• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0 Notlob 1

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Well, a late goal by Notlob stole the day. To be honest, it was pretty poor from both sides all afternoon. Only a couple of chances of any note for Rovers, shots that went wide in the first half. But we were by no means "outclassed" by our Premiership opposition.

My first look at the new season's side and got to be frank and say it could be a long hard season for us. The defence, especially first half, looked shambolic at times. Sheriff goes missing far too often at left back imo, new boy Kay fluffed a few easy clearances, and the communication with the back 4 and Danny boy was poor and we nearly saw some calamitous moments there today!

As for going forwards, well the 2 wingers Davo and Shukes looked pacy and tricky at times. However when it came to crossing the ball and creating chances for us, well, what can I say? I'll say they were poor in that department today, lot of work needs to be done with the final ball as none of the strikers who got a game today had any sort of opportunity at goal.

As for the new players...

Danny has to build up a rapport with the back 4 to avoid what might have been cockups today happening again. But he didnt have a shot to save bar the goal but his kicking was good - something our keepers have lacked over the last couple of years!!!

Kay looked a bit shaky, is he better in midfield? He didnt look a centre half to me to be honest, but it was my first look and in a friendly so won't make judgement too soon.

Chorley looked a no-nonsense centre back, I like those sort, and he could possibly do well with Goodi.

And Ahmed only had 10 mins but had a decent effort on goal and a few passes.

So all in all, a poor game, disappointing to lose especially given the opposition. Lots to work on and hopefully Ronnie will get it right when it matters, August 11. Off to Alty (just down the road from where I work) on Monday to take my second glance at the new squad.:-D

Player
Goodison
Sheriff goes missing far too often at left back imo

He did that the whole of last season. Wasnt at the match so cant comment on the teams performance. Although if you saw a easyjet plane fly past at about half 4, I was on that plane. I couldnt really see the players or anything!
What was the attendance like?

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Maybe it was just me but I thought we looked good against a very capable side. Bolton have Premiership class players and our defence never really gave them anything apart from when they hit the bar and their goal which incidentially came after Chorley replaced Kay at the back. I think attacking wise we could improve... We didn't create an awful lot for Zola or Greenacre but Davies had a couple of chances and got in some good positions. Shuker possibly had our best chance at the start of the 2nd half and should have scored but the keeper saved. Also we should have had a penalty 1st half when their defender clearly handballed in the area. A decent performance against a Bolton side who only really missed Anelka from their 1st team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I missed this game being away, didn't sound like I missed much. Did we create anything notable? Also, what was the attendence?