• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stocko 0-3 Tranmere

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
And now ya gonna believe us
And now ya gonna believe us
And now ya gonna belieeeeeeve uuuuuuuuuus

The Whites are stayin up.

Foz

Player
Terry Gornell

Great result :cool: I hope les stays next season. Seems to me we need to try and keep some of these loan players. Gulasci & Robinson, Logan & Labadie sound like they are key men!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yesssssssssss! You beauty.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
thank you GOD !
Mac and barnes hold your head low when in public from now on!
briil result

DIW

Player
Goodison
Yes a seriously cracking afternoon. Great performance form the lads. Seems fitting that Goodison and ITM should get a goal each as they have played well in general all season. Special mention of course goes to Wycombe - many thanks boys!!!!!!!

Support along 2 sides of the ground filled with Rovers fans was outstanding. Only sour note for me was the snapping of the cross bar at the end. Utterly pointless and moronic behaviour.

Well done Les and the team. The dark days of Barnes seem a long way away now. and there were times when I thought we had no chance, but we did it....just.

Tom

Wow what a day, nackered now. First half I don't think our performance was great but that doesn't matter now we got 3 goals and won in style, goals from other grounds coming out got great celebrations too ha ha there support was (perhaps unsurprisingly) a joke. Brilliant result brilliant survival now to see some players contracts renewed, possibly a manager (I'm undecided) and a few new faces ready to properly push on next season? just wow, well done lads...

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
30957_384054612100_708797100_4418396_3928083_n.jpg

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An incredible day, even though I didn't know what the hell was going on in the other games for most of the afternoon. I must upgrade my steam-powered mobile !

Best chant of the day came ten minutes from the end, 'Are you watching
Johnny Barnes ??!!'

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great day at the end of an up and down season. I think we were nervy in the first half, Stockport had a probably the better of the chances, until Goodi calmed the nerves with a decent finish. Stockport started the second half quite strongly but ITM was on hand to finish off a decent cross and from thereon in, it was a matter of what was happening elsewhere. Thanks Wycombe!!!

Would totally agree with DIWs comments about snapping the crossbar. I thought that the way we were given extra tickets and generally friendly approach of the stewards and home fans was good. I genuinely hope that the football league approve the new consortium and that Stockport are still going in L2 next season.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Yeah, Stocko are the second nicest club in the league, Yeovil will always win that accolade. Hope they do ok next year and above all keep going.

Don't think crossbar was snapped on purpose, just overexcited kids hanging off it then it gave way. As long as the club pays for it (we really should) it hopefully won't be a big deal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The lads started the game quite nervously, and that continued for most of the first half. Instead of playing it on the floor, there were too many long balls and that suited Stockport who like to play that way. We were better than that, and we put our foot on the game more in the second half.

I never expected to win 3-0 so I'm absolutely delighted with the result and with the squad who didn't let us down.

The SWA were magnificant throughout the game.

Stockport were pretty poor really. They had very little to show up front with Gulasci being a spectator for most of the game and finishing the season on -60 goal difference shows the have lots of work to do in the summer. Good luck to them in div 2 but congrats to all involved at Tranmere.

Such relief when that final whistle went.

We must now regroup and start a fresh for next season. Have a clear out and try and get some decent players in. It'll be sad to see Logan and Labadie leave as I think they have been great additions to the squad.

We should try and sign Labadie. He would get games in div 1 which he seems to enjoy and he has an eye for goal. I think he could get 10+ a season, not sure how viable this is. Surely better than sitting in West Brom's reserves for another year.

Isn't it a shame we don't have someone of Robinson's quality up front either. He certainly makes a difference and is a massive jump in quality compared to Curran, Gornell etc..

I think Les will be offered the job after this. Onwards and upwards!!
SWA!!!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was watching the crossbar incident and it did seem to me that it was deliberately broken, which did tarnish an otherwise perfect day for me. The downside of having 3,000 away fans is that the numpties are bound to turn up.

I agree with the comments about Stockport. When the elation of the win subsided, I actually felt extremely sorry for them. It was obvious that a number of their players were not really even profesional standard, let alone League One, and their fans have been watching performances of that standard for about six months now. I hope the 2015 consortium is successful, as I have always thought they were probably the closest of all clubs to ourselves in terms of fanbase, history etc.

Agree with Ian that Les's appointment needs to be made quickly, so that we can rebuild and avoid the mess of last season, getting to August with no recognised centre backs, playing kids and loanees in key positins etc.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Don't wanna spoil next season for anyone but...

