• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting that McEveley mentions that the SPL is basically championship standard. Not sure I agree with that although he'll have a better idea than me!

For that reason it's arguably quite a good signing on paper. Micky had been chasing him for a while and u do wonder if league clubs would have wanted him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It will be interesting to see how McEveley does. The Sheffield United supporters don't rate him at all and seem to think we have signed another Higdon or (injury-wise) Wallace. However, there is a big gulf between the Championship / top of league One and the Conference. I just hope that his attitude is ok, unlike Higdon.

There is no way the SPL is the same standard as the Championship though !

drwhoman

Agree - the top few teams may be Championship but the rest.... See how Stockton does. I see he has been joined by Connor Randell from Liverpool on a season loan.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I share the general view that the strength of the SPL has been overstated by our new signing. McEveley has played fairly regularly at Ross County, so not too worried about fitness. How good he is we're about to find out. I wouldn't rule out further addition(s) to our defence during the course of the season though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, regarding Stockton, I think shooting up from NL to SPL after one decent season says a hell of a lot about the SPL.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Squad numbers are out. You can't always read too much from them, but numbers one to eleven seem to indicate a 5-3-2 formation with the usual suspects in defence, Jennings, Harris and Tollitt in midfield, and Cook and Norwood upfront. Alabi has the 12 shirt. Hughes and Norburn have higher numbers. Wallace keeps number 38, which makes you wonder when if ever he'll ever come back into the side. Clearly Tollitt won't feature on Saturday, but I wouldn't be surprised if the other ten do.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Excellent signing at this level and we really should be all set for the season now.
Agreed, Ian. The clip shows JM is confident on the ball, has good awareness and can pass accurately. Those skills he will still have. All that worries me is that he has put on a lot of weight, which might slow him down, but he should be more than capable at our level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky saying on the radio that we've spent all our playing budget. A bit surprised to hear that. In terms of cost, most of the players brought in or extending their contracts would be on a decent rate. Should we be concerned that in the event of either significant injuries or some other problem arising, that there won't be the funds available to address that? Or is the current squad depth and versatility able to cover most likely difficulties the season can throw at us?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Micky saying on the radio that we've spent all our playing budget. A bit surprised to hear that. In terms of cost, most of the players brought in or extending their contracts would be on a decent rate. Should we be concerned that in the event of either significant injuries or some other problem arising, that there won't be the funds available to address that? Or is the current squad depth and versatility able to cover most likely difficulties the season can throw at us?
1. Yes and 2. No.

I too am surprised. Presumably we may see the odd player sold or more likely loaned out to release more funds. However, if we have an injury list like last season, MM would have to ask MP for more money or play some of the youngsters. It's not as if we've a full squad to start the season. Tollitt, Kirby and Wallace are still out.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Transfer deadline day. Not exactly sure how this affects us as national league but always an interesting day - some crazy money being spent.

Tom Davies who was linked with us signs for Coventry on a 2 year deal from Pompey.

Would be good if we could ship out Dawson. Can't see anyone else leaving at the moment unless a silly bid for someone like a Cook came in from a league club. Let's hope not.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think it'll be a fairly quiet day at the Rovers. Like an Arsenal fan said, for everyone else its transfer deadline day, for Arsenal its a Thursday. Haha..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky confirmed pre match that Kirby has started running and Tollit training with the squad but still some time away from being available.

Wallace is having a knee operation so his recovery will be put back (again). Why we signed him is beyond me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Even if this operation is a success, Wallace would be unlikely to feature until next year. At a time when we have run out of funds to strengthen the squad, that 18 month deal we gave him, even if apparently on a low wage, does not look like good business now.

Have to feel sorry for the player too. Presume he delayed having this op in the hope things would resolve without surgery. Presume if this one unsuccessful that will be the end of his football career.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Wallace is finished. We took a chance on him but it's not worked out. Sadly the guy is just too injury prone.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I feel sorry for Wallace. I still remember the tackle where he got injured overstretching for the ball, in the FA Cup against Chesterfield. Incredible to think that one misjudgement at a young age has wrecked his whole career.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Absolutely. I think he's a really good midfielder. To have his quality at this level is a real bonus, very frustrating for both club and player.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Wallace was just showing his old self before injured again pre Wembley.
With hindsight, keep Stephenson and don't sign Alabi?

Player
aldo
We paid for stephenson . And annoying as it is we are gonna have to pay for alibi to . Wat a joke we cant aafford to make mistakes like this . When the club has no money

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wallace was just showing his old self before injured again pre Wembley.
With hindsight, keep Stephenson and don't sign Alabi?
I don't think Stephenson was given a fair chance by Micky. However Alabi is a proven striker at this level, so no. However, we've got to accept that he's a different type of forward to Cook/Stockton and play to his strengths.