• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Season Tickets

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
First I'm going to start with something that not everyone may agree with at first, but I hope by explaining it you'll all accept it as fact.

You make MORE money - whatever business you are in - selling 10,000 units at £5 than by selling 5,000 units at £10.

Hang on a minute - says the number crunching Lorraine Rogers-esque among you - either way you make £50,000.

Yes, but NO.

If you go to the bank and want to borry money, which will lead you to a stronger line of credit? Having half the number of sales won't do you any favours there will it?!

If you've sold twice as many units, then there are twice as many customers who can show or tell their friends about it. Leading to greater possible sales in the future.

Lastly, and most importantly are the knock on benefits. If you're selling shoes then chances are while they're in your store the customers will consider buying shoe polish, or a shoehorn, or some socks, who knows. It's the knock-on benefits that make money for you - and if you've sold twice the number of units then chances are you'll sell more of the extras as well.

Season Tickets

It used to be the case that having a season ticket entitled you to free entry to reserve team matches, and free entry to first round matches in the league cup and first and second round matches in the lower league trophy, and nothing in the FA cup except entitling you to a reserved seat.

Charging season ticket holders for first round of the LDV and league cup type matches makes no sense. If you try to charge £7 let alone £13 for that kind of game then you'll have next to nobody there.

The money is made at those kind of matches by the knock-on benefits, such as programme, pie and pint sales. But not if the stands are empty.

Add in half time draw at £1 a ticket, and the ability to say to advertisers that their adverts have been seen x number of times by x number of people, provable by official attendance figures - filling empty seats should be the commercial department's number one priority.

And the supporter's shirt is another example of sticking the middle finger up at the fans with one hand while begging for money with the other. A few hundred people were prepared to pay the money to get onto it, compared to the last one where all of the thousands of season ticket holders got onto it for free. AND THEN WANTED TO BUY IT for £30. If there are only a few hundred names on it, then there will be LESS people who will want to buy it, so money lost on number of people prepared to pay to have name on and money lost on total number of people buying it. Business nonsense again.

If I didn't have a season ticket then I'd be much more prepared to pay to get my name alongside all the people who are season ticket holders than to get my name alongside all those who have more money than sense.

Food and Drink

Anyone else think that the single beefburger price of £2.50 is crazy? Football food isn't anyone's idea of a delicacy, but at that price you'd expect better than a piece of rubber in a crusty bun. I wouldn't mind the rubber in a bun if it was £1.50 as you'd expect it to be, perhaps, perhaps £2.50 for the double burger - but it would have to be nice to justify that price tag. £2.50 for the SINGLE burger is nonsense.

Stella in the bar. We all accept that for safety reasons they can't serve bottles to us. SO WHY THE BLEEDING HELL do they serve Stella in the bar behind the Kop at halftime. It's 15 mins time to get a swift pint in, but instead the queue three or four deep along the whole of the bar has to wait while the barmaids slowly decant each stella bottle into a plastic pint pot which as we all know gives a pint of froth and nothing else, which isn't what the customer wanted anyway, and takes about 5 minutes per bottle. They should either get it on tap, or NOT sell it. It's so simple and would double revenue in that bar by the simple fact that the customers already in there could perhaps get served before 10 minutes into the second half, by which time of course they have left.

Every match I go in there to buy a pint, and end up either walking off disappointed or getting a half which I have to neck because they've already kicked off. And the sole reason for that is not that they are under staffed or over busy - it's the sale of stella_not_bottles that does it. How about a policy of "Stella Please", "Sorry love only Carling on today" - that would do it and cost nothing. People want to go in, get their pint of lager or bitter, and the brands matter little since even the biggest beer snob would still have to drink it up quickly to have walked down, bought it, drunk it, and walked back up in the 15 minutes.

Rant over.

DixieDean

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
And the supporter's shirt is another example of sticking the middle finger up at the fans with one hand while begging for money with the other. A few hundred people were prepared to pay the money to get onto it, compared to the last one where all of the thousands of season ticket holders got onto it for free. AND THEN WANTED TO BUY IT for £30. If there are only a few hundred names on it, then there will be LESS people who will want to buy it, so money lost on number of people prepared to pay to have name on and money lost on total number of people buying it. Business nonsense again.

If I didn't have a season ticket then I'd be much more prepared to pay to get my name alongside all the people who are season ticket holders than to get my name alongside all those who have more money than sense.

that's spot on. what a bad idea the third shirt has been this time around. How many names are actually on the shirt? anyone know? it surely hasnt made anywhere near the money it would have if they put all season ticket holders on it.....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great read! I find myself nodding away to this:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
Food and Drink

Anyone else think that the single beefburger price of £2.50 is crazy? Football food isn't anyone's idea of a delicacy, but at that price you'd expect better than a piece of rubber in a crusty bun. I wouldn't mind the rubber in a bun if it was £1.50 as you'd expect it to be, perhaps, perhaps £2.50 for the double burger - but it would have to be nice to justify that price tag. £2.50 for the SINGLE burger is nonsense.

