• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-2 Scunthorpe

Need i ask

i take it i havent missed anything then all winter

anyone know what the new kits like??

dont bother telling me about the match

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sorry Al, this is a post match thread, we may have to mention the game at some point. :wink:

Kit looks OK. Quite plain, white of course, with a blue think stripe on one of the sleeves. Yeah, quite nice from a distance.

The match sums up the season really. In all fairness, we didn't play to badly considering we got beat 2-0. I've seen a lot worse.

Unlucky to hit the post and also should have had a penalty.
Their second looked offside, but the difference between the two sides. They can put it away when it counts.

We huffed and puffed a lot but with no end product, whereas they turned on the style for 20 mins in the second half and ended 2-0 up.

Horrible having to sit through 90 minutes of Scunthorpe celebrations, but that's football.

Did anyone see Ward after he let in the first? He was lying on his back, and chucked the ball up in the air out of frustration, the ball bounced off the crossbar and hit him full in the face. Ohh dear.. Had to laugh though. :lol:

jim

We missed Shuker today and (dare I say it) Ellison. Too many times I saw Zola or Greenacre being forced wide. Curran and Davies weren't in the game at all. When I saw Shukes warming up, I thought "great" then I'm sure Ronnie subbed the wrong player!! This led to a nice big hole opening up and let them through to score. In my opinion we should have seen Curran replaced and not McCready.

All in all, not a bad performance, it was nice to see them passing along the ground a lot more. Thank god Taylor wasn't involved. Goodison had a bad game by his standards I thought.

I didn't think Scunthorpe were anything other than ok. I suppose that just goes to show how crap this league is generally that a distinctly average side can take the title. I suppose they've been consistently average and avoided bad spells.

Just thought I'd make a special mention to the referee who did his best to not let the game flow and not allow any quick free kicks. Also a big thanks to him for allowing Scunthorpe to get away with all that shirt pulling and give them free kicks as a reward.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
First half was ok, a few chances but we just don't test the opposition keeper! I've been all the home games and a few aways (4 or 5) and am yet to see their keeper have a blinder to keep us out. Cos their keeper is a mere spectator! Murphy had a bout 2 saves all game and nothing too difficult for him.

A poor second half display, don't wanna say too much about it really, guts me to see away fans celebrating while we were so awful. And they weren't great and their champions.

I have to say that I doubt Ronnie's tactical ability. His substitutions stumped me. We had a 17 year old kid on his debut, from what I've seen of him for the youth team he's been playing striker. He played the lad right side of midfield like he did so well when he came on the other week. Fair enough, but to then ask him to play wing back was right out of order, I felt so sorry for the kid. And Davo too, he's been stuck out on the wing when he is a striker. He plays striker in the reserves I believe, and scores goals. Yet we have to put up with Calvin Zola up there. How this man has 'earned' 2 new contracts in his time with us is beyond me. Can't jump won't jump. Take half an hour to turn, he's like a HGV. And he's hardly profilic, give him a one-on-one and I'm not sure i put a penny on him to score.

Thats all for now, rant over!

Player
Morrisey
At Millwall their keeper did make about ten saves in the olast 15 minutes to keep us out and we made loads of chances it was just that Zola failed to convert a one-on-one and a couple of others. I thought his running was good then but I didn't see today so cant comment. It seems to be a trend that can let our selves down by a rough spell every game where we will concede. The same has happened in the league when we didn't win for ages around Christmas. A few more points then and we would be there. If we had won then I think we would all have had a little belief that we could have made the play offs. Results went our way today yet when we had the opportunity we bottled it like we have on so many occassions this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We were the better side in the first half, Greenacre hit the post and Davies, McLaren and Harrison all had chances, none near the target. Second half, the Iron upped their game a bit, ours faded away. Didn't get the impression that their first goal had crossed the line on initial viewing at the game. Presume it was a correct decision? The 2nd looked offside, but Rovers had little to offer in the rest of the game.

Defence. While I don't rate Ward and he takes the lions share of the blame for their first, he did claim the ball well and the defence around him were shaky. McCready and Thompson were steady, Shane wasn't and Goodison had his worst game in a long while, if a defender needed subbing, it was him.

Midfield. I agree with SCoops and disagree with Jim over Craig Curran. Given he was played out of position, didn't fare too badly, he certainly wasn't our worst player imo. Davies isn't a left-winger on today's showing. Neither of the central midfielders imposed themselves on the game.

Attack. Chrissy Greenacre was our best player today, but Zola showed nothing. I'd have like to see us try with 3 up front, Curran in his natural position, maybe Ellison to add some height.

Otherwise, the officials were poor and appeared scared of the away fans. Didn't rate Scunthorpe on todays showing, but they've obviously done enough over the course of a season, good luck to them.

jim

Just to clear up my comment on Curran:

I didn't mean Curran was playing badly, it was due to him being played out of position that he didn't really make an impact - not his fault. Should have given him a start up front and kept Shukes on the wing.

SCoops, I have doubted Moores tactical ability from the first couple of months of him being here, couldn't agree more mate. Ronnie "one plan" doesn't seem to know what the hell he's doing until it's too late - look at Taylor! Even a blind man could have told him Taylor hasn't cut it in the second half of this season. Ever wonder what may have been if we'd changed the attacking options a bit earlier in the season? We looked a lot more comfortable playing it on the ground today without Taylor in the side. I think if we'd played that way for longer it would have gelled a lot more and we'd have had some results. Next thing we know Goodison will be playing left back!

Players being played out of position..... bring back any memories?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Although we lost, I don't think we can be too critical. Subbing a defender for a creative player wasn't such a bad move. There was nothing to lose, we had to win the game.

A few new things were tried with Curran in the starting line up, who I actually thought had a decent game, ableit would have been more productive playing up front.

But let's remember where we are. We've made good strides from last season and this is Ronnie's first season in charge. I think sometimes we expect too much. Ronnie has undoubtably learned lessons from this season and let's see it things improve next season like they did this season.

At least we were looking at top 6 finish instead of bottom 6 this season!

I think we also need to give Scunthorpe a little more credit. We say they were quite ordinary, yet beat us at home 2-0. And they've done that for most of the season. There's obviously something about them..

Ronnie Moore's SWA!!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
To be honest its all about experimenting now for next season. We sounded quite good 1st half and I was half expecting us to beat them but 2nd half sounded poor. To be honest seeing their 1st on tv im not sure it crossed the line but then again it wasnt the best angle. Give Curran and Davies full games again at Crewe I think but lets give Curran a go up front and maybe give Davies half a game up front too instead of him being out on the left all the time.

Player
Morrisey
This season is a building season and one for RM to get used to the club but the way he assembled the squad hinted that he was looking to get us up this season. This would have been good but I think to stay here and establis a good squad in L! and then move up would have been a better approach I know that we have the ability to do that and we can weed out the bad players and retain the good ones but that wasn't RM's intentions. Hopefully we will see the youngster integrated more in the last few games and then we can prime them for next season. It is very encouraging though to see us up at the top rather than the bottom.

Bring on next season.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
It was a 50-50 game for me, the first half we moved the ball really really well. Didn't have too many chances but looked promising! I didn't see the off the post chance too well but my brother was in the Cowshed and said it was a whisker away!

Second half was less than entertaining. We just seemed to not know what was going on and I found it annoying that Shane Sherrif was constantly whining at Goodison even though the play was still heading toward them on a few occasions. They all looked asleep at the back for the second goal which was snailed into the net!!

But I do agree with Super_White & Joe. It's an opportunity to build, let some dead weight go and see if we can pick up a bargain during pre season.