• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bury 2-1 John Barnes

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Lost again. This time Curran dared to tease us by audaciously scoring a few minutes in with a shot that apparently (shouldn't have) crept inside Wayne Browns near post. Well done to him for scoring, nonetheless.

Tonight's commentary team seemed to think we were the better side and deserved to go through. It will be interesting to see if the first-hand reports from members of this site match up with Derreck Jones' take on the match as I often find his commentary to be misleadingly biased.

Apparently Barnett did well, Bain not so. Cressa sounded like he did ok, and Mahon - given a more central role - seemed to have much more of an effect on the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To be fair Derek Jones is usually well balanced but to have Andy Doyle with his rose tinted specs alongside him really gets my goat.

Like you say, an early goal, all sounding promising but it was all too good to be true. I think there will be a lot of talk about how we should have won, how we had the better chances. Yeah, great. We lost AGAIN - to a second division team with good old Mike Jones popping up for the winner.

Football really is SH*T as times.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Say what you like about giving managers time and being patient, but all Barnes has really done since he came is make a pretty sterling case for getting the sack. If he's trying to prove what a crap manager he is, he is doing a great job.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes DIW and astonishingly, he's still a manager! Maybe he's going for the all-time take the piss record and seeing how many games he can lose and still remain in charge.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just got a message from Coops who went to the game. So for the benefit of those online at the moment, he basically sums up the game with: Unorganised, unmotivated and pathetic.

I'm sure he'll elaborate later on..

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
To be fair Derek Jones is usually well balanced but to have Andy Doyle with his rose tinted specs alongside him really gets my goat.

Yeah. Doyle isn't really qualified to commentate on football, clearly lacks any knowledge and just talks aimless, biased nonsense. TRSA is a pretty pointless organisation anyway.

Did you ever hear Chris Greenacre commentate on games towards the back of last season? I remember him saying our defeat at Elland Road was 'one of the greatest injustices [he'd] ever seen', or something to that effect. Was quite funny.

lol @ Coops. That should be an interesting read.

Player
Goodison
Another glorious result, surely Barnes must go?! Glad I decided not to go to this one. The main attraction of going was that I havn't been to Bury's ground before although if Bury don't get promoted it will be a league fixture next season anyway so i'll go then! I think it's fair to say that PJ as certainly found a way of taking the club in a new direction :roll:

evo_trfc

loosing to a league 2 side.

Cant even use the excuse we were playing thte reserves that was near enough our first team,

This is getting behond a joke now, We are a laughing stock of the football league,

I Blame the manager for turning a average league 1 squad into a mickey mouse pub team, Any self respecting bloke would walk away, But Barnes knows he will never ever get another coaching job as he cant ****ing manage!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Just seen the Barnes interview on SSN and am fuming. The man doesn't have a clue and has THE FULL BACKING of the chairman. How can you lose 10 of your first 14 games and have confidence in this man??? He spent all of tonight shouting aimlessly at the players tonight with Dumber by his side, turning his back cos they didn't respond to anything he might have said.

He still thinks he is good at this, we know otherwise. Some people just aren't cut out for the cut and thrust of football managemnt. He should do the decent thing and walk away because his reputation is sinking lower than Tranmere's.

His team are an abolsute disgrace to OUR club. We all care so much for our club and him and McAteer and Johnson, and this group of players are killing it.

It was a shambles tonight. First half we did ok, decent strike by Curran but the quality of play (from both teams) was so poor.

Curran missed a sitter of a header 2nd half which might have won the game. Btw, had we won 5-0 tonight I would still be calling for Barnes' head. He is taking us down quicker than the Titanic.

The claims that Barnes made when he arrived was that he didn't have a big budget so we might not have quality but we'd be organised and consistent. He couldn't have brought to the table any more the opposite. The team, and defence in particular, is a complete disaster zone, disorganised with consistency the only thing he's been true to his word on. We are consistently dreadful!

It was absymal. Poor quality. Some of the players are not fit to wear the shirt. Alan Mahon lives on past glories, he was awful yet again. John Welsh brings nothing whatsoever to midfield. Ash Taylor, as much as tries his best, is no centre back. We have no consistent score of goals. The only way is down I'm afriad people.

Johnson WILL NOT sack HIS man and Barnes is too stubborn to do the decent thing. Sonn be seeing derby games vs Vauxhalls at this rate.

SAVE OUR CLUB!!!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Nah, if things carry on as they are Barnes will be gone soon. If we lose on Monday I expect that will be it. I for one don't blame Barnes for walking away, it's not his fault we employed him and if it were me I know I wouldn't leave without being sacked.

