• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

1-0 Brentford

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Another hearty performance. The difference between relegation and survival will be decided by the frequency with which we can get maximum points from these tight games.

Thought we played ok, lots of effort. Curran and Gornell led the line very well, ITM didn't do anything. Midfield pretty non-descript, could do with a creative player in there at the expense of...someone. Taylor's fantastic in the air and he's young but I've never seen a "central midfielder" whose distribution is so poor; though neither Edds, Welsh or Mclaren have offered anything significant on a consistent basis. At least you notice Taylor. Thought the defence did fine, with Broomes particulaly impressive, for a change.

We look quite good on the counter at times but we need to learn to play direct attacking football without resorting to long ball. Everything bypasses the midfield.

Brentford had a few standout players. Dickson did well at left-back, and their big center half looked pretty good. Expected more from Bostock but he looked a threat.

Good result, clean sheet always welcomed. Fantastic goal by Curran, assisted cleverly by Welsh from a free kick.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report SonkORLY?, one of those games where the result is crucial. Would agree from games I've seen him play that Ash Taylor's distribution isn't his forte. It seems to partly stem from ambitious passes which don't come off. However, on balance he adds more than he detracts to the team imo.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
http://whitereview.co.uk/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1260051937&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

Match report is up on the site now. (link above)

Thought we battled extremely well. It wasn't particularly pretty but I don't expect many games will be while we fight at the bottom of the table. The determination to get the win was there for all to see and we wanted it more than them and scored from a clver free-kick, but could and should have scored another from a choice of good chances.

I take your point about Ash Taylor. I think he's doing really well in there, doing a far better job than McLaren did simply because he's more mobile and stronger in the air, which is something we lacked early on this season and probably needed in there.

I think, personally, his poor distribution comes about because he is trying a bit too hard sometimes. He tries the play the ball a bit quicker and is often just a split second too quick to the ball and miscues it or overhits it but his eye for a pass is good, like you all say, execution needs a bit of improving. But I'd definitely keep him in there.

We're not bottom any more! That's a positive, hopefully we can carry on upwardly mobile in the coming weeks \\:D/ SWA!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I disagree about Ash Taylor. I think he's doing a brilliant job for us, in the Gary Jones mould. Okay so Jones could pass it on the floor better, but a lot of what Ash is doing there is underestimated by some people. He's protecting the back four, not in the way players like Harrison and Jennings would run around endlessly, and not through diving in making tackles.. although of that we know he is capable. What Ash does really well, as he's clearly being asked to by a canny manager, is making interceptions and denying the opposition certain angles of attack. Kay played the role some of the time for Moore (although less often than the more advanced role) and if memory serves, Loran did under Mathias when converted to the middle.

Other things that Taylor gives us in the middle is some height(!) and some pace, he is surprisingly mobile for a tall lad, and it's the more dynamic side to his game that reminds me a little of Tyrone's brief conversion to the middle of the park. Lastly and again this is a subtle thing that some will miss, is that he drops in to the gaps left if a full back bombs on and the centre back is pulled wide. This helps us to keep shape while being counter attacked and makes us much tougher to beat than previously. In short I think he's doing great.

Thomas Moore is out of form at the moment, putting in mediocre performances and we know he has been capable of better, but certainly no reason to get on his back. At the end of the day strikers go through scoring gluts and scoring droughts, confidence playing a large part. He's a class finisher on his day and although I can see why Les dropped him it's also clear why Ian is now being selected again. If he is sold to Ronnie's Rotherham in the new year it will diminish us, but I have confidence that if it's Les in charge by that time that any replacement would strengthen us in other areas.

Despite not setting the scoring charts on fire I do think we're strong in the forwards department. Curran's doing well and I'm am really impressed with Gornell, it's amazing how our youth keeps churning out great finds like these lads and this gives me real hope when it comes to survival.

Getting around to the match.. diabolical referee (as usual) who clearly thought that tackle was something relating to fishing, frequently penalising clean challenges with cards yet being oblivious to more serious fouls (by both sides).

We bossed the game, and deserved to win. Couple of heart in mouth moments courtesy of the back four, but the team spirit is clearly returning as they covered each other and chased back even if initially beaten, there was no giving up on lost causes, in fact there was no such thing as a lost cause and I'm loving that attitude being shown.

Three man midfield of Welsh, Ash Taylor and Edds really did outstanding and I don't think I can praise them enough. A manful performance when compared to some of the schoolboy stuff under Barnes, it's simply worlds apart.

The move from the free kick that gaves us what proved the winning goal, was obviously something practised on the training ground,.. and what impressed me most was the speed with which it was carried out, sometimes set plays can be a bit pedestrian but this was razor sharp, quick and deadly. Probably a fair bet that The Chief had a hand in developing it, behind the scenes, so if that's the case a big thank you to big Wayne for that one!

The great escape continues. You could tell that the Tranmere supporters at Prenton Park yesterday were delighted by the performance and of course the result. Everyone that turned up on a freezing cold, wet winter afternoon deserves that magical atmosphere that the last 10 minutes had. Felt like a cup game and I cannot thank Les Parry enough for bringing back the Tranmere Rovers that we know and love.

Player
Goodison
A very good, solid, spirited team performance which could have easily been 2 or 3 nil. Special praise for me goes to Bakayogo, Logan and Gornell who did not put a foot wrong all game. I also thought Ash Taylor dominated the midfield although his passing is a bit erratic at times to say the least (Hopefully it will improve with experience), Goodison was also inspirational at the back considering he can't really jump and probably isn't even half fit. Everyone played well perhaps with the exception Moore who's mind seems to be elsewhere. The ref was the worst ref i've since since Gavin Ward - absolutely abysmal - 0/10 would be too higher mark. We've now got a good team spirit and a fabolous work ethic - we're more then capable of staying up this season.

Ratings:
Daniels: 8
Logan: 9
Broomes: 8
Goodison: 8
Bakayogo: 9
Edds: 7
Taylor: 8
Welsh:8
Thomas-Moore: 6
Curran: 8
Gornell: 9

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yep - not the prettiest, but they are never going to be. But the fight was there. It's been a while since I've seen that passion and determination, but it was there and it was great to see. Full credit to the backroom staff who have ignited the spark again.

Gornell and Curran are working extremely hard in there and are getting the rewards, well played to them. Taylor is proving a hit in midfield. Yes, his passes can sometimes be a little wayward, but his positioning, work-rate, tackling and all round play are much better than any other midfielder we have. Keep it up lads, it's great to see.

Just shows, if you put the effort in, you get the rewards.
Also was great to see a well worked set piece leading to the goal. That in itself is a rare sight at Prenton Park.

Keep fighting lads!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
i thought a decnt performance which we could have won by more but there keeper roduced some good saves and we had a few near misses. Dont remember daniels having to make too many saves although there were a few near misses.

i would agree about the ref he was truly awful.