• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Crawley (3)

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Crawley

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Crawley (3)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 23, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 23, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Three points a must on Saturday if we’re to keep our slim play off chances alive. I don’t think we’ll get there but nice to have something riding on it. Crawley are the same and actually are in a better position than us. They sit 9th in the league just a point off the play offs but with games in hand on most teams. Crawleys charge up the table has been based on recent form. Before their Monday night draw with Stockport they had won 5 out of their last 6 games and are peaking at the right time. There away form is half decent with 7 wins and 8 defeats. One to watch is top scorer Orsi who has 17 league goals this season.

As for rovers we are usually strong at home and confidence can’t be any higher after the recent Wrexham and Mansfield wins. It will be interesting whether Crawley come on to us as much as those sides did, or whether they sit back a bit. Despite their play off ambitions with games in hand and our current form I’m sure they would take a point.

As for team selection and assuming everyone is fit I’m expecting the same starting eleven as last Saturday. Tom Davies is of course captain but it doesn’t send out a great message if Yarney is dropped after last week. Similarly Morris might come back in but who would be dropped out of Jennings, Norris or Saunders? None I’m guessing unless injured so I’m expecting the same team.

Play offs highly unlikely, but let’s hope we can keep the good vibes going.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would stick with the same team as Saturday as no one deserves to be dropped.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
After the last two matches it is clear Nigel sets up very much depending on the scouting reports. As I haven't a clue about Crawley, I'll just guess it will be much the same but with a possible nod to physicality or speed. Hunch Morris back in for Saunders, you'd expect Davies to resume if fit.
Nought to lose, draw useless for us

We owe them one after that 96th minute winner they got lucky with in the reverse fixture, Adkins’ first game in charge. A game better remembered for Walker’s pass of the season to set up Taylor’s goal.

I assume they’re persevering with their tippy tappy football, and still trying to exploit the full width of the pitch, although I guess they might be more compact away from home. Either way, I think their style will suit us.

Might need to be patient but Rovers to win. By a two goal margin.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Tricky game against an inform opponent, I fobt recognise many if any of their team. Think Davies will return for Yarney and we will nick it 2 1.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Keep working with me on this AM and KH. I’m going for another win. ;)

I was at the away game and it was a bummer losing so late after leading twice. Sam’s goal deserved to win any game, but we cracked under pressure and conceded two late goals to admittedly the better side on the day. Now our defence is better organised and we are able to see most games out.

We should be buzzing and will be competitive tomorrow. I’m more worried about Bradford City away.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Davies will come back into the side if he is fit. Davies and Turnbull is still by far our best centre half partnership, and Adkins has not been sentimental about leaving players out after they have deputised successfully in the past (Merrie, Hawkes etc).

I don't think it is certain Norris will play, purely due to fitness issues. We may be wary of starting him in successive matches.

As Crawley have two games in hand, we really need to win to stand any chance of making the top seven. I think it will be a narrow Rovers victory.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting Brad Walker says pre match that he played centre back all season when he got promoted with Port Vale. He did well at Wrexham second half but just shows he’s experienced in that position

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. A couple of extracts:

“Let’s face it, I didn’t have any intention of becoming a League Two manager again,” he says. “I love it, but I hadn’t gone in search of being a manager. I’d not applied for any jobs. Sometimes it can be classed as being a young man’s game but I still feel like an 18-year-old on the training ground. It was a logical decision because I care about the club. I’ll always be a Tranmere Rovers fan and I’ll always do whatever I can to help.”

Upon accepting the position of technical director at Tranmere, the plan was to work a couple of days a week helping to review and improve practices, from recruitment to rehabilitation, and spend time with his parents, who still live on the Wirral, his wife, Angie, and his two-year-old grandson, Ollie. A trip to Japan to celebrate Angie’s 60th birthday last month had to be put on the back burner. “As my wife said to me: ‘So much for two days a week,’” Adkins says, laughing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pre match the Crawley manager makes the point that apparently we’ve had more penalties given to us at home this season than any other team in England.

Clearly mind games for the ref!!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One positive is their most recent captain centre back Jay Williams isn’t available for the visitors

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pre match the Crawley manager makes the point that apparently we’ve had more penalties given to us at home this season than any other team in England.

Clearly mind games for the ref!!
Interesting stat Sparky. We’ve another NL ref on trial, Stephen Parkinson who’s only done a couple of FL games and after the difficulties the newbie ref had v Sutton, obvious concerns about that.

I tend to think that Davies, if fully fit, will come back into the starting xi and perhaps one or two other changes.The visitors are a decent footballing side and have done better than expected despite their oddball owners. Hard to call but 0-0 very unlikely!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just at Vauxhalls for kids matches and it is blowing a gale. Could make this afternoon interesting.

It might be slightly different than Mansfield and Wrexham games. Perhaps more expectation from the SWA given our form although Crawley are no mugs. They won’t bring many fans but hopefully that and the weather won’t dampen the atmosphere and it’s not a case of after the Lord Mayors show….