Best case scenario: Parry has the job. Philpotts will recommend a load of average players since we can't afford any better, Garno and Chief will continue to do training, Les will continue to go "err...4-3-3, work really hard for me lads" a few mins before every game and receive plaudits because, after all, he's 'just a physio'. We finish in a similar position.

Worst case scenario: Parry has the job. Philpotts will recommend a load of average players since we can't afford any better, Garno and Chief will continue to do training, Les will continue to go "err...4-3-3, work really hard for me lads" a few mins before every game and receive plaudits because, after all, he's 'just a physio'. However we're bottom by January and Parry is sacked.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Orly, let me try to rose tint your glasses a little.

Les IS a very intelligent man, anyone who has read his column in the programme for the last 15 years will tell you that. You can't be that funny that often without something upstairs. He does also have a Phd, so unless you also have a degree/masters/doctorate I think it's pretty far from the mark to portray him as a bumbling fool with only one plan.

Chief has more football experience than you can shake a stick at, and as I understand it has aspirations to one day be a manager himself. He is the one with FA/UEFA qualificiations and again i think you're underestimating his experience and ability to think creatively. Garno's heart is in exactly the right place and rounds off the team nicely.

The best case scenario must be: Our young players continue to develop and become real stars at this level, Taylor in particular. ZoumZoum puts pen to paper on another year, something made likely with the current management team continuing. We uncover a few more little gems either from youth or non league and surpass all expectations, winning game after game. Les recieves manager of the month award, we are cursed for a month, suffer a dip in form but bounce back and go on to win the league. A Premier League team buy Taylor for a couple of million, the debt to Johnson is paid off in part and TRFC becomes an attactive purchase to a new multi millionaire owner.

That's the best case, isn't it??? Can't see it happening but dream on dreamer!!!!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
You overestimate the degree to which writing skills and a degree in sports injuries are important qualities in a professional football manager. They are, of course, important in journalism and physiotheraphy. Please, however desperate your argument, don't resort to putting words into my mouth - I have never ever said Les was a "bumbling fool" nor have I ever implied he generally lacks intelligence.

You also overestimate the likelyhood that this current crop of young players, all of whom - Taylor aside - have failed to make an impact this season in a very poor team and probably won't be offered new contracts, will suddenly "become real stars at this level". Taylor looks good alongside Goodi and is a fairly average central midfielder at this level, which immedately makes him more effective than Mclaren and Edds, who probably don't reach this benchmark. But £5 million? lol...I wish :)

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Echo most of what has already been said, morons on the crossbar spoiled the day somewhat at the end. Fine, celebrate and the pitch invasion was understandable, but the people at Stockport were great today and it's them people who have to clear the mess and pay for the goalposts. Few people tarnished our reputation and hopefully the club will pay for any damage although it should be the idiots who did it who should cough up.

Right, negatives out of the way...

Great support for the team throughout the game. Very vocal and it was great to fill 2 sides of the ground.

After a nervy start, we really settled down once Goodi powered hom the first goal and loved the air guitar celebration! If I ever score a goal I may copy that :lol:

Second goal was very good, although I didn't/couldn't see the ball go into the goal. It did I presume! Bas held it up, Zoom played a great cross and ITM finished it (I presume haha). Missed it on the Football League show too so will have to catch the iplayer soon.

Third goal was a sign of just how bad Stockport are as a football team. Felt sorry for the goalkeeper and their fans. Pretty abysmal but I think it was a young kid in goal and it can't be doing him any favours playing in team as bad as they are.

Well done Les and the boys. Lets build for next season and if Les gets the job, I'm right behind him. He's done a great job and although probably not my first choice to take us forward, I'd be much more confident with him in charge than Dumb and Dumber. At least he'll get 100% effort from the players and won't accept mediocrity which is what we had to put up with in the ealry stages of this season.

SWA =D>

Tom

Ha ha, I missed Goddisons goal was standing in the side stand and saw the ball come to him then he went to hit it my view was covered by about 100 fans then the elation ha ha

After waking up considerably less tired than I was yesterday it really waws a great day out so glad I could go good performance form the boys (eventually) and now it's time to build :p

Foz

Player
Terry Gornell

Sonkorly given our financial situation is keeping Les not the only sensible option. He is effectively doing 2 jobs (pretty well) for the cost of one wage?

I think we should just stick to using the loan market looking for quality international teenagers/youngsters like we have this year (Gulasci, Logan, Sordell, Daniels, Labadie) seems to work pretty well and it means we only need to make small wage contribution.

Philpotts the scout seems to have done ok in terms of transfers to me. Most of our players we have signed have been decent i think.