• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

2023/24 Where will we finish?

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If daws can get a few performances like he got out of the team against grimsby a few years back yes it was a different team but if he can get a few games like it early Daws LoL it will make everybody calm down a little just wana be entertained

We‘ve upgraded the squad, although I doubt we’ve (yet) upgraded it by 17 points, which is how far off the playoffs we were last season. Still expecting more arrivals before the end of the window though.

Only time will tell if we’ve upgraded the manager. If we have (and that’s a tall order), and he can squeeze the max out of the squad, we might be able to challenge for a playoff place. If we haven’t, then we may end up no better than last season, and possibly worse.

So, anywhere from 6th to 15th for me! On that basis I’ll plump for the middle ground and say 10th.

…you do wonder if in the dressing room there could be too many voices….especially if Nigel comes down from the main stand to too and gives his views!!
I’d be deeply concerned if Adkins is anywhere near the dressing room on matchday. So too, I imagine, would Dawes!

If he hasn’t done so already, Dawes does need to impose his personality and authority on the dressing room, especially as players will know that the club itself feels he needs the support of an ex EPL manager, and is also assisted by an ex EPL player - a level of the game he’s never come close to reaching himself.

If he commands their respect and they all buy into him he’s got a chance. If so, it’ll then be interesting to see whether that unity will withstand the inevitable difficult spells we’ll encounter during the season.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We‘ve upgraded the squad, although I doubt we’ve (yet) upgraded it by 17 points, which is how far off the playoffs we were last season. Still expecting more arrivals before the end of the window though.

Only time will tell if we’ve upgraded the manager. If we have (and that’s a tall order), and he can squeeze the max out of the squad, we might be able to challenge for a playoff place. If we haven’t, then we may end up no better than last season, and possibly worse.

So, anywhere from 6th to 15th for me! On that basis I’ll plump for the middle ground and say 10th.

17 points is quite a gap and given the division has got stronger, we’ll do extremely well to be in any sort of play off contention, despite our squad additions.

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
17 points is quite a gap
It's a sizable gap indeed but imagine how much we would have eaten into that had we actually had goalscorers in the squad. We created chances, plenty of them.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It's a sizable gap indeed but imagine how much we would have eaten into that had we actually had goalscorers in the squad. We created chances, plenty of them.
Yes, good strikers can turn an average squad into a very good one. We did not have lots of talented players in 2018-19, but we did have Norwood's goals (and Mellon's leadership).

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
We just have to trust in Daws and the gang be patient and let Tranmere do what Tranmere does

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

Given that we sacked our manager and lost a lot of momentum towards the end of the season, I’m not surprised we finished well off the pace. When a team has nothing to play for, it’s hardly surprising that performances fall away and points are dropped.