• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Todays signings

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Tony warner on loan till end of the season, michael kay from sunderland, aliyu loan extended, and mchrystal from derry. Opinions

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
warner not played much in recent years it will be interesting to see what shape hes in not heard of kay only played in the conference and hope mccrystal is better than the recent players weve got from ireland.

drwhoman

SIGNINGS

Generally feeling positive about the signings. Warner is a highly experienced goalie who should be able to control things around the penalty area while Kay seems to have a good pedigree. First reaction to McCrystal is that I hope we only paid his boat fare (in reality I suspect he will be getting widgets) but he does have some league experience and it may be that this is an opportunity for him to get back into the English game (hope he offers more than Morrow anyway!). Extending the Elford loan seems sensible - he has got something going for him if a bit lightweight. Keeps the relationship with West Brom as well. Jennings has been a bit quieter lately - do people still think he will go for a decent sum in this window?

Player
Liam Palmer
In Warner, Les has gone for experience rather than promise - not too disappointed with this. Between him and Collister I think we're OK in the keeping department now. A bit concerned that he has played very few top team games since 2005-06.

McChrystal - been around a bit, a bit older than some of our recruits, apparently big, strong and a good leader. Obvious centre-half if Broomes is injured, Goodison suspended. It's obvious Wood is completely out of the frame now.

Aliyu - worth a punt until the end of the season. Looks a handful with the odd trick. Always an option to replace Jennings on the left if/when he goes.

Kay - Emergency cover for Blanchard at right-back, assuming Cathalina is out for a bit. Hasn't played any Football League games.

Does this mean Wootton has gone back to Manc U?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Warner is 36, but he's got a lot of experience. He may have played for Scunthorpe this season but I think it was only 2 games. He's played maybe a handful of goals in the last few seasons so he may be a little rusty. Might take a few games to settle in but I think he'll be fine when he does.

It will be interesting to see Mark McChrystal in the centre with Goodison, and as he's on a 6-month contract, he might form a good defensive partnership. Michael Kay slotting into right back for a month to cover injured players. Can't be any worse than what's already there I suppose!

TT64 - I'm assuming with the defensive singings, Wooton has gone back.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Warner has got to be an improvement on Nielsen, though lack of recent match practice may be an issue.

McChrystal had been lined up for a few months. Wootton has gone back, which is a shame, decent central defender. I hope Ash is given a few games in the centre of defence, where he's better suited than in midfield.

Kay. Sounds like another panic signing. Cathalina out for a bit, Max Blanchard for 6 weeks, but a lad with no league experience at all isn't the answer imo. Did Broomes get a one or three game ban?

Alliyu. prepared to battle, signs of skill, happy he's around for a bit longer

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
broomes got a 1 game ban boz, dont forget ryan shotton had no league experience when he signed on loan for us and did well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bigmart, neither did Liam Darville or Ben Gordon have much, if any league experience, before coming to us on loan and they didn't set the world alight. However, I hope to be proved wrong.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
ben gordon gone to scunthorpe on loan for the rest of the season may have improved like sordell has.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sordell showed glimpses of being a decent player when loaned to us, sadly Ben Gordon did not. However, read that he'd done very well this season, when on loan to a Scots side, I think Kilmarnock. Aside from Ryan Shotton, can't remember any recent outfield loanees making a consistently positive impact with Tranmere.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Warner on paper looks a decent signing, although there must be issues over his fitness. Let's just hope he's not another Steve Wilson ! It seems from the website that he is actually on a permanent six month contract ?

I am pleased about Alliyu staying on, but losing Wootton is a blow.

I have to say that the other two signings don't look at all inspiring, and the right back position now looks a real problem area, at least until Broomes is available again.

Am I the only one who thinks it was daft for Blanchard to be playing a meaningless friendly and risk injury when Cathalina was already out for an extended period and we had no real cover ?

drwhoman

NEW PLAYERS

The official website says that Kay is an England Under 17 international and has played in all Sunderland's reserve games this season to he may be their right back equivalent of Stephen Darby at Liverpool who I think is also out on loan at a Div One club - Swindon?. A decent player but maybe not a world beater. Not a muppet certainly. Still we will see!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Kay - not surprised. We need a right back - just someone to make up the numbers I suppose. Hopefully another Shotton.

McChrystal - another 'risk' from Ireland, i.e. Morrow plus that other guy who did nothing (O'Callaghan?). Although probably isnt on much money so may not me much of a gamble. Nice to hear we'll have someone vocal in the side though.

Warner - was surprised by this one. His fitness must be a big issue and i have seen make a few clangers over the years. Hopefully I am proved wrong but I hope Les hasnt gone and signed another injury prone keeper after Nielsen.

West Brom lad - pleased with that. Did well against Carlisle.

Shame Wottoon went back as he wanted to stay

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think we should worry to much about Warner's fitness. He's only the GK, they go on well into their 40's! Just ask Eric :)

Player
Goodison
I'm happy we've signed Warner as he is definetly experienced, whether he is any good only time will tell! As for Kay, I have some doubts over his attitude as he turned down an extended loan deal at Gateshead because he would prefer to play reserve team football - that kind of attitude stinks!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/9219766.stm

We do need a right back due to injuries though so hopefully he will do ok, it's a shame we can't get Shotton though. As for McChrystal, I'm happy we've now got four permanent centre backs but Parry's Irish exports have been pretty useless so far, so hopefully McChrystal will buck the trend.

I think Broomes got a three match ban as it was a straight red, I think Wooton has also gone back to Manchester United - but from what I've seen of him he isn't much of a loss.

If Blanchard is out for 6 weeks that is a major blow as he's been pretty consistent this season, and can play in several positions.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
broomes was banned for 1 game and will play centre half tomorrow.

Player
Goodison
Why is he only banned for one game? I thought a straight red was an automatic 3 match ban and you got a one match ban for 2 yellows. If he does play I hope he doesn't resort to rugby tackling again!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That's what I thought. Well, you learn something new every day!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think a 3 game ban is only for violent conduct