• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Carlisle 3 Tranmere 0

DixieDean

Dumb and Dumber take another step closer to an early pay-off. 8-[

Can't believe I just put the wrong score in!

I apologise to anyone who comes on here to find the score and thinks we won!

We lost 3-0. I think I'm still drunk from last night!!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Maybe Ian can edit the thead title for you...

I listened on the radio today. Was skeptical about the 4-5-1 from the outset, and thought it smacked of Barnes playing the "shut up shop" game. What happened to that "trying to win every game, home or away" stuff he was talking about the other week? It sounded like we spent most of today hoofing the ball up the pitch with 10 men behind the ball - makes you wonder if Barnes himself is losing confidence in his own "philosophy" as well as the players.

We had one shot all game, a 30 yard shot from Alan Mahon which was deflected and tipped over. This against a team that had failed to record a point at home prior to today, I believe. Things do not look rosey. I will be annoyed if Barnes tries to pin our defeat on the sending off of Logan, and I don't expect him to because so far he's been pretty realistic, honest and openly critical of our poor performances.

If we continue to go away from home trying to play for a 0-0, we will probably get a point every 3 or 4 games. Moore came unstuck for large parts of last season taking a cautious approach away from home and adopting 4-5-1, but more than made up for this by steering us towards the playoffs armed with one of the best home records in the league. Under Barnes we look equally weak at home and things are very worrying at the moment.

For now, we continue to hope that the additions of Broomes, Bain and Ricketts will have some effect over the next month or two.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Would add that, after today, we've conceded 12 goals without response since hitting Gilligham for 4.

Player
Goodison
If Barnes doesn't go we will be relegated. Just heard him on 5 Live and he seemed to be having a pop at every single player - sounds like he's cracking up to me.

As for the game it sounds like it was a pretty pathetic performance, especially when you read the match stats - Possesion : 63% - 37%, Shots on Target 8-1, Shots off target 10-4.

The possesion stat particulary irks me given that Barnes goes on about the opposition not been able to score if we have the ball. If he thinks that, why are we incapable of keeping the ball? - His coaching? The players? The tactics? The weather? Everything?

Barnes really needs to get a grip and sort out what he's doing with the team, particulary the midfield which seems incapable of creating chances or getting the ball back. Hopefully Barnes will be at the local job centre sooner rather then later.

Coppell anyone? If he can be persuaded.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I've edited the title thread immediately. Don't want to give anyone false hopes!

Another heavy defeat, and that's five games without a goal. This is getting desperate now. Our defence sounded weak again today and absolutely no attacking threat whatsoever. Yes, we did struggle more with 10-men and I believe the sending off was a harsh one, but never-the-less it was still not good enough overall.

McAteer said the players were positive before this game and they were going to go into the game positively. It sounds to me like morale is low and the players are playing with no confidence at all.

Second from bottom now and if it weren't for Southampton's troubles off the field, we woud be firmly rooted to the bottom. And to think PJ wanted to make a change to 'take the club forward'.

The club is becoming a joke. Dumb and dumber etc..
It's going to be a difficult season..

Player
Goodison
Just read some of Barnes comments and I'm very concerned:

"We don't know what the outcome would have been had we not had ten men"

We do Dumb - we would have lost. According to Sky it was one way traffic from start to finish.

"The second goal - we had the ball on the edge of our box and Ian Thomas-Moore passed to Ryan Fraughan and gave it away"

Picking out individual players is not the way to build team spirit - especially when it's the most inexpierenced player on the pitch.

"Maybe in terms of the way the game went, but the goals had nothing to do with ten men."

An extra man may have been able to pick up men for the goals so having one less outfield player probably did have some effect Mr Dumb.

"Ash Taylor coming on did ok. Gavin Gunning is not going to be with us any more so Ash is going to play."

Where does this leave Broomes? or is Barnes actually considering changing the midfield :shock:

"Forget about how we're playing, he shows that kind of commitment."

Stick eleven fans on the pitch then if the way were playing (or not playing) doesn't matter - you will get more commitment and the same result!

"As to whether I have to bring in 15 or 16 year olds to show the right desire, maybe so."

Some of our younger posters might be able to get in the team!

"We have to show more. We have to want it more individually."

We need to want it more as a team - you defend as a team and attack as a team. Is this where Barnes is going wrong - does he think you defend as individuals and attack as individuals?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm grateful for being too ill to go. Puzzled that Broomes didn't feature at all. Also at the subs, why was Fraughan on rather than Barnett and replacing Cresswell with Curran... As usual the sacred cows lasted the full 90. I heard the 5live interview with JB, which didn't fill me with confidence. Out of his depth I'm afraid.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A lot has been made about the opposition and that we've been playing tough teams (Leeds, Bolton, MK Dons and Charlton) and maybe the situation isn't as bad, but I dont buy that. What was there excuse against Yeovil and Carlisle? It's the same formula for defeat.

We aren't even competitive right now. If we'd have lost games but played well and had good chances to score, I wouldnt be as worried. Teams would love to play us at the moment because the opposition are walking all over us. Where's the fight and spirit in them?

Feel it for the supporters.. Travelling to Carlisle and seeing eleven jesters running round a pitch. Think you should ask for your money back. Maybe take it out the players' wages.

The team and the manager need to step up and be counted. I don't think Barnes has a clue how to play this division and the players it seems dont have a clue how to play his system.

