• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Stags

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky Adams' first game in charge, needing to stop the rot quickly. Haven't a clue how we'll line up, but he's loaned Gnanduillet from Chesterfield, a big French striker, who hasn't scored this season, but has a better strike record than Barker or Donnelly. The Red scouse aren't playing, so hurricane residue permitting, there should be a reasonable turnout with maybe a couple of hundred from Notts.

Prediction: 4.3k crowd to see a 1-1 draw

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
With all the comings and going over the last few days, this game has spice to it as we all want to see what MA does with the squad. I know a few stay-aways that are going tomorrow so at least, in terms of getting the belief back, Palios seems to have made the correct decisions. Don't think we should kid ourselves though, there's no magic pill for confidence like MA says. I think the new lad with start up front and he seems a handful and, well, who knows who he'll pick.

Albeit a coupe of future loan-signings/trialists coming in, the squad we have really should be good enough to be challenging, and that's what where stuck with anyway, so let's see if MA can work his magic with them and get them playing a hell of a lot better than they have been. It's a tough task, but let's keep the faith. 3-0 Rovers haha

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Line ups are in. Pretty much self picked in defence, worryingly Laird and Kirby are preferred in the centre and the two new guys up front. Should be interesting..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, at least we didn't lose. But how did we not score with so many corners and goal attempts? Were Mansfield as woeful as the stats suggest? How did the new guys play? Why no Koumas or Richards - even on the bench? Are they injured or just not picked?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A much improved performance. We battered them but unfortunately could not find that elusive goal.

It was evident from the first five minutes that we are going to be much more physical and direct under Adams. I don't have any complaints with this, and while there was less football - or fannying around - in the centre of midfield, our attacking play was dynamic and exciting at times: we saw more goalmouth action in the first half an hour than in the last five or six games.

I was impressed with the new front pairing. They have contrasting styles but both had good energy and movement and better awareness of players around them than the people they replaced. Hopefully in time the goals will come. The new more direct style seemed to suit certain players who have struggled previously, and I thought Laird and even Kirby had decent games. Defensively I was please d that we adopted a 'take no prisoners' approach, clearing our lines at the earliest opportunity. Mansfield did not have an opportunity worthy of the name in the entire game, which emphasises how solid we were at the back and how woeful their performance was.

My only complaint would be that we banged the ball into the box too early on occasions, when a bit more quality and composure was needed to work an opening. Still, it was an encouraging display and hopefully the goals and victories will follow soon.

Man of the match, Danny Holmes, who put in an outstanding display as a stand-in left back.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was certainly a much improved performance and one of the most one-sided games I've seen at PP for a while. Mansfield were terrible to be truthful, but... for all our possession, corners etc how many saves did their keeper have to make? I'd say a handful. Really not good enough at home to be so on top and still not able to score. RLC mentions needing more quality to work an opening and it's sorely lacking in certain areas. To have that many corners and not really work the keeper is poor. Crossing was poor too, this needs to improve if we are to start scoring goals again.

The front two I though handled themselves really well. The big lad from Chesterfield put a real good shift in and showed some nice footwork (not sure about his shooting) and the guy from Cardiff looks handy too. Think it might take them another game or two before we start seeing some reward. Laird has one of his best game for us and the defence were solid even though they didn't have a great deal to deal with.

If we can start producing some quality in the final third and getting on the scoresheet, our results will improve.
It's early days but we took a point! A lot more than our last few games.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I agree with RLC a much improved performance by most of the team although I was disappointed with Power and for me Bell-Baggie should have started in place of Kirby who I thought was fairly anonymous for most of the game. Up front both Johnson and Gnanduillet added a freshness that's been missing for the season to date and given time and match practise I think they may well gel into a useful pairing and if so I hope we can get extensions to the current months loans. For the life of me though I just do not see what Odejayi adds to the squad.
In defence Donacien and Holmes were exceptional whilst Ihiekwe also had a good game.....I'm not so sure about Holness, he certainly does lump the ball although I'm not sure if he knows half the time where he's lumping it to and he certainly "took no prisoners" with his challenge on their no.8 who left the field wearing a splint by the looks of it.
It's just a pity that given such a dominant performance it was not rewarded with the goal it deserved, but given that the 2 new lads up front can't have had time training together before tonight's match, I'm fairly optimistic they will find the net when they get used to playing together.
MOM: Danny Holmes just shading out Donacien.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
First half was pretty poor from both sides, not helped by the wind and swirling rain or a puzzlingly inconsistent showing from Mr Harrington, the referee. Best chances came from a Max Power free-kick and a peach of a cross from Danny Holmes, which just needed a touch. Don't recall either side having a shot on target.

