• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Strikers

• Thread starter Matthew The Rover
  • Start date
M

Matthew The Rover

Now me being me, I like a little stat or two, so I got my calculator out just now and calculated how many goals our strikers have scored in the last nine games. The total was one, Delroy Facey vs Huddersfield Town.

Now, this means that our strikers between them have managed one goal in 810 minutes, or 13.5 hours of football. This is an utter disgrace. I am under the impression that Strikers are supposed to score goals so why aren't they doing this? Even Liverpool's strikers have scored more goals in 2006 (Crouch and Garcia).

I remember openly saying I think our strike force was ok after the Rotherham win (or there abouts) and I am now going to eat my own words and say what has happened? What's the difference?

I have never really taken to Greenacre nor Facey but I have always had a soft spot for Calvin (not in that way SWS) but even he is failing to provide the goods (as he so often does to be honest but he does a lot more than score as does Facey).

I continued to work on my stats and have come up with this:

Goals Scored: 36 from 35 games. 1.029 goals per game. Only five teams in the league have scored fewer goals (MK Dons, Hartlepool, Yeovil, Port Vale and Gillingham) but MK Dons have played two games fewer and all bar Gillingham have a game in hand of us.

Of our pathetic 36 goals, just 23 have been scored by strikers (Greenacre 12, Facey 7, Zola 3 and Davies 1).

This says one of three things to me:

a) Our attackers are simply not good enough
b) Our midfield is simply not providing them with the chances
c) The attackers don't work well together

Now, I think it is a mixture of all three personally. We can't simply blame the midfield for every occasion our attackers don't score. Sure the killer ball is not their often enough but attackers should be able to create goals out of nothing.
Too often the striker does get the chance to score and the ball will go whistleing over the cross bar or wide of the post. Delroy Facey and Calvin Zola are number one culprits for this although I think Calvin has got much better this season.
Then obviously our attackers don't work together. Looks at Facey and Greenacre. For games they have played together, Delroy has won the header and Greenacre has been nowhere to be seen.

Another stat for the record books:

Our strikers manager a goal once every 140 minutes on the pitch between them. That's over one and a half games and pretty pathetic.

Obviously sometimes our style of play doesn't suit the type of football where you have to score a goal but really, that record is awful. We had a player named Iain Hume, or even Paul Hall who could create a goal out of nothing. Lee Trundle does it for Swansea as well. Our strikers really don't do that and it is what is needed in a striker. Creativity is a valuable part of their game and three of the four we have don't have it, the other doesn't get a chance.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Well I've said to many people Facey and Greenacre sahouldnt start along side each other. They dont work well together. If you look when Davies or Zola is playing with him he scored a hat-trick even bags 1 in other matches, when Facye came back after hsi injury Greeny aint scoring.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Matthew The Rover said:
Now, this means that our strikers between them have managed one goal in 810 minutes, or 13.5 hours of football. This is an utter disgrace.
Absolutely right mate. That doesn't make good reading at all. However, for strikers to score goals, they need service. It's as simple as that.

Look at the last few games. What service have they been given? The only service they get is a long ball out from defence which Facey manages to win (90% of the time) which then falls to no-one.

Now I know I've got my reservations about Facey, but I sure know that Greenacre can strike a ball. The team is lacking so much from creativity and I'm sure confidence at this time, it's just not happening.

I remember Jackson a few weeks back saying that other members of the team need to chip in with goals too. Where are they? :???:

B

Banana Army

Matthew The Rover said:
Of our pathetic 36 goals, just 23 have been scored by strikers (Greenacre 12, Facey 7, Zola 3 and Davies 1).

Hmm 64% of our goals being scored by strikers seems about right to me. Look at the Premierships top 4:

Chelsea: 44.4%
Man U: 63.5%
Liverpool: 44.48%
Tottenham: 70.2%

To me our strikers seem to be scoring plenty of goals in respect to the rest of our team. IMO our midfielders lack of goals is more the problem. Maybe facey could do with scoring a couple more, but you cant expect the strikers to score all our goals bar a couple.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
It doesn't need a Calculator Matt!!!:lol: I think the front 2 are decent, they just havent had a sniff of a goal all year! If we had a decent midfield to supply them I'm sure they could get us goals but as it is we're struggling big time.

DixieDean

Matthew The Rover said:
We had a player named Iain Hume, or even Paul Hall who could create a goal out of nothing. Lee Trundle does it for Swansea as well. Our strikers really don't do that and it is what is needed in a striker. Creativity is a valuable part of their game

I don't agree with that at all. Ian Rush and Gary Lineker had very little creativity to their games. So too Michael Owen. English football's greatest ever goalscorer, John Aldridge, never had pace or trickery to create chances.

Van Nistelrooy has ZERO creativity, yet he's been one of the top scorers in the Premiership for years, because he gets such good service. He misses plenty, but gets enough chances that it doesn't matter. Our lads get 1 or 2 chances every game due to the lack of creativity throughout the team.

Players like Humey are few and far between at this level and you don't get to hold onto them for long...

Equally, it is hard to get a clinical finisher, in the mould of Aldridge, who can hit the target with EVERY shot.

We have to face it, we are in the third division and clinical strikers are hard to come by. This means we need to be more creative throughout the team and not just rely on the strikers to put away the 1 chance they may get in 90 minutes.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I think we just lack the players to create chances for our strikers. I mean who have we really got?

Rankine=No
Harrison=No
Jennings= Hardly plays
O'leary=Doesn't create much
McAteer=Probably our most creative player
Aiston=Always looks like creating something until he crosses. He has no end product a lot of the time.

I think the only player who may create something for us now is Paul Brown... he needs to be given a run in the 1st team now!

M

Matthew The Rover

Can't blame it all on the lack or creativity or final ball imo. Away games stick more in the mind for me but I do remember the midfield and defence assisting goals vs. Blackpool, Vale, Scunny, Huddersfield, Gills and more.

Sometimes the final ball isn't there and sometimes it is but blaming our strikers for not scoring is not all down to that. How many times did Facey spank the ball over the ball vs. Swansea, Blackpool, Rochdale etc? Same with Zola.

Blaming the midfield every time is like Brian blaming one mistake for every game we lose!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I don't blame it on lack of service, I don't blame it on lack of finishing abiliy.

I blame it on the manager.

Training.

Tactics.

Team selection.

I'm starting to wonder if Brian was having many many naps during the training towards his coaching badges. Or perhaps he's losing his marbles and everyone has been too polite to question him?

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

The team are very low in confidence and all of the strikers at the moment are very low in confidence. We are not creative enough going forward and when we dont get chances we dont put them away. I say the only area of the pitch were we look alright is the defence. Paul Linwood done a good job at centre back at the weekend. The only problem I have with the rovers defence is Ian Goodison. Goals need to come from creative players making chances for the front men and I say are most creative player is Jason McAteer and hes always injured and he only decides to play well every now and again.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I'd disagree with you on Goodison... He was one of our best players against Barnsley and although I don't like him at left back I do feel he is decent at centre back. On the other points though you are right. We are low on confidence and maybe we could do with getting a lucky goal to find our shooting boots. I feel McAteer would certainly help us in creating chances especially at home.