Six games out of eight, we have failed to score a goal. That is alarming!! :shock:

If we lose again next Saturday, something has to be done.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Coppell anyone? If he can be persuaded.

No chance we could get Coppell. I expect sacking Barnes and Macca would be expensive - did they both sign a 2/3 year contract or something? - so would speculate any replacement is likely to represent a return to the cheap and cheerful - and probably with some affiliation to the club. Ray Mathias? There's no chance Ronnie would come back while PJ is still about, obviously. Do love the bloke though. Ronnie Ronnie Ronnie...

Ally

Player
Aldo
This is horrible. We knew he'd be **** didn't we? Have a feeling PJ will give Thick n Thin / the Chuckle Brothers / Dumb n Dumber etc more time than they deserve. I know the other week I said give JB 10 games, but I wasn't expecting to get thumped every week and play game after game afer game without scoring a fecking goal. :-x

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not only have we not scored in the 5 defeats how man chances have we created and how ofter have we looked like scoring.

Something has to be done soon before we are isolated in the bottom 4, they are on 2 yr deals so not sure pj will want to finance their contracts and get someone else in but we can only hope he does.

](*,)](*,)

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
Again as I wasn't at the game I will reserve specific comments on the performance.

But what I will say is its fine bringing in a high profile manager to gain the club a higher profile. Fine that is if things are going well. However if things go the other way (say, just for example, you are well and truly entrenched in the bottom three and are getting thumped every week - home and away) then that high profile has a very negative effect. The national media and press are much more likely to focus on us with Barnes in charge, and when he comes out spouting the sort of rubbish I heard on 5 Live we are in danger of becoming a bit of a joke.

Working in the Midlands I often discuss Rovers with other fans and their opinion of us is usually a hard working little family club who often punch above our weight. However since Barnes and McAteer have been in charge its all jokes about Dumb and Dumber, Pinky and Perky, etc.

And as for their contracts - the problem as far as I can see is not just the useless duo being on long term contracts - but also a lot of the players they have brought in. If anyone else was to come in (and Mathias has been my choice all along) then they will be stuck with the dross we signed in the summer. Although they will have Barnett who must be the freshest player in the division!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can't help fearing that it's all part of Johnson's agenda, 2 year contracts = 2 relegations, we drop into the conference, the ground gets flogged for housing & PJ gets his money back. Hoping to be proved wrong.

DWaltz

Mate if that was Johnsons plan he could have done it 15 years ago. Dont think such stupid things. People are quick to jump on Johnsons back but he did finance trying to get us to the prem all them years ago which some of the little kiddie know it alls on here seem to forget. As if he would ever want us to get relegated to the conference. He could have sold to Vaughan a few years back and got his money back if he was that desperate.

Everything is going awful at the minute, I still say give Barnes another 5 games. Awful start, awful performances, granted. But there are 40 (FOURTY) games and 120 (YES ONE HUNDERED AND TWENTY) points left to play for.

Agree with the big name and the press jumping on us comment from above. Very good point. Just think we need to ride a storm at the minute. We are down in the dumps but I dont think we will stay here all season.

Also Barnes is actually on less money than Moore was so it wouldnt quite be as expensive as people think to sack him.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Can't help fearing that it's all part of Johnson's agenda, 2 year contracts = 2 relegations, we drop into the conference, the ground gets flogged for housing & PJ gets his money back. Hoping to be proved wrong.

This isn't even close to being logical. We don't need to get relegated to sell the ground and it isn't an immediate priority anyway while we still own Ingleborough, which is going to take ages to push through.

That said, I think it is quite possible that PJ will die as chairman of this club. Then, I have no idea what happens.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
People are quick to jump on Johnsons back but he did finance trying to get us to the prem all them years ago which some of the little kiddie know it alls on here seem to forget.

Don't know who you're referring to here DWaltz, as you seem to be the most opinionated person currently posting here. My Dad started taking me to Tranmere in the 70s, so I've seen the bad times and the good. I certainly recognise the debt we owe to Mr Johnson for keeping the club alive. However I'm puzzled & concerned as it's hard to follow his current stance. No idea why Moore was sacked. While I can understand the idea of appointing a 'big name' manager to keep the club in the public eye to attract buyers, why wasn't that tempered with a no 2 having ample experience at this level? Football is littered with ostensible saviours, who've turned out to be anything but. To my mind the first few months of PJs second coming are tarnishing his earlier achievements with the club.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Guys, I think this is running well off-topic now. Can you add to an existing chairman/future of the club thread or create a new one. Just post-match discussions in here please..

Player
Goodison
Boz I wouldn't go along with this PJ conspiracy theory too much.

I understand that people are frustrated which means people start looking for more extreme explainations for his decision to appoint Banres but PJ is a Tranmere fan - the idea of appointing Barnes was probably to raise the profile of the club to attract a buyer as well as hopefully attracting some "big name players", not send us to the Blue Square.

I saw PJ after the Scunthorpe game and he was clearly upset by the result. Whilst the appointment of Barnes was ridiculous - the idea of it been part of a James Bond film esque plot to ruin Tranmere simply isn't true.

Player
Goodison
Guys, I think this is running well off-topic now. Can you add to an existing chairman/future of the club thread or create a new one. Just post-match discussions in here please..

oops but previous post in as you posted that #-o