• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Adkins permanent

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dawes won 1 in 10.
Nigel has won 2 in 10.

The worry will be if we get to say Christmas and we’re still in the bottom two. FGR will likely invest in January and it’s not easy to attract players when you’re in that sort of position. Or even if we got to say say Feb and we’ve still not improved. Woukd Palios wield the axe if Nigel still has over two years on his deal left?

Hopefully the clarity will bring better results

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm very surprised at the appointment for all the reasons that have already been outlined by others. It doesn't feel like there is a change of ownership imminent. Hoping that it all does work out for Adkins, but not at all confident.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'm satisfied with this. If Nigel's not the man, then he's not the man, but we need to put a brake on the constant change or we're more likely to see a repeat of 2014/15. We may still do, but at least this should guarantee some stability. A couple of years ago I wouldn't believe I'd be happy with 20th in L2 this season and an improvement next, but there it is...

Having previously praised the club's business model, Adkins today described the infrastructure and support that’s in place at the club as “top quality”. Which is encouraging to hear, and not least because it removes two more possible excuses he might have for eventual failure!

Although ‘he would say that wouldn’t he’, I’m not sure he would’ve done at either of his previous two clubs, including Hull, where he pulled them away from relegation and kept them secure in the following season before deciding himself not to renew his contract.

Anyway, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Like Ian, I'm OK with it for the simple reason I've toted him in the past. Not a great endorsement given his record so far. However I got what I wished for - so just hope things pick up for him now we have the certainty.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Having previously praised the club's business model, Adkins today described the infrastructure and support that’s in place at the club as “top quality”. Which is encouraging to hear, and not least because it removes two more possible excuses he might have for eventual failure!

Although ‘he would say that wouldn’t he’, I’m not sure he would’ve done at either of his previous two clubs, including Hull, where he pulled them away from relegation and kept them secure in the following season before deciding himself not to renew his contract.

Anyway, fingers crossed.
Having looked at the wording of his press release.
It is typically spin. And like other managers who are fans of the club etc. I believe he is just saying what most supporters would like to hear! And it has been written for him.

Why couldn't he say something like, we have been poor all season, but now I'm gonna do things differently, I hope that my appointment will give stability and regain confidence into the players and turn it around. My target is to retain our status in league two, and do my utmost to improve the results, the team and do the necessary if players and the staff are not with me.
We are working on targets in the January window, and have to do some business to improve the overall performance of the squad, some will go, but having some idea and availability of what I want, will hopefully achieve this.
No more bullshit, we have to do it on the pitch, as supporters, you deserve it, and I intend to give it.
The SWA has a role in our goal, get behind the lads, as you always do.

Or something like it!

Having looked at the wording of his press release.
It is typically spin. And like other managers who are fans of the club etc. I believe he is just saying what most supporters would like to hear! And it has been written for him.

Why couldn't he say something like, we have been poor all season, but now I'm gonna do things differently, I hope that my appointment will give stability and regain confidence into the players and turn it around. My target is to retain our status in league two, and do my utmost to improve the results, the team and do the necessary if players and the staff are not with me.
We are working on targets in the January window, and have to do some business to improve the overall performance of the squad, some will go, but having some idea and availability of what I want, will hopefully achieve this.
No more bullshit, we have to do it on the pitch, as supporters, you deserve it, and I intend to give it.
The SWA has a role in our goal, get behind the lads, as you always do.

Or something like it!

Adkins doesn’t need to lie or mislead. Yet now you’re telling us there’s a scriptwriter who, in Adkins’ name, put out a statement saying what supporters want to hear. But that it’s actually just spin. Ergo you’re saying the supporters want spin. That all makes sense!

Seriously, though, I suggest you listen to his interview (which was definitely him talking, and seemingly not reading a script either ;)), the overall gist of which actually isn’t much different to that of the speech you’ve just written. Apart from the typical bit of fan narcissism you’ve squeezed in (and which wouldn’t possibly be deemed spin had he said it…not!) and not throwing any unnecessary negativity towards a group he needs to rely on over the next couple of months.