In addition, that third shirt was a joke. Everyone I've spoke to thought the whole idea was a nonsense.

Great piece NBDH.

Also, if you don't have anything constructive to say in this thread to backup what NBDH has written, then save it. I don't want to see this thread ruined.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I agree the third shirt was a joke. The food can be too expensive but I don't really mind the food.

The biggest ripoff is the prices rto get i, ok for home games I have my seaosn ticket but away games is a dear do, and alot more will go if theprices were reasonable say £4 or £5 for kids sopme big games £9 £10 for adults but instead your paying £12 to get in to sheds like doncaster!

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

If you can afford to go then go but if you cant I respect you for supporting the club. Only messing the price increasres are a joke. Lokk at the price to get into Oldham this season £23!!! It's a joke

tranmere have always been a club thats quite reasonable for match entry prices. however i do feel that we are losing alot of fans thick and fast. this is mainly down to the standard of football thats on show but i do feel something else could be done to claim the stay-away fans back. there are alot of fans i know who have said this season that they would rather have a night out or go shoppin' than watch tranmere and i find that sad.if prices were a little lower maybe these type of fans would think twice about missin' there beloved team on a saturday.

lowering tickets enough to generate more bums on seats would benifit everbody,especially BL! the atmosphere would be knocked up a touch and the players would love playin' in front of 12,000 fans each week.which is what i reckon were capable of!

on the new third kit,i think it's an absolute RIP-OFF and who ever come up with the idea needs shootin'.a one off with the season ticket shirt was enough but our club tranmere just don't no when to stop.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
the tickets should be lowered to by a couple pound coccasionally kid or a quid days or adults play a fiver days.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
lowering tickets enough to generate more bums on seats would benifit everbody,especially BL! the atmosphere would be knocked up a touch and the players would love playin' in front of 12,000 fans each week.which is what i reckon were capable of!

i disagree. the price would have to be reduced significantly for us to be getting gates of 12000. christ, we never got those figures when we were pushing for promotion to the prem.

IMO, lowering the prices may get a few more bums on seats, but not many more. the standard of football has been poor and would actually put people off from returning again.

smilingmart

I must say I have a different take on this.

The club have put 700 names on the new third kit at £10 (I think) each. Thats 7 grand. Then if 600 buy the shirt at 40 quid thats anotheR 24 grand on top = 31k grand total.

To be honest I bought the last 3rd shirt with the season ticket names but wouldnt have bought another one just a season later so the club havent lost 40 quid by me not buying another shirt exactly the same as the last one.

To summarise another season ticket shirt wouldnt have sold as well as the last, and the club have got an extra 31k to add to their annual turnover.

Not all doom and gloom if you ask me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The problem with the season ticket holders shirt was that it excluded a number of fans like myself for whom it didn't make sense to buy a season ticket when you could only make about half our home games. The club should had offered names on that shirt at £10. However, I take Mart's point that the club won't do badly out of this.

S

Seanyb

Boz said:
The problem with the season ticket holders shirt was that it excluded a number of fans like myself for whom it didn't make sense to buy a season ticket when you could only make about half our home games. The club should had offered names on that shirt at £10. However, I take Mart's point that the club won't do badly out of this.

Yes I agree totally. If this shirt had season ticket holders on the shirt, say for £3 and non-season ticket holders on the shirt for the £10 then it would of been more successful. A quick estimate, if all 4,000 season ticket holders paid £3 each, then an extra £12,000!

P.S. Apologises for an earlier outburst!!

4000 more names..................... jesus christ how big are we thinking the shirts are going to get????

youd have to sign a team full of fatties ie ruddock, paul stewart, molby, tomas brolin etc just to fit all the names on

either that or they'd be printed in a top secret micro font only visible with a magnifying glass

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Seanyb said:
ell how many names were on the 1st supporters shirt?
In theory it had every season ticket holders name. Which I believe would be around the 4,000 mark. Although it depended on the cutting of the fabric.

Let's say your name is Joe Bloggs and you owned a season ticket. Some of the shirts didn't have Joe Bloggs on, it was on the fabric used to make the shirt but, the names were printed in sheets and the shirts were cut out from them. Some shirts would have had Joe Bloggs on only once, perhaps badly placed in an armpit or half across a sleeve or collar. Some shirts used the same areas of fabric more than once, so would have Joe Bloggs on both the front and back, for instance.

I remember that if you wanted your specific name then you had to check that it was there before buying the shirt, as not every shirt had every name.

DixieDean

yeah i got that shirt bought for me as a pressie and they didnt check whether my name was on it. As it happens only the first 5 letters of my name appeared (the rest disappeared into the seam!).