• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Shrews 1-1 Tranmere

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounded like a decent game. Chances for both teams, possibly more for the home side. Happy with the point, wasn't an easy game. Was Gornell just as bad as he was for us?

Look forward to the reports.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A hard fought and, in the end, probably deserved point for Rovers against a decent Shrewsbury side.

In the first half we were awful in possession with Shrewsbury dominating the play for long periods. We really had two outstanding displays from Taylor and Gibson to thank for restricting the Shrews to relatively few clear chances despite their possession and keeping the deficit to only one goal. Ash in particular I thought was superb, and had we played so poorly last season we would probably have been three down at the break.

I was impressed with Shrewsbury: they mixed up the play between short passing and the long ball, and Richards in midfield was excellent. That said, I doubt our midfield will play as badly all season as in the first 45, as Wallace and Robinson weren't in the game at all, and Thompson was pretty woeful for the whole match.

After the break and an obvious bollocking form Ronnie, we upped the tempo and got our creative players in the game, while inevitably looking vulnerable to the counter attack. We didn't make best use of our opportunities, with Cassidy, Wallace, and Stockton all missing decent openings. However, the introduction of Bell Baggie gave us a second wind and it was his cross which led to the goal, another poacher's effort from Akpro.

On the positive side, we are still unbeaten and took a point from a game we would have got nothing from last season, and in front of a great Rovers turnout of 1,200 - 1,500. We look solid at the back, and have that extra touch of class to dig something out of games. Bell Baggie looked unplayable at times with his pace and directness when he came on and should probably start ahead of Thompson, but not on Tuesday night. Hopefully Akpro will be the prolific striker we have been desperate for in recent years, while Fon Williams produced a couple of world class saves near the end to secure the point.

On the negative side, we are still not defending set plays properly, with their goal coming from a free kick, and the saves by Fonners also resulting from set plays.

In answer to Ian's question, Gornell looked exactly like he did for us: good touch and technique but can't finish. Most Shresbury fans are apparently desperate to see a new striker come in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought we were lucky to get a point.

After a fairly even opening 20 minutes, the home side were in the ascendency. This was helped by Rovers tendency to surrender possession and to invariably be last to the second ball. After going close on a couple of occasions, the referee awarded a free-kick for a push (the BBC website says on our old friend Terry Gornell; that didn't register at the time). Contact was minimal, the dive exaggerated, but our aggrieved defence switched off allowing Morgan to plant a powerful header in the back of the net.

Second half was better, but not that much, initially. We kept giving the ball away, but our opponents didn't make the most of it. Maybe at this point a Mancini-style substitution, putting on a midfield-battler like Harrison who could help us retain possession might have changed things. Instead, around the hour mark, Bell-Baggie and Stockton replaced the uninspiring Thompson and the slightly unfortunate Cassidy. Abdulai certainly had an impact and his cross headed back by Palmer allowed JLAA to grab an equaliser. However, we still didn't learn to hold the ball and only some excellent saves from OFW earned us the point.

Defensively we were sound and although Rovers weren't clinical enough, we certainly created enough chances up front. The midfield was the problem area in this game. Wallace didn't look the player we know from last season, Robinson worked hard, but wasn't pulling the strings, Palmer drifted in and out of the game and Thompson was anonymous. I'd hope the Villa game wasn't holding any of them back.

Agree with RLC about Shrewsbury, they were a decent side,who could have won comfortably with a better striker.

I hadn't realised there were that many away fans present,a couple of hundred more than my estimate. The SWA were in fine voice too.

MoM OFW, without his fine saves, we come away with nothing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I believe we must give credit to Shrewsbury's awful finishing that we ended the game with a point. Disappointing 45 minutes though. That has to be worked on.

Bell-Baggie sounded like a handful when he came on. May be worth giving him a shot in place of Thompson who hasn't shown much so far.

Also regarding the goals, it seems like Akpa Akpro is keeping things going, but what about Stockton and Cassidy. They seem to be missing quite a few chances between them. How did they play today?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bell-Baggie sounded like a handful when he came on. May be worth giving him a shot in place of Thompson who hasn't shown much so far.

Also regarding the goals, it seems like Akpa Akpro is keeping things going, but what about Stockton and Cassidy. They seem to be missing quite a few chances between them. How did they play today?

I'm unsure if Bell-Baggie could deliver over 90 minutes rather than as an impact player at this point in his career. After seeing a rather agricultural challenge in this game from him, his defending is never going to be a strength, so he may be marginalised in away games. It may be worth giving him a start in the JPT to evaluate more fully.

Ian, I don't think Akpa Akpro can be exempt from criticism, Cassidy put one decent cross in which he headed over and there were good balls going into their box which weren't challenged for.
Felt a bit for Jake Cassidy today. He seems to being asked to play deeper, more outside the box, than last season. He worked hard, created some opportunities, but wasn't able to finish; a good dink ball over the top from Thompson just before he was subbed being an example. Personally felt that RM should have kept him on a bit longer when Bell-Baggie was brought on. Stockton had one good chance in space outside the box, but couldn't keep the shot down. He generally did ok, but Cassidy seemed more likely to score.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Well done lads ...completes a great week ...

We can win this league ..why ...one word... Ronnie Mooore

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm worried about Thompson

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
He doesn't seem to be particularly good at anything. Doesn't want the ball. Pedestrian. Prepared to give him a chance and all that, but Akins looked better tbh.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think he has given reasonable protection to the full back in the matches so far, but not a great deal else. RM still thinks highly of him and on that basis I would give him a little longer to prove himself. Bell Baggie was dreadful in the pre-season games I saw but is now beginning to justify the faith Moore has shown in him.

I still think Thompson should start the next few matches as Bell Baggie would probably be a defensive liability over 90 minutes despite his obvious ability.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Lucas Akins scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot after 'keeper Alex Cisak felled striker Marcus Haber in the box. The referee had no choice but to award the spot kick and the former Tranmere Rovers man, fresh from his winner against Leyton Orient last Tuesday, made no mistake in breaking the deadlock.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I think he has given reasonable protection to the full back in the matches so far, but not a great deal else. RM still thinks highly of him and on that basis I would give him a little longer to prove himself. Bell Baggie was dreadful in the pre-season games I saw but is now beginning to justify the faith Moore has shown in him.

I still think Thompson should start the next few matches as Bell Baggie would probably be a defensive liability over 90 minutes despite his obvious ability.

DH doesn't need all that much protection, he's pretty functional. Gonna give Thompson a few more games, if he doesn't show a bit more going forward (especially at home) then he can sit on the bench for a bit. Has he got rid of that daft moustache yet?

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
DH doesn't need all that much protection, he's pretty functional. Gonna give Thompson a few more games, if he doesn't show a bit more going forward (especially at home) then he can sit on the bench for a bit. Has he got rid of that daft moustache yet?

Are you RM in disguise..!:-({|=