• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere Make First New Signing Of The Summer

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
http://www.tranmererovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10365~1326229,00.html

New friend for Shane perhaps? If he does slot in to right back, I imagine he will have knowledge of playing with Chorley. I'd like to see Kay play in the middle of the park next season for sure!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Edds - Thought I’d chuck in some Wikipedia.

Admittedly this didn’t fill me with confidence - "Chairman Pete Winkelman said: "I'd like to thank all of the players, especially Gareth Edds after four years of service and some unforgettable moments. Edds played just one more game after undergoing ankle surgery in November"

Injury prone perhaps? Time will tell however, I do hope not! He did play 122 games in four years mind!

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
Obviously lol! :lol:

I'm not a big fan of Jennings to be honest but I do appreciate that he put in some good performances last season and again being honest, he was probably in the top 3 team players however, I do think there's better centre midfielders out there who would make the team solid defensively but would actually be able to score goals. Gone are the days when our midfield would contribute to the goals.

No doubt someone will agree and then say but they wouldn’t come to Tranmere. I just don't think there's any harm in looking. Presumably the people who've been offered new contract will sign shortly or leave. If they want to leave, let them. I don't doubt we'll find good replacements with the 100's of players released in the summer.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Not too sure of this signing but will give him a chance. It does sound like a replacement for Jennings!

Player
Liam Palmer
Given our budget and status it's the sort of calibre of signing we can expect over the summer. A bit disappointed that we are signing League 2 players who have been released, but anyway, I am sure all Rovers fans will give him a chance so good luck Gareth and welcome to sunny Prenton Park!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
"I get around and I'll run all day."
Hopefully not like a headless chicken!
I'm sure Ronnie saw something in the player that other clubs didn't. Well, at least it's a new face and it'll be interesting to see how he plays.

Having spent four years in Milton Keynes, Eddsy was released by the Dons three weeks ago at the end of a season where injury restricted him to just 11 appearances.
Now I'm hoping he was just unlucky with injuries last season :whistle:Struggled to get back into the team and released. :roll:

Couple of views from Dons fans on the BBC 606 forums:

Awful player. There's a reason we're in league 2. Well OK a lot of reasons. He's one.
Edds was so bad for us - are Tranmere wanting to replace us next season?! :D CTID
edds is mr mkdons for many reasons, not a flare player but a team player and does what is asked of him - solid and not a fussy with the ball - a great asset to any team in league one - be very grateful if it wasnt for the quality of our squad you might not have got him

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
It doesn't matter what level a player was playing at, what matters is how they fit in for us. You don't have to think far back, just to the early 90s to remember a team built largely of non-league players, a few rejects and has-beens, altogether making a great and successful team.

Given our budget and status it's the sort of calibre of signing we can expect over the summer. A bit disappointed that we are signing League 2 players who have been released, but anyway, I am sure all Rovers fans will give him a chance so good luck Gareth and welcome to sunny Prenton Park!

Player
Liam Palmer
It doesn't matter what level a player was playing at, what matters is how they fit in for us. You don't have to think far back, just to the early 90s to remember a team built largely of non-league players, a few rejects and has-beens, altogether making a great and successful team.

That 90s team had a mix of what you describe + a few good quality players (has-beens?) from leagues above. We seem to have plenty of the former and not a lot of the latter.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm in two minds about this signing. I was at MK Dons for the final match of the season we finished third and MK Dons needed to beat us to avoid the drop. We coasted and two great goals from Gareth Edds made the difference. He certainly WAS a good player and might do well for us if he is really over his injury.

The fact MK Dons released him and we snapped him up probably says more about Dons ambition (brand new ground etc) and our poor financial state.

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
I think we're reading into the fact he was released a bit too much. It works both ways. In his recent interview he said he wanted a new challenge. Just because he has been released doesn’t mean he wasn’t wanted by MK Dons. It could mean that a contract couldn’t be agreed and he wanted to move on. I.e with Stockdale & no doubt with Steve Davies as well. (Lets face it... he's going!!)

I'm not sure if he's an injury prone player but 120+ games in four years isn’t too bad. If he has had injuries, he mustn’t have been out for long periods of time!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think he had ankle problems which caused him to miss quite a lot of last season. Will he be a direct replacement for Stockdale? Isn't he more of a midfield man?

Player
Goodison
I think this signing might show that Jennings is probably leaving and that we won't be signing a new right back. Instead Holmes might get his chance - yes you heard me a young Tranmere player playing for Tranmere under Ronnie Moore! and Edds or Kay will be his back up.

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
According to Wikipedia he seems to be listed as a central midfielder or defender however, how accurate that is, I don't know!

I think he will play a versatile role which may include right back. Perhaps he has been brought in to sure up the Midfield and provide cover for positions should the hunt for a natural right back not be overly successful... just a thought of course! 8)

I would like to think players like Holmes will get a chance next season but to be honest I just can't see it. If Tremarco couldn’t fully break in to the first team at right back (albeit he was behind in the pecking order with Stockdale in fairly decent form) I doubt Ronnie will gives Holmes a 1st team slot. Maybe though.... time will tell :lol:

Player
Johnny Morrissey
It does sum up the ambition of the club, signing someone who has left a lower division-ed club. Lack of finance means we have to take punts on these kind of players unfortunately, we can' just handpick the perfect player for each position.

You never know, a change of club sometime revitalises a player and maybe who knows he could be a decent player for us next season. Wait and see, always judge new signings on their perfroamces in the super white shirt, not on what MK Dons fans think of him, what do they know about football???

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Hopefully a replacement for Mullin and not Jennings. I'd take him as a replacement for Mullin.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Ben Chorley recent comments about Edds:

"Eddsy's a good lad. He's quite quiet and a good professional. I could describe him as Mr Consistent. He very rarely puts a foot wrong and he'll score some spectacular goals as he's got a great strike from both feet. He's a good addition to the squad."
This bodes very well, particularly if he scores some goals, by the sounds of it he's not afraid to bullet a few long rangers!!!!