• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-0 Accrington

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Edrissa Sonko's 1st goal for the club. I know not many went but any thoughts from who did go?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just got back from the game.
Not the greatest game to watch but we did just enough to get through to the next round.

There wasn't much threat from the visitors and it was really up to us to take a hold of the game. We really should have won comfortably but the final ball was lacking.

Kay had a solid game at the back until he had to go off. New boys Waterfall and Shotton were equally good and didn't put a foot wrong, although we must remember who we were playing. More sterner tests to come. Chorley was missing due to family commitments, but we coped fine at the back.

Onto midfield, this is the area of the pitch that concerns me most.
Shuker was poor again. He's well off the pace of the game. Poor passing, losing the ball to easily, just not with it at the moment.

O'Callaghan faded in and out of the game. He didn't impose himself and I'm not convinced he's got what we need in midfield. Made no impact on the game.

Same can be said of Sonko. He gives the ball away far too easily, and I haven't seen him take anyone on yet! We had two wingers out there tonight and played the ball down the middle for the most part! #-oI know he scored, so I'll cut him some slack..

Jennings played his usual game. Nothing special but did his job in the middle.
Bas and Curran played well again. Winning flicks, passing generally quite well and showed quite a lot of energy.
All in all, an important win but not a great game to watch. Tranmere could have and should have won comfortably.

I think Ronnie sums it up nicely, "The Win Was The Most Important Thing".

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ian, presumably Kay started in central defence, how did the defence re-organise when Barnett replaced him? Agree the result the main thing, but if our strikers weren't filling their boots, it was a shame Chris Greenacre not given a fuller run-out

Player
Goodison
An ok performance nothing to get the heart racing but its a win. We seemed to revert to hoof ball leaving Savage and Curran lacking real service and were left a bit isolated. Sonko took his goal well after a good pass from Curran, but the number of chances he misses per game, is getting a bit annoying now!

When Kay went off the defence was Taylor Shotton Waterfall Jennings, which looked quite comfortable. Kay and Waterfall looked very good together and Waterfall has a lot more composure than Chorley does. The midfield was poor with the exception of Jennings who broke things up well.

Man of the match would be either Taylor/Jennings both had good games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd give Taylor MOM for those two brilliant runs he made into their half. Lots of energy, cracking little player him.

I was quite impressed with Waterfall and Shotton. Only young guys with little experience, but they did look composed and did their job well. Few nice little touches and flicks from Shotton as well. Not sure he'd get away with that against better opposition.

I'm more worried about our wingers. Shuker is just off the pace, if its fitness he needs, he needs to work harder on that. I just dont rate Sonko from what I've seen, but it's early days, maybe these guys need more time.

Red Devil

Player
Moore, or Less
rovers doing ok, but should be better. Only 1-0 against Accrington Stanley - exactly!! ](*,)Still, a win is a win.