• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

VAR

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Are you all having a little chuckle about the VAR howler on Saturday? I thought it was a really bad mistake but the reaction from the Reds was way over the top. It was as if they were the only team to suffer from a poor decision.

If only we had VAR in League Two! I’m sure decisions like that happen in almost every game in our league and often go unnoticed.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
If a player wears size 13 and the defender wears a size seven, who is going to be offside?

They make it up as they go along!
Forest v the Bees yesterday as a case in point about decisions.

As I don't watch most premier league games, I'm not too bothered!

Not chuckling at all, other than wryly that it‘s just so typical that, as with many other modern innovations in the game, the English manage to find all sorts of ways of getting themselves in an almighty mess with it.

Some reports say the VAR officials thought the ref had actually given the goal so they instructed not to overrule and, by the time they realised, it was too late because the game had restarted!

Liverpool’s statement is strong, in itself possibly OTT, but strategically it establishes a clear message - that‘ll be endorsed by many - that this incessant trail of error and incompetence is reaching breaking point, to the extent that an entire rethink about the use of VAR might be in order.

Meanwhile it’ll be interesting to see if PGMOL allow Liverpool access to the audio of the decision-making around that particular incident, and maybe even make it public (as they have done with other decisions). Put another way, if they refuse to do so, besides the obvious lack of transparency, they’ll be leaving themselves open to all sorts of accusations and conspiracy theories. (EDIT - Liverpool have reportedly been given a copy of it now).

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Couldn't care less about those whinging reds who seem to have some kind of self entitlement. There have been plenty of decisions gone their way in the past. Although it does show you that no matter what system you use, as long as humans are using it, there will still always be human error. A system is only as good as the people that use it.

Hence the question, that’s now starting to come to a head, about whether PGMOL has people of the required standard to implement VAR to an acceptable standard. And, if not, what needs to change, and how.

Not to 100% accuracy standard, because in real life that tends not to happen, but at least to an acceptable standard - say, for starters, one where Webb isn’t having to apologise every couple of weeks for incredibly basic human cock ups.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ok a mistake was made but it didn’t impact the two sendings off which in my view were both deserved (Jotas first yellow a bit harsh but he was stupid to get the second). Plus the own goal at the end whilst hilarious to watch, it was poor defending. Maybe Klopp should concentrate on those things instead.

However as with others I have little interest in the premier league. Would rather watch Chester than Chelsea

Yes, that’s presumably why we have an off topic section. The idea usually being that posters who aren't interested in an off topic discussion don’t need to keep jumping in to tell us they're not interested in it.

For those who are interested in it, the point - yet again - isn’t about the bog standard (or even TRFC fans’ standard.. ;)) whingeing about refereeing decisions. It transcends that, and gets to the very core of VAR itself and how it’s applied.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
However as with others I have little interest in the premier league. Would rather watch Chester than Chelsea
Yes, and the lower reaches of the game will happily survive without VAR, which is really just a product of the enormous wealth and litigious culture of the Premier League.