• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Buchanan

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Sky Sports are reporting that Buchanan has signed a two year deal with us. If true, we have managed to keep 4 of the 5 players we offered contracts to, which is some achievement when you consider the quality of the individuals involved and how uncompetitive we are in the wage market. Must say a lot about the spirit at the club at present.

I am also pleased that Buchs and Ash have been given two years and we have the option of an extra year on Robbo. This hopefully gives us a little more stability than in recent seasons.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Buchs still not confirmed on the OS. Wonder what the delay is? I hope all is well!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If true, I'd be amazed as I am delighted. Of the five offered new terms, I thought Buchanan was the most likely to be a target for other clubs. It speaks volumes for Ronnie's reputation within the club if we've kept him.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm glad he's re-signed, I'm sure he'll be on more money now. Not quite as astonished as bbtc, but pleased he's still here of course.

DIW

Player
Goodison
On Buchanan - is he really that good? He was deservedly player of the season but I think this was based on consistency rather than the spectacular.

He defended well, but attacking wise can't remember a great deal, apart from the wonder goal.

I'm glad he's signed on, but if he was that good surely there would have been loads of offers coming in.

merseymariner

Player
Nicky Henry
Much prefer defenders who are able to defend than have ability going forward. Part of an outstanding defence last season - deserves the deal.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It still doesn't seem to have been confirmed officially yet.

Much prefer defenders who are able to defend than have ability going forward. Part of an outstanding defence last season - deserves the deal.

Agree with this. There was talk of other L1 clubs approaching him, possibly a Championship club too, though no idea of the accuracy of these. He's a capable player at this level, not susceptible to injuries and a better defender than Zoum. Glad he's on board, if the deal is confirmed.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
By all accounts he turned down several oofers to sign for us would expect it announced next week.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Gone

2 year deal with PNE confirmed. Disappointing after he suggested he was staying, but not really surprising.

Pity we weren't brave enough to have him on a 2 year deal, but you win some, lose some. We had a very good season out of him - I think he surpassed all expectations from when we signed him.

Good luck to the lad.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Great shame as he had such a good season but thought we would do well to hang on to him. P.N.E. seem to be making great play about being our 'player of the season' - we should have all voted for somebody we wanted to go!

Agree that he was a real find and we got much more than expected, so yes wish him all the best and will watch his career with interest. Lets hope we unearth some more unlikely gems in the coming weeks.

Player
Backayogo
No loyalty again. Fine, go for more money but it looks like he has done the dirty on us. Anyway, for me Zoom is just as capable.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
As I've said, not a disaster, as we already have a perfectly capable left back on our books. We can bring in a cheaper sub for that position now and use whatever surplus $ we have left on another position.

Fair play to him PNE is a good move.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Disappointing, because until this week looked like he would sign up. However 12 months ago most of us would hardly have heard of David Buchanan, let alone expect he'd be our player of the year. It just shows there are good players out there.

Zoum has his good points, but I would hope some cover is recruited in the left-back position, to cover for any injury/suspension absence.

Player
Manager
John King
At least Zoum now has the opportunity to make the left back position his own: he has been unlucky in the last two seasons in having Cresswell and Buchanan ahead of him and deserves to be a regular at this level. He has also shown a degree of loyalty in staying with us despite a lack of regular football which is not matched by certain other players at this level.

It is interesting that Preston have focused attention on our squad in their attempts to build a promotion winning team. Welsh and Buchanan are both decent players but are they really finding the quality they will need to compete with Sheff Utd and Portsmouth ?

drwhoman

Fair comment RLC. Maybe it is money related. I see they have also signed Huntington the Yeovil captain and David Amoo from Liverpool. Clearly a new team being built. Ronnie is obvously disappointed. He felt that he had David 'in the bag' but maybe Welsh got in his ear. It will be interesting to see who RM comes up with. There seem to be a few half decent guys looking for a new gig. Can we afford them?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
At the time Welsh signed for Preston, I did say I thought he might not be the last of our squad to head to Deepdale. Sadly, I was right. I thought the earlier news might be too good to be true, knowing Buchanan's previous form.

At least Ronnie knows where he stands on all five of the out-of-contract players before May is out. We can now move on.

Player
Manager
John King
I have to say that Buchanan's behaviour in this little saga has disappointed me; indicating to both RM and the media that the contract with us would be signed, when in fact he (or his agent) was merely trying to screw more money out of Preston.

Still. at least we are left with players like Goody and Taylor who have shown club and supporters some respect.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's disappointing but not disasterous. Annoying as a manager trying to build a squad when these things happen but there's still plenty of time to shop around. Thre is very little loyalty left in football, but if he got offered more money, why wouldn't he go?

Player
Jimmy Harvey
According to our official site Ronnie believed the deal was done and Buchanen had agreed. The club sent a contract to Ireland for him to sign. He then decided to join PNE.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Believe it or not I believe Wallace is also heading to Deepdale.