• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-1 Morecambe

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh dear ohh dear.. What a poor display that was.
That has to be the biggest waste of ?7 in quite some time.

This game can be summed up quite easily.
Morecambe wanted the win, Tranmere didn't.

I was very impressed with Morecambe. Their work rate and commitment was frst class. They had every player chasing the ball, their two centre backs (who were solid throughout) ate Curran and Greenacre for breakfast.

I dont remember the lads mustering a shot on target in the first half at all. Shuker was playing far too deep, but went off at half time (still not sure why??!) and Davies was largely anonymous on the left.

The second half picked up a bit, but only a bit.
The same pattern followed really. Tranmere tried a time to get the ball into their box but time and time again, it was intercepted.

It really was a disappointing performance.
And that's now twice we've been knocked out of the cup this season against lower opposition, and failed to score a goal!

I wouldn't have been to arsed if the lads had put in the effort, but it was sadly lacking, and that's what annoys me, Ronnie harps on about this being an important competition, blah blah... Load of bollox really.

And I wasn't too impressed with some of the players either. Adnan was awful in midfield, too slow. Kay looked big and clumsy.

I was however pleased to see Achterberg back in goal who made two superb saves.

Player
Goodison
i wasnt there so I cant really comment, but the result seems to speak for itself. But what bugs me is Ronnie's post match comments as he sounds far too much like a fan and not much like a manager. comments like "You'd never think we'd worked on how to break them down." are just stupid, because its his fault if the team isnt learning or listening to his advice. He doesnt seem to understand the idea that he's the manager and when we lose hes got to try and fix it, not just come out with stupid irrellavent comments that mean nothing. Then he says "were lacking a bit upfront" - days after the transfer window has closed! Shouldn't he have identified this and brought someone in? Personally I think are strikers arent too bad with the excemption of Taylor. Zola doesnt score many goals,but atleast he puts a bit of effort in and gives the defenders something to worry about.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
It might bug you, but speaking as he does, saying how it is - even if how it is isn't pretty - that's precisely why I love Ronnie and think he's great.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Then he says "were lacking a bit upfront"

I couldn't believe how out of depth, particularly Curran was tonight. I know he's only young and is still learning, but he got a cold, hard lesson tonight in facing up to a solid, no-nonsense centre back and he didnt stand a chance to be honest.

Their two centre backs were rocks and not much got past them, even the experienced Greenacre struggled but had a bit more fortitude.

But it's worrying that we can't seem to score against lower league opposition. Trying to break them down was a real struggle, and almost every shot we had was off target.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Player
Goodison
It might bug you, but speaking as he does, saying how it is - even if how it is isn't pretty - that's precisely why I love Ronnie and think he's great.

I like that about him aswell - its better than coming out with that then with sum random jargan. However my problem is the fact he never seems to act on these comments and we always have the same problems

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
By the sound of it, should be grateful that the early kick off prevented me going.

Would be interested in the views of those who did attend as to how the fringe players fared. Ronnie was fairly complementary about Kay, although Ian less so. Was he any good in the right-back slot? How did Tremarco fare? Is Mike Jones capable of challenging Chris Shuker for the wide right berth? Would like to have seen one of the younger central defenders; Johnston or Holmes on the bench too.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
OK, I may have been slightly negative towards Kay. I was feeling a tad cheesed off last night. He didn't have a bad game, I dont think he particularly stood out as being the best on the park. He's a big lad and doesn't look to light on his feet. I would have liked to have seen him in midfield with Goodison and Chorley at the back.

Tremarco played OK, nothing wonderful but did the job.
Mike Jones really wasn't in the game at all. He drifted into the centre quite a lot instead of staying out wide, and his touches weren't great, Davies saw more of the ball on the right wing! He did nothing to impress. I'd say he was quite some way off challenging Shukes based on his performance.

I honestly dont know what Moore sees in Adnan either. He had nothing about him at all. You would have thought these players on the fringe would be eager to impress the boss having been given a chance, but they didn't look arsed at all.