• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

TRFC financials year ended June ‘23

Interesting points in the last few posts.

Coming at it a slightly different way, in roughly 100 years of Football League membership we’ve been promoted just six times, seven if you want to include climbing out of the VNL. Two of those six promotions relied on a sugar daddy. The current chairman has one of those six (or two of seven) under his belt too.

With the shape the club’s in, I see no reason not to set our sights upwards rather than downwards, as any fourth division club with its own stadium, state of the art training complex, a ‘competitive budget’ and nearly 3,500 season ticket holders should. The blip of the exceptionally poor start to the season probably rules out any kind of playoff charge this season, but I think we’re intrinsically a top half team, and certainly there’s no reason to expect the club to be looking over its shoulders next season and beyond.

Incidentally, in the light of the financials just released, I noticed the LBN’s business correspondent described the club’s financial position as “stable”.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it is still perfectly possible for a club with our level of support to reach and stay in League One, even without substantial investment. There are clubs in the division above such as Cambridge, Exeter and Shrewsbury who have established themselves at that level without fantastic resources. As ever, the quality of decision making is key.

League Two next season is likely to be less dominated by cash-rich clubs with Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield all likely to be promoted. If Adkins remains in charge and is given a degree of autonomy, I would be fairly optimistic about our prospects.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting points in the last few posts.

Coming at it a slightly different way, in roughly 100 years of Football League membership we’ve been promoted just six times, seven if you want to include climbing out of the VNL. Two of those six promotions relied on a sugar daddy. The current chairman has one of those six (or two of seven) under his belt too.

With the shape the club’s in, I see no reason not to set our sights upwards rather than downwards, as any fourth division club with its own stadium, state of the art training complex, a ‘competitive budget’ and nearly 3,500 season ticket holders should. The blip of the exceptionally poor start to the season probably rules out any kind of playoff charge this season, but I think we’re intrinsically a top half team, and certainly there’s no reason to expect the club to be looking over its shoulders next season and beyond.

Incidentally, in the light of the financials just released, I noticed the LBN’s business correspondent described the club’s financial position as “stable”.
I’m not sure you’ve convinced me that we can make much progress without a lot more investment (or a sugar daddy as you call it). As things stand, we are underachieving given our squad, our fan base, our stadium and our infrastructure, but I would still say that our current potential is no more than League One mid-table.

I’m not sure you’ve convinced me that we can make much progress without a lot more investment (or a sugar daddy as you call it). As things stand, we are underachieving given our squad, our fan base, our stadium and our infrastructure, but I would still say that our current potential is no more than League One mid-table.
I wasn’t trying to make that argument, and I don’t disagree with you about the limit of our current potential which, in an overall historical context, would actually be quite a notable success.

Rather, even after a massive underachievement earlier this season (the consequence of one or two questionable decisions in the boardroom, since addressed), the club still is, and has been, in good enough shape to be looking up, not down. Any talk of slipping back into non league in the foreseeable, or even folding, very much jars with the reality, imho.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I wasn’t trying to make that argument, and I don’t disagree with you about the limit of our current potential which, in an overall historical context, would actually be quite a notable success.

Rather, even after a massive underachievement earlier this season (the consequence of one or two questionable decisions in the boardroom, since addressed), the club still is, and has been, in good enough shape to be looking up, not down. Any talk of slipping back into non league in the foreseeable, or even folding, very much jars with the reality, imho.
I agree 100% with both your paragraphs. I never hinted we were likely to be relegated or fold in the foreseeable future. I just said that if we did, we would probably survive and revive in some form.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Interesting reading this in light of the more recent thread.

Sustainable is an oft used word but also oft misunderstood. Rovers have always failed to make ends meet without sales or bonanzas. To be fair those that do, just spend more on players and make themselves less sustainable! The unpalatable truth of the matter at the top is, the Glazers preside over a buoyant club maybe not quite as successful as at other times but pocket shed loads of cash to no ill effect.

We live on a different planet now. If we get 6,500 currently the accounts might say get that to 8,500, you break even and are sustainable. I could throw a million (hypothetically) at Nigel as a new owner and if spent wisely we may get 8,500 however the break even would now be 11,000. As so it would go on and did under PJ.

What Palios and guess this dome thing is critical, needs to do now is show the break even is down to 7,500 by other income streams. Not sure this seismic change is coming, who knows?

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
To be sustainable the new club is needed pp only works set days a week the function rooms are outdated and the food is shocking. So let's put it this way would you want your wedding day at the club or your party with the crap they offer. The answer would be no, so until they improve things that side of the business will struggle... And let's face it they will not invest in that side of things properly

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
They couldn't even run an established hotel properly. And yes Covid finished that off

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Fact is if you do catering or events without expertise you will flop, same with music gigs. Far better to sub contract and gain a lesser but strong income stream.

Reactions: Ian

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes get all that. But even tge food offerings in the stands is poor. Ive seen them at bookers with the essential burgers 100 for les than £10 they're is no meat in them all the bits you grind up and add stuff to. Then sell at a higher price you buy crap you make crap. Standards don't cost anything

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well the standard is buying better quality food but that comes at a price and eats into profit. I've given up with the food as it's awful, overpriced junk. I only went back to the hot chocolate because it now has chocolate powder in it again! God knows what the watery mess was before it.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
When you see some non LG clubs doing Thai boxes and they have about 5 different things to them they sell them for £10. All quality and they are making proffits the club is reading city look it up