Player
Goodison
I think 90 minutes of Barnes out chants live on sky sports are called for =D>

I know people will say get behind the team, but so far the fans generally have and the players havn't done so much as pull a finger out. "Barnes out" for 90 minutes (If he's still there).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On Player he mentioned quite a few times about the fans chanting before this game. He says it doesnt affect him and the team but it clearly does. I'm now at a point of desperation and dispair, so I think I'm just going to get my vocal cords ready for Monday. I can't take much more of this nonsense.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
this is getting too much of a joke.barnes is trying his best but the main problem is peter johnson.barnes says he got the backing of the chairman but i carnt see barnes and mcateer been at the club much longer.johnson has got to start listening to the fans.

we got the worst goal differnce in the football league.i do agree with fans that say the players dont give a toss its probley right.

i think the sooner peter johnson sells the club and gets a new buyer the sooner the better and if we do get someone else in please bring in someone that knows what they are doing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wasn't surprised Mike Jones got the winner, the script was written before the game for that to happen.
Did anyone see how Bain got on ? Will he play on Monday ?

To me, whilst Barnes can use the excuse of all the key players we lost, Kay, Chorley etc, he has more than had the chance to replace them.

I think McClaren is past it and struggles if people close him down, he isn't the player he was a couple of years ago. Similarly with Mahon, to give him a 3 year contract was ridiculous (when did we last do that on our budjet?, I think we only offered Kay a 2 year one to stay) - he is another one who to me isn't up to it. Broomes is a journeyman who finished last season at Crewe who didnt win in their last 10 games and went down. Welsh finished last season (ironically) on loan at Bury and didn't pull up any trees. Ricketts was released by Walsall and Carole by Brighton/Darlington.

Some big names at this level but to me just not up to itm which other teams have recognised - and for all the blame PJ gets (most of it deserved), he has backed JB to sign players who simply have not been good enough. That comes from the simple fact JB does not know the league. I'd rather have signed some up and coming non league players who have something to prove, there must be some out there!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Barnes has waited ten years to get another job so sadly wont quit and for some reason johnson is too stubborn to sack him which means we are on our way to league 2 with this clueless clown in charge.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I have to agree with Barnes that it probably doesn't help the team us chanting 'Barnes Out' throughout the game, even when we were cruising at 1-0 up. But when else can we make our point?

Yes I was chanting loudly to get rid of the man. He's turned us into a laughing stock. I also supported the players but they clearly don't care much for Barnes either, else these abject performances would not happen, week in week out.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Wasn't surprised Mike Jones got the winner, the script was written before the game for that to happen.
Did anyone see how Bain got on ? Will he play on Monday ?

To me, whilst Barnes can use the excuse of all the key players we lost, Kay, Chorley etc, he has more than had the chance to replace them.

I think McClaren is past it and struggles if people close him down, he isn't the player he was a couple of years ago. Similarly with Mahon, to give him a 3 year contract was ridiculous (when did we last do that on our budjet?, I think we only offered Kay a 2 year one to stay) - he is another one who to me isn't up to it. Broomes is a journeyman who finished last season at Crewe who didnt win in their last 10 games and went down. Welsh finished last season (ironically) on loan at Bury and didn't pull up any trees. Ricketts was released by Walsall and Carole by Brighton/Darlington.

Some big names at this level but to me just not up to itm which other teams have recognised - and for all the blame PJ gets (most of it deserved), he has backed JB to sign players who simply have not been good enough. That comes from the simple fact JB does not know the league. I'd rather have signed some up and coming non league players who have something to prove, there must be some out there!

Bain was rubbish apparently.

Mclaren looks exactly the same to me as he did a few years ago, except he doesn't have Jenno doing all the hard work for him this time around and he's been shown to be the average player he always was. Mostly agree with your assesment of our signings but that's how signings at this level work, Barnes has adopted the same approach that Ronnie found success with - taking other people's cast offs. I would also add that it's quite likely that Garnett has had a big say in our signings this season, since he's our scout and neither Barnes or Mcateer have any knowledge of football at this level.

I dunno though. I for one think we've got a fairly good League 1 squad. Much is made of the off-field leadership, and for good reason, but I think our cause would be helped by having a natural leader on the pitch too. Jenno, Kay and Chorley were good at keeping the team on its toes last year. Shuker, with his incessant moaning, is the closest thing we have to a vocal player at the moment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really wanted Bain to do something last night. He had a few chances from what I heard on the radio but his decision making let him down. I think I'm looking for a hero at the moment. Something to cling on to.. lol

But you can't pin too much on him right now. He's not really played and needs more games until we can judge him properly.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I just hope we get some more loaniee's in as they have been the best players so far!!!!