• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Fulham after Drysdale and he's been invited to train with them?
Already done a training stint with B'ham apparently.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ridiculous thing about Dawson is that he's always had baggage, and MM must have known that when he signed him.
So what's changed? As Boz suggests, he must have another blot on his CV.
Prior to Tollitt, pre his injury, he at least got us leaning out of our seats.
Be nice if he set the place alight up in North East.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fulham after Drysdale and he's been invited to train with them?
Already done a training stint with B'ham apparently.
It would be great seeing him get a home game for us. If he's that good, arguably he deserves the opportunity here. Can't blame younger players for moving on, if they're not getting playing time. They might as well take the better money on offer at FL clubs.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It would be daft to think we need wingers for a 442 and then loan one of them out. :rolleyes: Sorry, I just don't get it. What was the point of signing Dawson, he's never been given a decent run in the side.
Dawson is a complete waste of time and the manager is right to move him on in my view. If you take a look at his CV he has strung clubs along for his whole career.

Mellon may have got many things wrong this season, but he is right on this issue.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
But surely he came with that baggage when he signed him?!

Player
Manager
John King
But surely he came with that baggage when he signed him?!
Yes, he saw us coming there is no doubt about that.

Play well on loan for a couple of weeks, get a long term contract and then sit on your backside. That is his mantra.

Player
Manager
John King
It would be great seeing him get a home game for us. If he's that good, arguably he deserves the opportunity here. Can't blame younger players for moving on, if they're not getting playing time. They might as well take the better money on offer at FL clubs.
Not really a fair assessment of the situation, as Championship clubs can afford to pay youngsters big wages to sit in the stands, which we can't. However much potential he has, I doubt Drysdale will be waltzing straight into Fulham's first team.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The point I was making is that if they are getting playing time, then there are some merits in staying with Rovers. If they're not, then might as well get the better pay packet and better quality splinters in your backside sitting it out at a FL club. After the way Gumbs was ditched after a decent showing at Maidenhead to make way for a partially fit McEveley, wouldn't blame any young player for moving on.

Player
Manager
John King
After the way Gumbs was ditched after a decent showing at Maidenhead to make way for a partially fit McEveley, wouldn't blame any young player for moving on.

Duggan and Gumbs have already been given a fair amount of game time this season and will get more as it progresses, Pilling too. I doubt many youngsters expect to play 46 games in their first full season, nor would it necessarily be good for their development if they did.

Mellon has already given youngsters more opportunities than his two predecessors did.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just listened to Dawson's interview at Darlington. Thanks Micky for letting him go and says how he works and trains hard to be the best player he can be and play at the highest level.

Also says its every players dream to play at Wembley which was ironic given mangan playing wide in the play off final last season, and that he's and out and out wide man.

Bizarre but there you go.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Dawson is yet another poor signing from Micky, has made a career out of not playing football and getting paid for it, very poor decision to sign him. As for Drysdale no doubt he will go into the youth set up at Fulham if he goes there but he really should be in consideration for our first team squad to give him some encouragement to stay a bit longer

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Duggan and Gumbs have already been given a fair amount of game time this season and will get more as it progresses, Pilling too. I doubt many youngsters expect to play 46 games in their first full season, nor would it necessarily be good for their development if they did.

Mellon has already given youngsters more opportunities than his two predecessors did.
Last season Micky might have persisted with Gumbs after his performance at Maidenhead. We were level at the time of his substitution and lost. McEveley was brought straight back for Ebsfleet and could have cost us the game with his rash challenge. MM was fairly equivocal when asked about Gumbs playing in the pre-match interview, I suspect he won't.

Playing 46 games is more likely to be beneficial for their development than not playing at all. There is a sensible middle ground which would see them
regularly on the bench and getting some match time.

Player
Manager
John King
Last season Micky might have persisted with Gumbs after his performance at Maidenhead. We were level at the time of his substitution and lost. McEveley was brought straight back for Ebsfleet and could have cost us the game with his rash challenge. MM was fairly equivocal when asked about Gumbs playing in the pre-match interview, I suspect he won't.

Playing 46 games is more likely to be beneficial for their development than not playing at all. There is a sensible middle ground which would see them
regularly on the bench and getting some match time.
I did not agree with Gumbs being dropped at Ebbsfleet, but that was just one game. Mellon has already given opportunities to the players you mention and very few, if any, managers will play first/second year kids every week.

If you factor in his support for Stockton and Kirby last season, Mellon has given more support to young players than most of his recent predecessors, which is quite surprising (in a positive sense) given the pressure he and the players are under.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Which is exactly what has been happening.
Not so. We didn't have any defender on the bench last week. Duggan hasn't featured since it was decided Buxton was a better wing-back. Drysdale hasn't featured in the non-match day squad warm-ups that I've noticed. Even Dawson's made those.

Player
Manager
John King
Duggan and gumbs have been well involved this season. I am satisfied that Mellon is allowing the youngsters to develop. I think your expectations are completely unrealistic, particularly given our struggles this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Duggan and gumbs have regularly been on the bench and have always been in the matchday squad. Pilling has been on the bench every game.
It would be odd if we didn't have a sub keeper on the bench...though only a matter of time before MM turns to Nixon ;)

If you look at our bench this season, Duggan and Gumbs have rarely, if ever, made the bench, even in games like Ebbsfleet when we were crying out for a spare defender.

Last season in a game involving 7 Rovers youngsters, we won 0-1 against a near full strength Maidstone. It certainly demonstated that the youngsters could hold their own at this level. Given the lack of money available, the funds used for McEveley could have been diverted to where they could have been better used for example winger/wing-back. Gumbs made his first appearance nearly 3 years ago so is not totally wet behind the ears.

Player
Manager
John King
Duggan and gumbs have not 'rarely' been used at all. They have been on the bench for half the games, in the squad for all of them. Duggan has started four matches, gumbs one. Given the pressure we are under they have been involved far more than I, or many other people, expected. It is unrealistic to expect them to be regulars in our current circumstances. Added to which, you can question whether duggan was actually good enough in the games he played. I think you are coming out with unreasonable nonsense quite frankly.