• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

2023/24 Where will we finish?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not long to go now before the season starts. It will be my 66th as a Rovers fan. Even my support for Rovers now qualifies for a pension. ;)

What do we all think will happen this season? I’ve seen 6 promotions, 6 relegations and one demotion. So the odds are firmly in favour of us starting out in League Two.

Frankly, I agree with the bookies and think our likely position will be top half but outside the playoffs. If Dawesy does better in his first season, that would be a great achievement.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have no idea, largely because of Dawes' inexperience as a manager.

The squad is much better than last season, or even the season before, and should be good enough to challenge for the top seven. However, Dawes is an unknown quantity.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Dawes will probably be fine as he has a lot of help alongside him. If we can get our strikers firing, we could be looking at playoffs. If not, mid table.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The squad is better than last time but it'll depend whether we concede more goals, but score more.

Similar to last season for me - 12th. We're stronger, but so is the league.

Reactions: Boz

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
IF The keeper and Walker stay fit, and there is decent availability amongst key forwards, I think we'll finish top 6.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I am expecting better finish than last season. Play offs for me - doubt we have enough in midfield for automatics with so much money sloshing around.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I am surprised at our squad, I do think that we are better strengthened throughout.
However, as is most clubs, so I will be pleased if we are in contention, but I think it would be asking too much for a play off place.
I think we will finish just above mid table.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I am not sure that is always how it works. Too many cooks don't always make a better broth.
Yes I’ve thought this when I’ve been at friendlies and seen all our staff on the bench. You’ve got Dawes, Parky, Danns, Hodgey and Murphy. Plus the lad I went to school with who does the half time warm ups (unless hodgey takes them back over).

Listening to Palios last week, it made me think when he talked about the structure and how in the past firing the manager meant you lost a lot. If we don’t start the season well then I suspect Dawes and Parky would go, and Danns and Adkins are the longer term options to retain Palios policies on development etc. Hopefully that doesn’t happen but you do wonder if in the dressing room there could be too many voices….especially if Nigel comes down from the main stand to too and gives his views!!

Anyhow let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we don’t start the season well then I suspect Dawes and Parky would go, and Danns and Adkins are the longer term options to retain Palios policies on development et
I'd be very surprised if it all went wrong aka Mike Jackson style.

The team is decent, Dawes has managed the team before albeit different conditions but he's had a decent preseason with them and I think we should be a little more optimistic.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'd be very surprised if it all went wrong aka Mike Jackson style.

The team is decent, Dawes has managed the team before albeit different conditions but he's had a decent preseason with them and I think we should be a little more optimistic.
A lot will depend on the new strikers. If they don’t score either because they aren’t fit or the system doesn’t work then we’ll be no better than last season.
Having Morris obviously is more of a goal threat but I don’t think we’ll be as good defensively without the fullbacks. I’m optimistic - if we’re lucky with injuries our first choice 11 is decent. I’m just not sure on the 4-3-3 but time will tell

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The club did address the striker issue quite early on. I don't think it's possible it will be any worse than last season.

Player
Manager
John King
The squad of players we have is pretty good. However, I maintain that we simply don't know enough about Dawes at this stage to know how he will fare.

Considering the rubbish Mellon had to work with, I don't think last season's performance was that poor either, but that is another debate. The experience of 2014-15 tells us that it can certainly be much worse.

Last edited:

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Yes I’ve thought this when I’ve been at friendlies and seen all our staff on the bench. You’ve got Dawes, Parky, Danns, Hodgey and Murphy. Plus the lad I went to school with who does the half time warm ups (unless hodgey takes them back over).

Listening to Palios last week, it made me think when he talked about the structure and how in the past firing the manager meant you lost a lot. If we don’t start the season well then I suspect Dawes and Parky would go, and Danns and Adkins are the longer term options to retain Palios policies on development etc. Hopefully that doesn’t happen but you do wonder if in the dressing room there could be too many voices….especially if Nigel comes down from the main stand to too and gives his views!!

Anyhow let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.
If MP has put together a decent band of individuals in the management team, who can really gel as a team and there is good spirit amongst them, it could prosper and filter through to the dressing room.
Granted based results or staff prone to back biting can cause a split pdq.
I hope for the best.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
As long as we are entertaining and we score more than 1 or 2 goals a game just some fun then think about the final position at the end let's start positive

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Last season is history! And it cannot be that bad again.
We are looking for a fresh start, with a more experienced squad.
There is obviously questions about the manager, due to the lack of experience in the role.
The staff behind him should be a team with the responsibility of ensuring that the starting eleven are prepared for that game.
And the performance will reflect that aspect of preparedness.
Formation and tactics should be based on the opposition's strength.
And results will ultimately decide the outcome of the season.

How the manager comes across to the supporters, will be determined how we do on the pitch at Prenton Park.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's very hard to call. This squad is better overall than last seasons, though not universally; improved in goal & up front, about the same in midfield, but slightly weaker in defence. Probably also a few notches above the underperforming 21/22 squad, Context is important, as with the two promotions from the NL and some existing L2 teams like Doncaster getting greater financial backing, this is definitely a stronger league this year. My prediction is lower mid-table.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure the 21-22 squad underperformed. We finished two points outside the play offs and five off automatic promotion, despite the problems up front that we have had in the majority of recent seasons.