Last edited:
Player
Goodison
I really hope this works, however the cynic in me is just seeing more 2014-15 parralels - an experienced manager to replace the inexperienced one, with a January splurge possibly promised. We will get to 50 players this season at this rate.

Positive me thinks the length of the deal will give him the ability and backing to sort things out, and whip the team into shape. I do think he needs to bring in someone external as a coach to support, nothing against Parkinson, but I don’t see what he offers, and we’ve gone backwards ever since he became more involved.

It is another u-turn appointment, fits Palios own definition of a failed manager and certainly not a development candidate. However I guess the advantage of being in charge is you can do what you want!

Palios has certainly now made his bed to lie in given the length of deal etc, here’s hoping we stabilise this year and next year it’s a promotion push (from league 2)… not that I believe that!

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Well i did think he was going to get it as its been so quiet on the managers front. But as you all have said the contract length is a surprise. He now has to get his whale music and all that get his fingers out of his bottom and do some hard work

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Now we have a clearer picture I'm hoping the management team will have a better plan moving forward. We need to try and get rid of some dead wood, strengthen in certain areas and start winning some games!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The interesting questions to be answered are will the coaching staff remain the same or will Adkins be allowed to bring in anyone else he wants if he wants. Also will we have a director of footbal/technical director going forward and if not why not
The 'Technical Director' is another idea which seems to have been in vogue for about six months and has now been quietly ditched.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another one of MP failed ideas that no-one is allowed or even available to question. Regarding the coaching staff, MP was speaking very positively about Danns the other week as he's on a learning experience etc.. Not sure what he thinks about the others but I can't see them going anywhere.

Last edited:

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Think with MP loads of it is pie in the sky has all those ideas and loads of them failed. The ones in Indonesia think this is part of them putting money in to the club on the investment side. And its only right they get something back for their money

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Think with MP loads of it is pie in the sky has all those ideas and loads of them failed. The ones in Indonesia think this is part of them putting money in to the club on the investment side. And its only right they get something back for their money
They bought part of the club that is what you get back. Some people are searching for gripes now. Adkins even more so than Mellon could not feasibly have a superior, fairly obvious why Dawes needed one.
As for Danns he's been here two minutes, no one knows his output or standing. I'd guess NA may let some coaches go when their contracts expire, there he again may wish to re-sign them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They bought part of the club that is what you get back. Some people are searching for gripes now. Adkins even more so than Mellon could not feasibly have a superior, fairly obvious why Dawes needed one.
As for Danns he's been here two minutes, no one knows his output or standing. I'd guess NA may let some coaches go when their contracts expire, there he again may wish to re-sign them.
A technical director/sporting director is not a superior and Vaughan was sporting director for a time when Mellon was manager

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A technical director/sporting director is not a superior and Vaughan was sporting director for a time when Mellon was manager
Yes, it was supposed to be a permanent structure, so there is no reason why it should suddenly be scrapped because Dawes has departed.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's a quiet day, so I'll post this. Before you read on, just glance at the previous posts in this thread - all full of doom and gloom.

When Nigel was given a contract, we were 23rd and only goal difference off the bottom of the EFL with just 10 points from 16 games. We now have 36 from 29. That means 26 points from our last 13 games or two per game. If we had averaged two points per game all season, we would have had 58 points from 29 games - top of the league! I think that is some feat. The fact we are still only in 17th position just shows how bad our start was.

Before you all have a go at me, I was equally surprised by the timing of the appointment and the length of the contract. I think we all were, but full marks to both Mark and Nigel.

Salfordwhite

Player
Michael Ricketts
It's a quiet day, so I'll post this. Before you read on, just glance at the previous posts in this thread - all full of doom and gloom.

When Nigel was given a contract, we were 23rd and only goal difference off the bottom of the EFL with just 10 points from 16 games. We now have 36 from 29. That means 26 points from our last 13 games or two per game. If we had averaged two points per game all season, we would have had 58 points from 29 games - top of the league! I think that is some feat. The fact we are still only in 17th position just shows how bad our start was.

Before you all have a go at me, I was equally surprised by the timing of the appointment and the length of the contract. I think we all were, but full marks to both Mark and Nigel.
Lets just hope Nigel doesn`t run out of energy..