Second half, the weather steadied and Rovers were much better, but a succession of corners early on came to nothing. I'd agree with RLC that there was a need for a bit more subtlety in our attacking play. Thereafter, it was mostly Rovers, but a great last ditch tackle from Danny prevented a Mansfield break from our corner turning into something worse.

Defensively we were sound, though unsure OFW deserved to replace Brezovan, as the rare defensive jitters we did have were down to his failure to command the area. I think Kirby was preferred to Baggie to protect the full-back and I don't think Abdulai made much impact when coming on. Not wholly convinced by the forwards; Johnson looked a little rusty, but showed promising touches. Gnanduillet gamboled around the pitch, but made a few wrong choices and came close to getting sent off with a clumsy challenge when already on a yellow. Barker didn't look much like a forward, but did try some intelligent passes and runs.

BBTC queries the absence of Koumas and Richards. The former was injured, but unsure why young Eliot didn't appear even on the bench. I'd rather he'd come on as first sub, instead of the ineffectual Donnelly.

Agree with Danny Holmes as MoM.

Player
Manager
John King
I would not agree with Boz's assessment of Gnanduillet. I thought he was a real handful all game and was confident and mobile. He also actually made use of his considerable physical bulk, unlike the completely ineffective Odejayi. I don't think he will score many goals (although his stats are better than Odejayi's or Donnelly's) but he will be a useful to partner to Johnson. I think the fee kick Boz refers to was actually by Johnson, a peach of a strike with his left foot.

I agree that Brezovan should have remained in goal: Fon Williams' command of his area was hopeless again last night.

I think Richards has been carrying an injury, but he may simply have spat his dummy out as he was very close to Edwards.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would agree that Gnanduillet is better than Odejayi, but have my reservations. I'd forgotten about the Johnson effort which was towards the end of the half, but think there was a decent free-kick into the box from Power earlier in the game.

It would be a surprise if that's true of Richards, who doesn't strike me as an obvious dummy-spitter. Laird was preferred to Gill also, which must have hurt our former assistant manager.

Player
Manager
John King
It would be a surprise if that's true of Richards, who doesn't strike me as an obvious dummy-spitter.

I would not want to be too harsh on him, but I could imagine that he perhaps was not the liveliest in training in the couple of days following Edwards' departure. I still think he is a good player though, and definitely want him in the squad ahead of Odejayi and Donnelly.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It seems that Richards may be available for loan and isn't in Micky's plans. Disappointing if so, as I'd agree with RLC he is a better option than Donnelly/Odejayi.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It seems that Richards may be available for loan and isn't in Micky's plans. Disappointing if so, as I'd agree with RLC he is a better option than Donnelly/Odejayi.
I agree. Yes, we are awash with strikers, but none of them have any great pedigree. At least Eliot has scored a few goals in his short career. I can think of others who I'd prefer to go out on loan. But in fairness to Micky, he is changing the formation, which should create more scoring opportunities for our goal-shy forwards.

Player
Manager
John King
It is disappointing about Richards. Given that we are now adopting a more 'up and at 'em' approach, Micky probably does not see Richards as having the presence to play up front, or the attributes to play as a genuine winger. Still, I won't complain about the pack being shuffled if we start scoring goals in the near future.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No great loss if we don't see Richards again. He didn't bring much to the team and drifted for large parts of games. The only real threat we have is Stockton who can score a goal but comes with his weaknesses. I'd really like to offload a lot of our goal shy strikers and get some quality in, but easier said than done. Maybe Micky can work wonders and get them scoring.