• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Zola signs contract extension.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Calvin Zola today has signed a contract extension to be with the club until June 2009. I think he has potential so I am pleased but hope he can steer clear of his injuries.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I hope the club's managed to get him for as low wages as possible, since he's come to the club he's barely been available for selection for one reason after another. He's got the physical size as well as surprisingly fast pace to be an imposing centre forward but as I've said before he is completely lacking in awareness and reaction times. Ronnie was unsatisfied with his positional play and in the brief time Calvin was getting fit they apparently worked on that with him. It remains to be seen, after this new injury, if he's improved at all in that regard. I'm not expecting he will have and the decision to sign him, I guess, is a weighing up of how much potential he has and how cheap his wages are, and he's signed because cheapness won out.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Someone please advise what he has actually done to deserve a new contract? I can't believe it really. His first season he didn't have a visa was sent home and missed 6 months, got a new contract. This time, he's been injured most of the time and gets a new contract!

And when he has played, barn door, cows backside, banjos spring to mind. I don't care how cheap he is, if he gets a new contract he's gotta earn it. Yes he has probably got lots of potential, but didnt Paul brown have lots of potential... No contract for him...

Player
Morrisey
I think that the only way to see how good he really is is to see him have a really good run out in the first team. However, he has to earn that and if he is not playing then he will not be able to earn his place by scoring in the reserves. I honestly cannot see him playing for more than six weeks before he is suspended or injured again. I would have prefered to get someone else in instead of him. The only reason I can see why this contract deal will work is if the club has cut his wages which will allow RM to sign another player.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I share the concerns above. He's never really lived up to his early promise at Newcastle and is always injured. If he'd wanted to move on at the end of the season, I wouldn't have been too upset.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What about us having a small squad? Without trying to sound to cruel, if we didn't give him a new contract, that's another player down! I'd say they offered a new contract on the basis of having a small squad and not on the basis of him living up to his potential as for the reasons highlighted above. Then again, he's no use to us injured!

B

Banana Army

Its not like he'd be leaving tomorrow. There would be plenty of opportunities at the end of the season , when his contract is up to sign a new CF. The squad size would have had nothing to do with it IMO.

The reason i believe he must have been offered one, is due to other clubs showing interest. THeres no other feasible reason why we would offer him one.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Maybe there are although not many clubs could have had a chance to have a look at him. I think Ronnie thinks we really have a star here... He's always talking him up in his press conferences. Ronnie has seen him in training and maybe he is someone who could really turn good if and when he shakes these injuries off.