• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Super Ryan Taylor

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Ex-player, but still a fans favourite. His beautiful free-kick on Boxing Day sank our old friend Sam Allardyce (I feel sorry to the Geordie fans) and now Wigan gaffer Steve Bruce is comparing our Ryan to a certain David Beckham!

I must say, after watching Ryan for Tranmere for however many games, and Beckham, however many times for England, they are very similar in a lot of ways. Great from dead balls. Good long passers of a ball. Good engine to get up and down the field. Maybe Brucie has a point ...

Hear his thoughts here ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/ne...mp=wm&news=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Ryan Taylor's free kicks are in my opinion, better than David Beckham's. Quite a grand statement, but I really think it's true. Here's why: David Beckham has scored a handful of dramatic goals for clubs and country, but he's also missed hundreds, thousands of free kicks high and wide. In almost every game I've watched that Beckham's played in, he's missed three or four free kicks 'getting his eye in' before he scores one.

I think Ryan puts his on target much much more frequently than Beckham, forcing the keepers to make a save at the least, otherwise it's a goal. If I was a premier league manager I'd be more inclined to sign up Taylor than Beckham, especially as these days that 'great engine' that Becks had is now kaput.

Player
Goodison
Taylor should play for England no doubt about it - he can kick the ball better than Beckham - no doubt about it. He doesnt need a warm up shot from free kicks they just hit the target. And he hit the crossbar in tranmeres cross bar challenge a view years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJakZu_PsSQ

here's how he would fit into my england team

Carson

Taylor Richards Carragher Shorey

Bentley Hargreaves Barry Young

Rooney Ashton

yes I was a bit bored!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Ryan Taylor's free kicks are in my opinion, better than David Beckham's.

I completely agree NDBH. I watched some preiership lookbacks recently and he is still so accurate with free kicks and crosses. And he always seem to give his all in every game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't think it does Ryan Taylor any favours to be compared with Beckham, they are totally different players, although I'll accept the premise that on the one area where they are similar, Ryan's free-kicks are more reliable than Becks

Ryan is a much better defensive player, weak in the air at his early days with Rovers, but he worked at it and was confident by the time he left. Aside from free-kicks, the creative side of his game is less well developed than that of Beckham, but give it time. I can see him playing for England, though more as a right-sided midfielder than a full-back, where a lack of pace may be a problem

Player
Johnny Morrissey
That would be amazing have someone who started at Rovers playing for England. Hope Capello has been watching him over Christmas, he's been excellent and I have to agree with what you guys have said, his free kicks probably hit the target more frequently than Goldenballs'! He's a good lad is Ryan, keep it up and maybe see you in South Africa 2010???=D>