alternative solutions!

I did wonder about a 3-5-2 given our glut of central defenders, but while Tim could manage the right-wingback role ok, I don't think either Fraughan or Jennings has enough defensively to fill in on the left. Assuming we stick to 4-3-3, it's too big a risk to ask Tim/Darville to fill in on the left, although I entirely agree Max will be missed in the midfield role.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah I'll be worried about the left hand side tonight. Blanchard will do ok but when your away he'll need support from Jennings and as good as Dale is going forward, whether he'll track back for ther full 90 remains to be seen. If max goes to left back Les may bring in a more defensive midfielder (Mendy?) to support the left hand side.

Curran seems to be replicating his rovers form. Works hard, praised by the manager, but for a front man misses chances and just doesnt score enough.

Given they have had a decent season so far, have to be happy with a point if poss.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's come round too quick this game, I'm still basking in the glory of Saturday.

Going to be a tough one this. It'll be a cold, windy night.
We are the form team going into this one. Three wins on the bounce whereas Carlisle haven't won in three. Two defeats at home this month (Peterborough, Charlton), they'll certainly want a good start to their November fixtures.

I just hope the lads put in a decent performance. Winning three in a row is great, but can they maintain these performances? Fingers crossed.

O

OneNightInGayParis

I would use Broomes at left back for this one - due to his greater experience the risk would probably be least. Bring in Grandison to partner Goodison and leave Blanchard where he is.

It almost feels that expecting a fourth victory on the bounce, or any kind of result, is unreasonable bearing in mind the stats of the last 18 months. However, our 4-3-3 is suited to away games and we have a forward line who seem to be on fire. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet but I would expoect us to score. A 2-2 draw?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow, I thought he was nowhere near fitness. Well, that's the left back position sorted. Prediction. I'm going 1-1.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Curran will surely manage to score at least once. Might be ok if we get 4 again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
pretty much. terrible times to concede. maybe if ITM had converted...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It seems a bit harsh to put this defeat in the same category as the likes of Colchester and Yeovil. It sounded from the second half as if we had enough changes to pull the game back even at two down with ITM and Enoch the culprits, though it is always difficult to get a balanced view from a commentary.

Defending sounded awful on both goals, and as so often we only started playing after switching to 4-4-2.

At least we finished the game strongly and hopefully the confidence won't be too dented going in to Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.