• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v The Foxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Big game this one, so let's start the thread a few days in advance.
The big question being.. Can we beat runaway leaders Leicester?

Personally, I think it's a big ask, but we did fare quite well with them earlier on in the season, but since then, they've gone on and won an impressive 22 games and only lost 2 all season!

Looking at the form table over the last six games, they have won two and drew four whereas we have one won, drew three and lost two.

I think we'd do well to get a draw here. Leicester are obviously too good for this division and it'll be a tough game.

Team news coming over the next few days.
bet365 have us as 9/4 to win, 9/4 for the draw and 11/10 for leicester to win.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We've a good record at home and quite often step up for the big occasions. A win would be massive, a loss wouldn't quite mean the end of our playoff chase but we're running out of games. Leicester are a lot better than anyone else in this league but they can also afford to take their foot off the gas now that they're as good as promoted. We need to be at the top of our game but I think we can at least get a point on Wednesday - then hopefully beat Huddersfield. There's little point looking in advance of that (we could lose both games and be out of it by then) but if we can begin to pick up the points away from home that our recent performances have merited we could well be in with a shout.

I'm looking forward to seeing this new winger we have on loan - sounds like he did well at the weekend! Would like to see Gornell in for Savage personally as I think we need someone a bit more clinical around the box against a team that won't defend poorly and won't give away clear cut chances as charitably as we're used to in this division. Hopefully Achto will retain his place. I wouldn't be surprised to see Shukes return somehow, but can't see how he'd fit in given current form of wingers and, with Savage having scored at the weekend, I expect him to start up front again with Moore (ruling out 4-4-1-1)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with SonkORLY? about the likely team selection. If Danny Mayor is a decent winger then Gornell, if fit, is better equiped to make use of crosses and should at least be on the bench. Bas will start after ending his goal drought at the weekend. Feel sorry for Shukes, who was doing well in the 4-4-1-1 line-up, but no obvious way back at present. Leicester were only a 95th minute equaliser away from losing at the franchise, who'd not impressed at PP, so there is hope for Rovers. Not expecting a crowd of more than 6k.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I like the fact that we've got two young, decent wingers. It showed at Northampton. They were fresh and provided another dimension to the team. The chances they had, really we should have buried them and Bas' goal was a typical old fashioned goal, just what I like to see. Good cross from the right and the big target man heading in. It's simple but effective. No good having a 6'4" target man on the wing!

Let's have some more of that on Wednesday. I don't really feel sorry for Shukes. He's had plenty of chances to impress and hasn't. He played well for a few games under the 4411 but as a winger in a 442 he's mostly ineffective. And you wonder why Barnsley got rid of him.. He was decent when he first came to the club. Maybe he's a confidence player, but that doesn't help us right now. We just need to start getting wins.

That's what you want to hear. I hope they do!!

I'd stick with Savage for this one. As long as he can stay in his position, he can be a threat with decent service. Gornell might be out of his depth a bit. Leicester have a relatively young defence, so get Bas in there to shake them up a bit.

The defence really need to be on top form as well. Goodison and Chorley have to be strong and do not lose focus. Leading divisions goalscorer Fryatt is very dangerous with 23 goals as is the old head of Steve Howard. He's a big, strong centre forward. Let's hope Goodison's fully fit!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Shuker has never been the same since the injury he sustained v Carlisle and can only justify a place at present in a 4-4-1-1 formation. Barnett is undoubtedly a decent player, but is he really a left-winger? Savage has squandered enough chances from crosses, not to get me that excited when he finally converts one. Hopefully this will give him the confidence to stick in/around the box, but if not, Gornell should replace him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
How many times have we seen decent service to Bas? There's not many crosses that go square onto his head, and that's because we dont have great crosses of the ball. Admittedly, Bas doesn't do himself any favours when he wonders out wide, but if he can stay in position and we have wingers that can find his head, he can score a lot more. We only really use his height when he's bringing down a goal kick or hoof. We should use it a lot more in the penalty area.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I agree with you, Ian, that the service from crosses hasn't been great, Bas hasn't look particularly threatening in the air from set pieces or open play. On what I've seen so far don't expect him to get a bucketload of goals now, but will be delighted to be proved wrong!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, yes, I understand what your saying. I think my point being that with better service he would get more goals, but I guess that could apply to anyone! I just think his height isn't used to full effect.

Moore has the final word on Bas:
He added: "I'm glad for Bas that he got the goal. I think he's still got to improve his dancing - it was a shocker on Saturday. The more goals he scores, the better his dancing will get."

Moving on.. what do we think the attendance will be? Boz isn't expecting more than 6k but Ronnie hopes it will be a bumper crowd. Not sure what cloud he's on, but Leicester will bring a fair few, so I'm thinking around the 6500 mark.

Really hope it's a good atmosphere. Playing the top team, you want these games to have a bit of spice to them.

Player
Goodison
I would like to see the 4-4-1-1 played, but given Shuker's poor form perhaps they could play this instead:

Mayor Jennings Kay Creswell

Barnett

Moore

Barnett isn't a winger but he keeps the teams shape and can be dangerous when he cuts inside and he does a much better job then Sonko ever will!

Player
Liam Palmer
Not a great set of results for us tonight. pressure's really on for the next two games. Anything less than 4 points and we can forget it.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Probably yeah, but I maintain that Leeds and Oldham are the crunch games that are individually worth as much as both of these home games put together. At least Scunny lost.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We can right off the Oldham game. When did we last beat them at Boundary Park? It hasn't been in the last 8/9 season at least! I agree with Tartantranmere64. Four points from the next two games it has to be.

With the results last night, a win will keep us hanging in just below the top six. My mind is telling me draw tonight. Just dont think we're strong enough to beat The Foxes. Hope I'm wrong!

Team news
Tranmere goalkeeper Danny Coyne is hoping to return between the posts when runaway League One leaders Leicester visit Prenton Park.

The Welshman, who made four Premier League appearances for the Foxes in 2003/04, has missed Rovers' last six games with a medial ligament injury. Goalkeeping coach John Achterberg has deputised with a series of impressive displays, but his fitness is now in doubt due to an ear infection.

Coyne could now be asked to play through the pain barrier and return to the side after being on the bench for Tranmere's last three games.

Strikers Craig Curran (back and stomach) and Chris Greenacre (foot) remain sidelined through injury but are rapidly stepping up their recovery programmes and could soon be back in contention. Key defender Ian Goodison is still nursing a groin strain but is expected to face Leicester.

Leicester boss Nigel Pearson will be reluctant to make changes. The Foxes destroyed Cheltenham 4-0 at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday in an impressive all-round display which extended their unbeaten league run to 23 matches.

Tom Cleverley, 19, was restored to the starting line-up against the Robins and he impressed on the right side of midfield by claiming his second goal of the season. Max Gradel was also drafted back into the side after missing out in the previous match against Stockport. He similarly impressed and Pearson must now decide whether to retain both men in his side to face a Tranmere outfit boasting a strong home record.

On-loan Hull defender Wayne Brown is expected to remain sidelined with a calf problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.