• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Dale

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rochdale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Dale
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, October 25, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 25, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shows how desperate we were for options up front.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Shows how desperate we were for options up front.
What is also concerning is that our current central midfield pairing doesn't look likely to contribute on the goals scoring front. Neither has ever scored in club football. In any team. you'd expect the centre mids to chip in with 5/6 in a season but the likelihood of Merrie or O'Connor doing that is very unlikely.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Although both wide midfielders and Lewis are regular scorers. Both centre halves are capable of chipping in as well.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What is also concerning is that our current central midfield pairing doesn't look likely to contribute on the goals scoring front. Neither has ever scored in club football. In any team. you'd expect the centre mids to chip in with 5/6 in a season but the likelihood of Merrie or O'Connor doing that is very unlikely.
That's a surprising - even shocking - statistic. Both have played over 60 games in midfield and a few at full-back. Even our back four have all chipped in. ;)

The trouble is that they are both short, defensive midfielders. You can't expect surging runs or explosive shots from them and they don't come up for corners.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Merrie got himself close to the edge of the box on at least a couple of occasions in a potential shooting position, but chose to pass it sideways. Possibly a confidence thing?
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”.

Player
Manager
John King
The trouble is that they are both short, defensive midfielders. You can't expect surging runs or explosive shots from them and they don't come up for corners.
I think this is the key. The way we set up tactically they are expected to sit relatively deep and shield the defence, not bomb into the box. In a 442 with two wingers, the goalscoring opportunities of the central midfielders will always be limited.

I don't think there is a goalscoring problem in our starting line up. Hemmings, Nevitt, Lewis. Morris and Hawkes can all contribute goals. I think the lack of striking or wide midfield options on the bench is the issue.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I think this is the key. The way we set up tactically they are expected to sit relatively deep and shield the defence, not bomb into the box. In a 442 with two wingers, the goalscoring opportunities of the central midfielders will always be limited.

I don't think there is a goalscoring problem in our starting line up. Hemmings, Nevitt, Lewis. Morris and Hawkes can all contribute goals. I think the lack of striking or wide midfield options on the bench is the issue.
My point exactly pre- Rochdale.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Looked at the highlights. For the Rochdale goal, there is a big shout of offside from somewhere and when you first see Henderson he is well in front of the two defenders. Was there someone off the screen playing him on? Had the defenders switched off thinking there was going to be a flag? Not convinced looking back that Doohan is the main one at fault here.

Lee O'Connor was an Elliott Nevitt 'making sure' touch away from opening his Rovers account v Crewe. Agree with what's been said about their positioning reducing the prospects of getting on the score-sheet and Merrie sometimes takes corners. As others remarked there are enough potential goals in the team for this not to be a major concern.

Having heard Micky post-match, while I follow his reasoning, unsure that I'd agree with his decision not to make any changes last night. My thought was a number of players were looking jaded and the way we were playing didn't seem that likely to yield another goal, so why not try something different? Maybe McAlear who's a bigger unit than the starting midfield pair so would have given Dale something different to think about, or even introduce Jake Burton for some additional pace.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don’t think we really needed to make any changes. The lads were looking sharp and put Rochdale under a lot of pressure and continued right up to the final whistle. We were all hoping someone was going to put it in the net and although we came very close it just wasn’t to be.

I do think it’s easier to be critical after the event however.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought the centre halves were as culpable as Doohan for the goal. Henderson is a class operator even if he is a bit long in the tooth, and I don't think they read his movement. He actually ran clear a few minutes earlier in a very similar situation, but we were saved by the linesman's flag on that occasion.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought the centre halves were as culpable as Doohan for the goal. Henderson is a class operator even if he is a bit long in the tooth, and I don't think they read his movement. He actually ran clear a few minutes earlier in a very similar situation, but we were saved by the linesman's flag on that occasion.
Yes, he did make a few good runs and would have outpaced Turnbull easily.